Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Overclocking Problem: Need Help Finding Source Of Bluescreen

This is a discussion on Overclocking Problem: Need Help Finding Source Of Bluescreen within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been working on overclocking my e4300 for the last couple of days. I've finally gotten very close to what

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #1

I've been working on overclocking my e4300 for the last couple of days. I've finally gotten very close to what I assume will be my final stable settings but I keep getting a blue screen. I'm not quite sure what settings to tweak. Any help would be most appreciated.

1st Blue Screen
Time Orthos Ran Before BS: 4HR 23MIN
vCore: 1.3v + 0.1375v
NB: 1.3v
Note: 1st BS happened overnight while I was sleeping

2nd Blue Screen
Time Orthos Ran Before BS: 4HR 36MIN
vCore: 1.3v + 0.1500v
NB: 1.3v
Note: 2nd BS happended right as a DVD finished ripping.

3rd Blue Screen
Time Orthos Ran Before BS: 5MIN
vCore: 1.3v + 0.1500v
NB: 1.35v
Note: 1st BS happened while I was reading my email in my web browser.

OTHER SETTINGS
  • Test run in Orthos was the Small FFTs - Stress CPU test
  • The south bridge, memory voltage, and FFT voltage are all stock
  • BIOS is latest revision (1.4)
  • FSB is 1400 (3.15GHz)
  • Memory timings are set to 4-4-4-12 (stock rated values)
  • Intel SpeedStep is enabled
  • C1E is enabled (by default and does not appear in the BIOS to disable)
Note About Memory: I've tested my RAM on two occassions, 12+ hours each time, in memtest86+ and no errors were reported. I'm using a 650i motherboard which allows me to use "manual" settings (often referred to as "unlinked") for the FSB and memory speeds. My BIOS confirms that my memory is running at 800MHz which is its default rating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 08:07 AM   #2

I have seen the Blue Screen more than a few times and more often than not it was produced by CPU and or Ram overloads caused by System software. Errors cause tremendous load surges in the system. Multiple surges cause the Blue Screen of Death. I have seen the same issues, overload with errors, from 98SE to Vista Home Premium which I am currently running in an HP Pavilion a6077c Asus P5LP-LE 4400.

I have isolated or removed three Vista programs that have caused overload and have changed my settings without permission, denied access to my software, have incorrectly identified my software, and locked me out of my software. The three are.

1.)Windows Defender
2.)Windows User Account Control
3.)Windows Vista autotunning

y
Old 08-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #3

Running Windows XP Pro SP2. I'm pretty familiar with it as I've been an avid OS Settings Tweaker since it was first released. While these machines are clean installs that have virtually no settings changed, I'm still pretty damn sure the OS isn't producing these errors. 3DMark06 on the other hand is a program I have not used before. The fact that it froze during a loading screen, when temps and cpu/mem load are much lower than during testing, also has me thinking the program is probably to blame. I've been trying to come up with a better and more reliable way to test my GPU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

does your power supply have the extra power available for overclocking

Old 08-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #5

It has more than enough. As far as research goes, it took me about a month to decide on all the parts before purchasing them, I spent the most time picking out the PSU. I picked the Thermaltake Toughpower series because of its solid record of high performance under heavy load situations. There is more than enough power on the rails and these PSU's have a reputation for always providing constant and clean power without fluctuations of any kind.

I also used the PRO version of the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator to make sure I would have enough juice to power everything after I had overclocked my CPU. I inflated some of the values (capacitor aging, load, tdp, etc...) to make sure the PSU would last over the next couple of years as it started to age. My calculations even include a Quad CPU, 2nd 8800GTX in SLI, and more RAM for future proofing. Even with all of that my PSU still has plenty of power left over. I can say without doubt that my PSU is more than capable of handling my system :D
Old 08-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

try increasing your ram voltage slightly and see if there is an improvement
it's a change to see someone that thinks ahead most ignore the psu

Old 08-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #7

My BIOS doesn't tell me the current voltage of my RAM. It is set to Auto but I'm not sure how to check the voltage. I looked in CPU-Z but it didn't contain that info. Any idea how I could find the "Auto" voltage so I could raise it? Also how much should I raise it? I know hen overclocking a CPU you should move in increments of 0.0125v but not sure about memory.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #8

I forgot about posting in this thread after I fixed it. When I replied to this today I thought this was the video card crash problem I was responding to. My apologies.

I was able to get a stable 3.15GHz by upping the voltage to the vCore one last time and returning the NB back to 1.3v. It passed 24HR of straight Small FFTs testing in Orthos yesterday .
Old 08-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #9

In Bios you should find a setting for ram 1T/2T . Choose 1T. Your 4.4.4.12 ram is the fastest in it's grouping and will blow the doors off your GPU first off and then your CPU. If you can volt up your Ram more than 0.10v it would surprise me, because you will be clocking the GPU to keep up.

riva tuner:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/download737.html
ati tool:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/download4109.html
Old 08-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #10

Just curious. What do you mean by blow the doors off of my GPU first and then my CPU? Not quite sure what your saying. My RAM is currently manually defined at 2T because that is what Auto had it set to (according to CPU-Z). I'm also not sure how setting it to 1T could affect my GPU or CPU directly.

I'm not sure if this matters but my motherboard has a setting where I can manually adjust the speed of my memory and FSB so I don't have to use dividers when overclocking. My CPU is at 3.15GHz but my RAM is at the stock speed of 800MHz.

Also you linked to ATI Tool, which I have installed, and to my knowledge it has nothing to do with adjusting normal RAM timings. Obviously it can tweak the speed of my vid card RAM but I'm pretty sure you are talking about system memory as you mentioned the 1T/2T setting.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

when you click on the ram listing in in the bios a box should come up allowing you to choose manual
you should then get the voltage options try 0.01v 0.02v

Old 08-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

DDR800 ram should be able to go to 2.2 volt I would defintely try sneaking it up a tad

corsair, OCZ and maybe even crucial have memory forums manned by their techs to verify this info
Old 08-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #13

The memory is GeIL and currently my CPU is stable at 3.15GHz (24 hours in Orthos verified this). Is it still necessary to up this? I can't see any gain. In fact it should raise the heat the RAM generates right?
Old 08-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
Just curious. What do you mean by blow the doors off of my GPU first and then my CPU? Not quite sure what your saying. My RAM is currently manually defined at 2T because that is what Auto had it set to (according to CPU-Z). I'm also not sure how setting it to 1T could affect my GPU or CPU directly.

I'm not sure if this matters but my motherboard has a setting where I can manually adjust the speed of my memory and FSB so I don't have to use dividers when overclocking. My CPU is at 3.15GHz but my RAM is at the stock speed of 800MHz.

Also you linked to ATI Tool, which I have installed, and to my knowledge it has nothing to do with adjusting normal RAM timings. Obviously it can tweak the speed of my vid card RAM but I'm pretty sure you are talking about system memory as you mentioned the 1T/2T setting.

If you can set your ram in bios to 1T manually then try it. you should be able to select the option and set 1T. My advice is try that first because it will accelerate your entire system dramaticaly just with that one setting. I should have said...update your bios first thing. then go to the 1T setting. then work your way back. Tick your CPU up after the 1T set because you can pop a diode if you clock ram first without raising CPU voltage. and yes rivatuner and ati tool are Video tools. your motherboard bios should have lots of ram adjustment for air cooling. that is quality ram you have meaning it is very fast. your video card is going to be your slowest part and it is going to get hot fast and you may have to back off on the voltage. black screen and artifacts are the first sign of GPU and GDDR over heating.
y
Old 08-11-2007, 06:39 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

personally unless you are "searching" for the breaking point of the board, I would have quit at 3.0 ghz and been happy

especially if the heat was lower !

I dont see much noticible gain even by the additional 10% at the end ??

you will be hard pressed to see the diff between 3.0 ghz and 3.2 ghz !
Old 08-11-2007, 07:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderman View Post
personally unless you are "searching" for the breaking point of the board, I would have quit at 3.0 ghz and been happy

especially if the heat was lower !

I dont see much noticible gain even by the additional 10% at the end ??

you will be hard pressed to see the diff between 3.0 ghz and 3.2 ghz !
that is good advise. which mobo do you have mulsiphix ?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #17

MSI P6N SLI Platinum. I actually couldn't overclock this processor past 2.8GHz without dramatically raising the vCore. I had it at 1.4125v and it died in Orthos after 6 hours. I was finally stable at 1.4375v as it withstood 12+ hours in Orthos. Once I raised the voltage to 1.4625v I was able to hold a 3.15GHz clock in Orthos for 24+ hours.

The difference in temperature is only 2C to 3C (3GHz = 54C / 3.15GHz = 56-57C). The temps I'm mentioning are the max temps recorded during the 12HR and 24HR Orthos runs each processor was tested under. Their actual idle and load temps are much smaller. I've yet to see a single application or game push the 3.15GHz past 43C. Frankly that temperature is more than satisfactory to me.

Keep in mind the hardware is in an Antec 900 case with 6 Antec Tri-Cool fans all set on High. The fan on the Tuniq Tower is set to maximum speed. There are four 120mm intake fans, 1 120mm exhaust fan, and 1 200mm exhaust fan. Ambient room temperature of the room the PC's are in (there are two of these rigs) is 76F during the hottest portion of the day and between 72F to 74F during the coldest portion of the night.

Although if it makes anybody here feel a little better the other rig has an e6300 which is at 3.0GHz. It would have been pushed farther but the motherboard is notorious for not being able to handle FSB speeds past 375MHz (comment based on seven major review sites reviews of the mobo). The e6300 achieved stability with a FSB speed of 428.8MHz amazingly. Although the board couldn't handle any higher FSB speeds for more than six hours in Orthos.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #18

Quote:
MSI P6N SLI Platinum. I actually couldn't overclock this processor past 2.8GHz without dramatically raising the vCore. I had it at 1.4125v and it died in Orthos after 6 hours. I was finally stable at 1.4375v as it withstood 12+ hours in Orthos. Once I raised the voltage to 1.4625v I was able to hold a 3.15GHz clock in Orthos for 24+ hours.

The difference in temperature is only 2C to 3C (3GHz = 54C / 3.15GHz = 56-57C). The temps I'm mentioning are the max temps recorded during the 12HR and 24HR Orthos runs each processor was tested under. Their actual idle and load temps are much smaller. I've yet to see a single application or game push the 3.15GHz past 43C. Frankly that temperature is more than satisfactory to me.

Keep in mind the hardware is in an Antec 900 case with 6 Antec Tri-Cool fans all set on High. The fan on the Tuniq Tower is set to maximum speed. There are four 120mm intake fans, 1 120mm exhaust fan, and 1 200mm exhaust fan. Ambient room temperature of the room the PC's are in (there are two of these rigs) is 76F during the hottest portion of the day and between 72F to 74F during the coldest portion of the night.

Although if it makes anybody here feel a little better the other rig has an e6300 which is at 3.0GHz. It would have been pushed farther but the motherboard is notorious for not being able to handle FSB speeds past 375MHz (comment based on seven major review sites reviews of the mobo). The e6300 achieved stability with a FSB speed of 428.8MHz amazingly. Although the board couldn't handle any higher FSB speeds for more than six hours in Orthos.
It seems that you have clocked this system before starting this thread. If that is the case then I was not aware when I recommended the 1T setup. You mentioned that your Bios was at auto 2T. My experience with 1T and 2T settings leads me to believe that they are two different games that can be played on the same field...meaning that when you play the 1T game you should give all the players the best chance of winning...meaning set the system to default values before overclocking...especially if you have been playing the 2T game with your system. Once defaults are set then set 1T and proceed... Switching from 2T to 1T on a clocked system is almost certain crash.
y
Old 08-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #19

When I get a fourth stick of RAM I will have to do more memtest86+ and Orthos stress testing. I think I will try 1T at that time. From what I have seen in various benchmarks though the increased CPU clock will benefit me far greater than changing the 1T/2T setting for memory. If it comes down to choosing between the two I will definitely go with the CPU and stick with 2T.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #20

Quote:
When I get a fourth stick of RAM I will have to do more memtest86+ and Orthos stress testing. I think I will try 1T at that time. From what I have seen in various benchmarks though the increased CPU clock will benefit me far greater than changing the 1T/2T setting for memory. If it comes down to choosing between the two I will definitely go with the CPU and stick with 2T.
good decision. when you do decide to go to the 1T game do not forget to reset your system to default values. it is a different ball game especially from a CPU perspective.

Which benchmarks do you refer to?

Y
Closed Thread