Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Overheating or Something Else

This is a discussion on Overheating or Something Else within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I am running the following system: GA-7VT600 1394 Motherboard AMD Athlone XP 2800 Processor Radeon 9800 Pro Graphics Card

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

I am running the following system:

GA-7VT600 1394 Motherboard
AMD Athlone XP 2800 Processor
Radeon 9800 Pro Graphics Card
1.02 Gig memory

This is not a thing that has just happened but after about 10 months of it i thought if i would see if anybody can try to sort out this problem. Basically my PC keeps rebooting when i put a little (and i mean little) workload on it. if i try to play card games my pc will reboot if i try to copy stuff my pc reboots.

I think i can safely say it is to do with overheating because i have downloaded many programs to see what temp my motherboard and CPU and System fans are running at. and they all say that one of the temps on one of my fans is reading 60 degrees celsius. I thought this was my CPU fan but after i checked the CPU fan with 2 others i have i think i could rule that out. If i use the other CPU fans the Speed drops down to about 2678 rpm but when i put my original CPU fan in it goes to 5230, after putting the original CPU fan in the temp has dropped to a constant 55 Celsius so i suppose i am getting there.

I have 4 fans and an exhuast thingy (lol) in my pc and it keeps it really cool inside the case (temp at an average of about 17 -10 Celsius)

I looked at previous post and ran a software program called speed fan and i thought i only had 2 fans to look at but on the speedfan i get the following info (sorry i am not sure how to attach image)

Fan 1 - 5440 RPM Temp1 33C
Fan 2 - 2670 RPM Temp2 32C
Fan 3 - 0 RPM Temp3 55C
HDO 35C

What i would like to know is what is or wher is fan 3 and what is HDO?

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 12:37 PM   #2

do a reapply of thermal compound}

https://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

what power supply is installed?
Old 06-15-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have done a new application of thermal paste and that brought it down the 5 degrees, i am using a 550 w PSU (cant remember the make)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #4

Check to make sure the heatsink and case fans are working. Also take a can of compressed air and clear your case out of dust
Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

I have checked all the case fans and heatsinks and are working (unless i have missed any) and have cleaned the case with compressed air but still get same results
Old 06-15-2006, 02:11 PM   #6

If you can get a temp of your video card, that would be nice.

Or just stick your finger on the chip while it's running (if there's no fan, duh, that is...). Make sure if there is a fan it is spinning. Caution: do not get hypnotized. Often unsuspecting computer users will inadvertantly look directly into a spinning video card or CPU fan and, after a long-period of amnesia, they wake up horrified to realize that they (somehow) voted Republican. Apparantly the endless and meaningless high-speed circling has that effect on some people.

Just a bit of friendly advice.

Consider the possiblity that your 550 PSU is either a good one going bad, or a cheap one that was never good enough to begin with. Post your PS specs for opinions on it's quality & reputation.

Also this might be a good situation for speedfan. If I remember correctly, speedfan will monitor your temps and write them to a log at an interval you specify (like every 10 seconds or so). When running, force the system to crash and see if speedfan will tell you what temperture "spiked" (if it did) just before the crash.

Also, check the log in the Event Viewer and pay special attention to the times when the computer reboots. You might a pattern where certain message(s) consistantly happen just before the crash. That might help.

Also, there's some value to doing some general troubleshooting, just in case it's something non-specificly or directly related to heat or power. Like hardware conflicts. It's always a good idea to check Device Manager anytime there is a problem because it's very fast & easy. Don't forget to check "Show Hidden Devices" and look for any red or yellow flags.

Finally, how possible is it that your Overclocked, or your memory timings are too tight ? Have you changed anything ? Is it possible someone else did ? It might be a good idea to go into BIOS and set everything to factory default (in case it is not) and see if that fixes it.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Have checked the Video Card and spinning quite nicely, My PSU is called

Switching Power Supply Model No KY-600ATX 500W (thought it was 550....sorry)

Not sure about the other stuff
Old 06-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Hi,

Go into bios and list the temps and voltages from there after the computer has been idle in bios for 15 minutes
Old 06-15-2006, 06:18 PM   #9

I'm not done yet, but I found a hit on Google that indicates your power supply is a piece of dookie and may be the cause of your problems.

https://forum.abit-usa.com/archive/index.php/t-106387.html

This is a thread in a forum where the User knows the PS is junk before he asks for help, then later confirms that it was the cause of his problem. Let me do more research and I'll post back.

EDIT ***

Okay I'm pretty sure your PSU is a Raidmax, although I can't confirm it because the Raidmax site is extremly poor. If it is a Raidmax, it is no longer being sold.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:51 AM   #10
Registered Member

I went into the BIOS and got the following results:

Current System Temp 35 degrees C
Current CPU Temp 54 Degrees C
Current CPU Fan Speed 5443 RPM
Current System Fan Speed 2678 RPM

With regards to the PSU i have only had that for about 1 year and its the 1st time i have bought something that was more expensive than others, i thought because it cost more it would produce better performance.

One more thing, if you look at my 1st post it has the following:

Fan 1 - 5440 RPM Temp1 33C
Fan 2 - 2670 RPM Temp2 32C
Fan 3 - 0 RPM Temp3 55C

Where is Fan 3 on my motherboard and could that be a cause for overheating?

many thanks
Old 06-16-2006, 06:10 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Tell us where your fans are in your system and we can tell you which is fan 3 for sure. Places where fans are found are:

1. As part of your processor heatsink (usually blowing down onto your processor, some designs are different).
2. At the back of your case (pulling air out).
3. At the front of your case (pulling air in).
4. On the northbridge chip (system fan) - This is usually close to your processor and will have a heatsink of its own on it. Your northbridge doesn't always have a fan, mine doesn't and my temps are OK even with a 25% overclock.
5. There really should be two fans in your power supply, one inside the case pulling air into it and one at the back blowing warm air out. If you only have one fan it's OK but not the best.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:21 AM   #12
Registered Member

I have my CPU Fan
I have one on the side of the case when i open up pc and that is blowing in
I have 2 at the back of my case the top one is blowing in and the bottom is blowing out, these are next to each other. The one at the bottom is connected directly to the motherboard.
I have one at the front of the case, this is at the bottom and it is blowing in
I also have on of those exhaust fans (i think its called that) and it is at the bottom of my case on the last PCI slot but it isnt a PCI one though.
The Northbridge fan as you call it is a Gigabyte 8 AGP X and is located wher you state it should be

All fans except the one at the back of the case are connected via the PSU, as mentioned before the one at the back is connected to the motherboard.

Hope this helps
Old 06-16-2006, 07:04 AM   #13

It may not be the cause of your problems, but it is wrong and should be fixed.

Quote:
I have 2 at the back of my case the top one is blowing in and the bottom is blowing out...
Both of these should be blowing in the same direction. Typically, the front fan is the intake (in) and any fan(s) on the back are exhaust. This cause a unidirectional flow throughout the entire case. Cooler air in on one side (usually the front), warmer air out the other. An exception to this might be a side-mounted fan, which is usually an "in" and is usually directed at the CPU to provide additional cooling to it.

With your two back fans blowing in different directions, first you are losing half of your exhaust capability (which in my opinion is more important than intake, since intake can be passive if necessary) and second, the warm exhaust from the "out" fan is being pulled right back in by the adjacent "in" fan.

How serious this is, I cannot say. But with 3 fans running (a good number, but unusually high) your above-average (quantity of) hardware is configured poorly. I would fix this immediately.

EDIT ***
It just occured to me that the unusual number of fans (5 I think you said, 3 dase, 1 CPU and 1 Northbridge - do you have a video card fan also ?) plus the poor fan configuration (increase case heat), plus the "suspected" quality issues of your PSU may all be contributing to an underpowered and overheated system that results in your current symptoms.

What you could do (as a cheap troubleshooting method) is to remove the side panel, disconnect your 3 case fans (therby reducing power consumption) and put a large box fan (like what people put in windows) and let it blow (lots of) air on & into the entire the entire box.

This should cool the interior of the case better than your 3 case fans does, and the reduction in power use may cause your symptoms to go away.

If it does, then you may have found your problem(s).
Old 06-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #14
Registered Member

Thanks drbillchristian

I will try that and let you know the results soonest
Old 06-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #15
Registered Member

I have run this for 4 hours now with all the fans disconnected and am using a large external fan to blow on the inside and my temp has stayed at a steady 50 degrees so seems to be the fans????

What next please
Old 06-16-2006, 07:23 PM   #16

I quickly reread your thread and this is your primary symptom (I think):

Quote:
Basically my PC keeps rebooting when i put a little (and i mean little) workload on it.
And you said:

Quote:
I have run this for 4 hours now...
But neglected to mention if you put a "workload" on it throughout the entire 4 hours. I think we can assume you did, but if not, please try to do so for a period of time (whatever you think will definiatively prove that the primary symptom is no longer happening).

But for now I think it's clear you have a heat issue, the question is what/where etc...

The most critical possible cause for overheating I can think of is a dirty, clogged CPU fan. Make sure it is clean, and it's a good idea to apply some arctic silver to the fan/CPU die interface. a drop 1/3 the size of a pencil eraser is almost too much, to give you as sense of proportion.

Second, HD's generate a lot of heat. If you can spread them out a bit to help the airflow that will help.

Finally, rearranging your fans as was mentioned previously is a good idea.

These are the easy fixes. You could also improve the CPU fan to something better.

Oh it just occured to me. Is it possible that the way your computer was positioned might have blocked the case airflow ? Sometimes draps or other fabric might choke off the air flow.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:55 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbillchristian
Oh it just occured to me. Is it possible that the way your computer was positioned might have blocked the case airflow ? Sometimes draps or other fabric might choke off the air flow.
That reminds me I had my system in one of those cubby hole type desks where it had about 4 inches on either side which I though was plenty of room. As the summer approached I started noticing it was like a heater in my lap I felt the case and the whole computer felt about 100F+ on the outside! My internal temp was at 122F even though my processor was idle at 96F. I pulled the case out and set it on top of my desk next to my monitor with plenty of airflow and the case has been cool to the touch ever since. Internal temps around 104F and processor idles at 86F. Big difference for a little move.
Closed Thread