Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Nvidia GTX1060 3GB & Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P MB; Bios screen doesn't show at boot

This is a discussion on Nvidia GTX1060 3GB & Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P MB; Bios screen doesn't show at boot within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. (I put this here due to the higher level of activity instead of the Graphic sub-forum.) I upgraded from a

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wrench97
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #1

My System

(I put this here due to the higher level of activity instead of the Graphic sub-forum.)

I upgraded from a MSI AMD R7 260X that I had no trouble seeing the BIOS/UEFI screen during boot.
Now I can't, the screen goes dark until the O/S (Win7 Pro x64) loads.

My monitor is a Asus PA-248Q and I'm using the DisplayPort connection as I was before. The only change is the card. Using the VGA input thru an active DVI to VGA adapter, I do see the BIOS screen with that input.

I'm using the conventional BIOS setup, not UEFI if that matters which is what it has been. I made no changes other than the card.

Input please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If you selected "Quick Boot", deselect it.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:38 PM   #3
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

I think the NVidia cards prioritise the ports in this order. DVI -> HDMI - > DP
that's why when you hook it too the dvi port it shows.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 09:42 PM   #4

My System

I'll check the quick boot.

I should add, I have both DP & DVI/VGA connected to the card. The DVI/VGA goes to a KVM switch for a 2nd PC when I need to connect one for testing/upgrade etc. to save time and cable hookup.
I wonder if the card doesn't like that, thou this is no different than the AMD card except for that card didn't need the DVI to VGA active adapter since it had a dual DVI plug that this card doesn't have.

AFA 'prioritizing' why would that matter, it's not as I don't have video when the O/S loads?
Old 09-05-2019, 05:31 AM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

The priortizing order is used to find a screen for display. So if there is a connection on the DVI port, that is where the POST info is sent/displayed. It doesn't display that info on all of the ports. Disconnect everything but the DP connection and see what happens.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:04 AM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Can you manually get into your BIOS by tapping the "delete" key at post beep? If so, there should be a setting in there to turn on/off BIOS splash screen.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
AFA 'prioritizing' why would that matter, it's not as I don't have video when the O/S loads?
It does matter, by design. There is a port priority order and the oldest generation port takes precedence, i.e vga > dvi > hdmi > dp for Nvidia cards. If you have a connection to more than one port, then video output is achieved through the oldest gen only. The video driver that is used at POST is a basic one and doesn't support multiple displays, just like the generic video driver that is bundled with Windows and is used before you install dedicated drivers for the gpu. Maybe multi-display support will eventually be added to newer uefi firmware, but I highly doubt it because I don't see much use for it. I bet if you disconnect the other outputs, the only remaining connection will be used for video output, but by the time the connection is polled and used, the system will most likely have passed the POST stage and will be loading the OS. As has been said, load bios setup by pressing Del even if you don't see the bios splash screen, so that by the time the only video output connection is polled, the system will not have moved on to loading the OS. This is what I often do. I never wait for the bios splash screen to appear on the screen before pressing a key. Some monitors are quite clumsy at picking up an input signal too, especially those with multiple inputs. In some cases I've been forced to turn the monitors off and back on for them to register video input.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #8

My System

I don't know of a 'quick boot' option with this BIOS. I looked thru the different screens and in the manual and found nothing. I have seen that in other MB's.
I tried tapping the Delete' key durning the initial boot, but no difference.
I disconnected the DVI/VGA cable, but no difference with only the DisplayPort connected, but no difference.

I tried some other cables. 1st was a DVI (for the heck of it) by itself that was ok, the BIOS splash screen showed,
Then I tried another DisplayPort (15' instead of 9' that I was using). Still nothing,

The I tried a MonoPrice 6' cable that is a fraction of the diameter of the original cable (and too short) and it worked. The BIOS splash screen shows.

I'm guessing something between the MB, the video card and/or the monitor that isn't triggering activation of a video signal (for lack of a better term) until the O/S steps in. The Nvidia card is the #1 suspect being fussy for a unknown reason.

My question should be what would stop the the displaying of just the BIOS screen(s)? This surely isn't a HDCP deal.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #9

My System

I will try to hit the delete key earlier and see if that matters. The fact that this one short (thin) cable works seems to dismiss that idea.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #10
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Analog vs digital signal, without drivers(OS not loaded) the card defaults to analog, different monitors use only a single port to receive analog as some cards only put out analog on the "primary port" once the OS loads the drivers everybody is happy with a
a digital signal.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #11

My System

That doesn't answer/explain this situation.

The 6' jumper works, the BIOS splash screen shows as it should, the other 2 jumpers don't show anything at boot. They all work when the O/S loads.

This isn't a analog vs digital issue.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #12
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

It would if the cables are digital only, The difference between DVI-A (analog), DVI-D (digital) and the DVI-I (both) is in the pins or lack there of, are you using a DVI i port on the card or adapting display port to dvi to vga?
bassfisher6522 likes this.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:32 AM   #13

My System

This is DisplayPort I have been talking about.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:49 AM   #14

My System

To me it's between the card and/or the monitor, with the possibility the monitor is more sensitive to (lower) signal levels from a PC. The other or combined possibility is the card sends out a lower (or less than ideal) level then the older AMD card.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:01 AM   #15
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Can you get into the BIOS?
Old 09-06-2019, 03:18 AM   #16
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Can you get into the BIOS?
Sounds to me like he can, but only via the gpu's DVI output. Also, it seems, a shorter DP cable gets video at POST as the only video connection.

@videobruce, have a look at https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html and run that tool even if you're not using UEFI boot mode. The card's firmware may still require an update. Just make sure to not interrupt the process lest you end up with a bricked card. I hope you have a UPS. You're right, this is between the card and the monitor. The card's firmware is the brains behind which output port is functional at POST, hence the priority order, but that's not the only factor, as you've found out. DP 1.3 and 1.4 implementation was quite buggy in previous gen cards, hence the firmware update.
videobruce likes this.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:48 AM   #17

My System

Getting into the BIOS was never any problem. Seeing it is using DP. As I already stated, DVI & VGA (via a active DVI to VGA adapter work (I didn't try HDMI).

The monitor is a Asus PA-248Q, but Asus does not list what version the DP is. IOW's if it is v1.2 or less it doesn't appear that their flash progrrm would work.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #18
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Getting into the BIOS was never any problem. Seeing it is using DP. As I already stated, DVI & VGA (via a active DVI to VGA adapter work (I didn't try HDMI).

The monitor is a Asus PA-248Q, but Asus does not list what version the DP is. IOW's if it is v1.2 or less it doesn't appear that their flash progrrm would work.
Run it regardless, if an update is required, apply it.
Closed Thread