Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

overheating issue

This is a discussion on overheating issue within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. the problem is my cpu is overheating and causing my system to automatically shutdown within 2 minutes or so what

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #1

the problem is my cpu is overheating and causing my system to automatically shutdown within 2 minutes or so

what ive done:

I've tried 3 different motherboards and the same problem occurs, first thing i did was go into bios and monitor my cpu temps. what happens is it starts around 50c or so and sky rockets to about 100C within a minute or so before it shuts off. i've tried putting on a fresh coat of thermal paste as well to no avail, it didnt even slow it down at all. should i just buy a new cpu?

i havent been able to flash bios because it shuts down before i get a chance too.

current system:
xp pro
Intel Core 2 due e6850
GIGABYTE GA-X38-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
2 gigs patriot extreme performance ddr2 800 (pc 6400)
nvidia 8800 gts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

what is your PSU? It could be a bad one, and is messing up your system.

Can you try another one? (at least a 600W and a reputable brand name?)
Old 02-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman2202 View Post
what is your PSU? It could be a bad one, and is messing up your system.

Can you try another one? (at least a 600W and a reputable brand name?)
yeah i forgot to mention i've tried two different psu. one was an nvidia and the current one is a silver stone, both 500w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #4

I suppose it's possible, however unlikely, that you got stuck with two bad PSUs. If you decide to try out a third, then I'd recommend ThermalTake. The one I got from them hasn't failed me for years.

What does the cooling layout look like in your system? (i.e. how many intake/exhaust fans?) Does your heatsink have a fan to keep circulating the air near the CPU? What kind of heatsink and thermal paste are you using by the way?

Best wishes,
FrozenFoxy
Old 02-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenFoxy View Post
I suppose it's possible, however unlikely, that you got stuck with two bad PSUs. If you decide to try out a third, then I'd recommend ThermalTake. The one I got from them hasn't failed me for years.

What does the cooling layout look like in your system? (i.e. how many intake/exhaust fans?) Does your heatsink have a fan to keep circulating the air near the CPU? What kind of heatsink and thermal paste are you using by the way?

Best wishes,
FrozenFoxy

well the first PSU i tried worked great on my old system so i doubt its the psu

well the entire time i've been inside the computer messing with this stuff i usually start it up with the side pannel off so it can get maximum air flow. the heatsink is the standard one that comes with intel cpus, it has a heatsink and a fan.

im using the antec silver bullet thermal compound by the way
Old 02-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #6

I highly suggest you close the box before turning it on as you may get other issues like RFI causing unpredictable results.

I also suggest using a different thermal compound than Antec Silver Bullet such as Arctic Silver 5, or even better Arctic Cooling MX-2.
https://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
https://www.arctic-cooling.com/further_prod2.php?idx=140

I usually don't do Intel, so I'm not familiar with their heatsink standards. You may want to look into that as well for safety sake.

Finally, since it is a new computer there is a distinct possibility that more power is required to run it than your old one. Just because a PSU worked in your old system doesn't necessarily mean it'll work in a new system. You may just require more wattage in that area.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
FrozenFoxy
Old 02-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenFoxy View Post
I highly suggest you close the box before turning it on as you may get other issues like RFI causing unpredictable results.

I also suggest using a different thermal compound than Antec Silver Bullet such as Arctic Silver 5, or even better Arctic Cooling MX-2.
https://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
https://www.arctic-cooling.com/further_prod2.php?idx=140

I usually don't do Intel, so I'm not familiar with their heatsink standards. You may want to look into that as well for safety sake.

Finally, since it is a new computer there is a distinct possibility that more power is required to run it than your old one. Just because a PSU worked in your old system doesn't necessarily mean it'll work in a new system. You may just require more wattage in that area.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
FrozenFoxy
i also have a 500w silver stone w 2 12v rails, you think i should get a higher wattage though?
Old 02-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
Troubled

My System

Yes, reapply thermal compound. EVERY TIME YOU REMOVE THE COOLER> You have abasic overheating problem, i can't see it being anything to do with the PSU to be honest. Clear out dust, reapply TIM and monitor.
Closed Thread