Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Okay First Problem of New Build

This is a discussion on Okay First Problem of New Build within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Wellsir ... I started putting together my new build and of course there is a problem. I can't get the

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Mistake

Wellsir ... I started putting together my new build and of course there is a problem. I can't get the heat sink on it's not lining up quite right and I don't want to damage anything. There were brackets but I had to remove them as you can see the screws are slightly off and when I get one end down the other side is up and the screws won't connect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040419.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	323108   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040420.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	323110   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040422.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	323112  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Looks like way too much thermal paste on the cpu to me.

Clean it all off both the CPU and cooler with alcohol wipes and figure out how the cooler mounts before putting any more on(you only get 1 shot with paste once you make contact with the cooler and pick it back up you get air trapped between the 2 and cause heat issues.) The brackets need to be there to stop the cooler mounting from putting too much pressure on the CPU and socket.

Start all 4 screws one at a time a couple of threads only so the cooler is still loose allowing you slight movement to align the others. If it does not appear to line up rotate the cooler and try again.

What cooler are you trying to install and what motherboard/CPU is this?
Old 03-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Pencil

This is what I got ... except the mobo is new not refrub. I don't see how I could possibly get the heatsink on with those brackets there.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...ml#post7728980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Pin

As you can see there is just no way that heatsink will fit with those brackets there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040425.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	323114   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040432.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	323116  
Old 03-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #5
Hardware Tech Team

My System

I see from your other thread that you got that B350 MSI board (looks like). The Bracket is to be removed When installing a Ryzen R5 or AMD AM4 G series CPU with the included head sink. When you remove the brackets you need to carefully make sure the CPU backplate on the bottom is firmly pushed up against the back of the motherboard and that the screw sockets that come through the CPU screw holes are "evenly pushed through" and again that it's firm up against the back of the board. All that's left to be done that that point is to slowly lower that heat sink on top of your screw holes |matching| and turn about 3-4 turns on the screw, then opposite side angle away screw tighten 3-4 turns, then the same for the other screws in an |X| pattern. Once you have 3-4 rotations across all screws then use the X pattern again tighten down each screw the rest of the way but don't overtighten with those AM4 R5/G heatsinks usually 6-7 small turns for each screw is enough.

I do agree with the above that it looks like you have too much thermal paste there but it seems to be the stock TIM that you are using but with all of the repositioning of the heat sink you have scattered it out quite a bit. If you have some thermal paste you can use I would clean that processor and heat sink with some 90% Isopropyl using coffee filters and apply a very thin layer across your CPU area and start again. You can use an old credit card (cleaned) or something similar, or an exacto blade (what i usually use). Some use the drop method or thin X pattern across the CPU but i have always used a thin layer myself.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Thumbs Up

Well alrighty then ... I got her Now I have to wait for the case to arrive. It was suppose to be here today, but there was a weather delay so now the delivery date is pending. Should show up by the end of the week. As far as the memory goes I will see if it works if not ... I will return them and get different memory. I will report back if or when I run into another problem.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040434.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	323118  
Old 03-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
Hardware Tech Team

My System

That's awesome news. Enjoy your system!
Old 03-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Thumbs Down

Wellsir ... I got the case today, but as you can see there is only one bay for the DVD. You can see it looks like you can have more than one, but when you open it that bracket is in the way. I will have to cut it in order to insert another DVD player.

Starting to put everything together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040435.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	323126   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040436.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	323128  
Old 03-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Mistake

Wellsir .... I got it put together and it boots into the BIOS ... the new problem is I don't have a mouse when I tried to install windows. The mouse works in the BIOS but when I start the install disk and it goes to the first screen to select the language and what not the mouse doesn't work. Also it showing I have 4 sata ports but I only see two. The area they say is the first to port are in this enclose module. But figuring out why no mouse is the first order of business.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

Exclamation

Wellsir ... it appears the mouse and keyboard won't work for the windows installation because the drivers for the usb are not installed. And they can't be installed without windows. What a catch 22. Fortunately I have a ps/2 keyboard and that has allow me to install windows. So installing going down as I type. Also found the other two sata ports ... they were facing in a direction that is hard to see. My dvd drive doesn't fit all the way into the case because of the mobo.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Question

I went as far as I could with the keyboard, but I could not open the dvd that came with the mobo that has all the drivers ... I found a ps/2 adapter for a cord usb mouse and that is working ... . It installed the .net framework and windows update once, but I needed the mouse. Now it is doing the install all over again after hooking up the mouse. Also windows is only seeing 1.99TB of 4TB drive. Some thing that has to be changed in the bios? What?
Old 03-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

Exclamation

Apparently when I do the autoplay on the disk that came with the mobo it keeps looping after restarting and installing the .net framework and windows updates ... I just open the disk, and tried to install the drivers for the usb 3 I get this message ... This package requires AMD Catalyst Install Manager, but it is not found on the system ... I don't see this on the disk I have. Can't find anything on the usb 2 drivers. I would have windows look, but without the usb ports I can't get on line.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:17 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

Pencil

I tried going through the device manager and installing the drivers for the USB that way ... direct it to the disk for the mobo, but I get this message ... Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. AMD USB3,1 eXtensible Host Controller ... The system cannot find the file specified. It says to visit the manufacturer website for support ... but I don't see anything at the MSI website for this board ...

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...iver&Win7%2064

It's getting late ... I'm calling it a night ... will start again later today.

Update
I'm getting batty from being tired. I found the drivers with the chipset drivers ... I will see if that will work for me. I'll will report back later today after I get some
Old 03-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #14
Registered Member

My System

Okay I'm through the mobo stage ... I have the drivers for the usb installed ...now everything will be related to windows 7 so I will start a thread there. If not for those ps/2 mouse and keyboard I would be stuck getting those usb drivers for windows. I don't understand why it is like that. What could you do if you don't have those ps/2 devices? Anyway thanks for the help.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #15
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Win 10 has the drivers for USB 2.0 natively, Win 7 has some but not all will work for newer motherboards/controllers.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #16
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
Okay I'm through the mobo stage ... I have the drivers for the usb installed ...now everything will be related to windows 7 so I will start a thread there. If not for those ps/2 mouse and keyboard I would be stuck getting those usb drivers for windows. I don't understand why it is like that. What could you do if you don't have those ps/2 devices? Anyway thanks for the help.
Like was mentioned above newer motherboards are actually designed with the newest operating system in mind, so naturally the older OS will not get as much attention going forward with updated drivers, BIOS features, being phased out over time. It was the same with Windows XP and the transition with Windows Vista, and then Windows 7 and USB 1.0 / 1.1 > USB 2.0 and native OS install handling via BIOS functionality.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #17
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
That board has two USB 2.0 ports and Windows 7 has built-in USB 2.0 drivers, so the keyboard and mouse should have worked during Windows Setup IF connected to those ports. I don't see the point of connecting a mouse and keyboard to USB 3.x ports. It's not like they need the speed or power that's provided by those ports! You can customize Windows 7 by adding the necessary USB drivers or you could simply install an OS that already has them, like Windows 10 as has been mentioned.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #18
Hardware Tech Team

My System

I would most definitely recommend moving to Windows 10. There are many benefits to doing so, with a few caveats but the negative parts of Windows 10 are easily mitigated by a halfway savvy user.
Closed Thread