Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Not sure if MoBo or PSU

This is a discussion on Not sure if MoBo or PSU within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am unsure if PSU or Mobo issue so posting here, if incorrect I apologize in advance. I purchased

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to gonlaz Send a message via Yahoo to gonlaz

Hello,

I am unsure if PSU or Mobo issue so posting here, if incorrect I apologize in advance.
I purchased a MSI Gaming Plus Z390 Mobo and plugged all the cables are in correctly. The case has sufficient standoffs and I made sure there was no case contact or anything that would have fried it out.
Connected my Coolermaster 700 Watt PSU that I have had for 4 years (it was working as recent as yesterday) and triple checked the connections, there was no indication that anything was wrong, and the front Power LED was on, however when I pressed the power button, nothing happened, no click, no sound, no fan movement, nothing.
I have unplugged and disconnected everything and reinstalled the board, same issue.

I do not have a tester of any sort nor do I know how to use them, I am not in a situation where I can go buying a bunch of equipment to try out everything I'm sure I may want to. I guess I'm looking for some suggestions as to what could be the issue.

I'd like to think it's just a psu issue, but do they just die like that?
How can I test the Mobo, or is there a way to? I have no extra case to try anything that way.
Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
Registered Member

EDIT - I went ahead and tested the psu and it was good, used the paperclip method and fans turned on, psu was completely disconnected from the mobo. So I think I need to test the Poer switch in front of case but I don't know how to bridge that, any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2019, 05:22 AM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonlaz View Post
EDIT - I went ahead and tested the psu and it was good, used the paperclip method and fans turned on, psu was completely disconnected from the mobo. So I think I need to test the Poer switch in front of case but I don't know how to bridge that, any suggestions?
Using a screw driver, you can carefully short the two front panel header pins to which the power switch is connected. The manual shows the two pins to which the power switch should be connected (pins 8 and 6). Shorting the two pins is the same as pushing the power switch. If the power switch is faulty as suspected, then shorting the pins should fire up the system, the same way the paperclip turned on the power supply. If this doesn't work, the motherboard is probably defective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019, 04:05 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Power switches seldom fail. And because a power supply will "power on" does NOT mean that it is working properly or supplying all of the correct voltages (in the correct ranges).

The only real test is a power supply tester or install the unit into another system. The recommended test, is to simply replace the unit or swap it with a known good spare.

Unfortunately, when you get down to the motherboard and power supply, the only test is a hardware swap.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

We really don't know enough here. Yes it could be psu or motherboard, but it also could be memory incompatible and or cpu bad as well. I mean Cooler Master psus are among the worst I have ever used and at 4 years I would toss it if it works or not because it will eventually kill something if it already hasn't IMHO. I fyou don't have hardware to swap then you really have no choice but to go to a shop that can test everything for you. Since we don't know cpu it might be incompatible or the bios on the board may not be correct for this cpu there is just too much to guess here.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Even the best of techs cannot diagnose an issue between the CPU Mobo and PSU without an alternate, so if you don't have the spares or if you're not too comfy with that, I think you need to get a local tech involved...

Old 06-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hey I am so sorry for leaving this, it turned out to be the on/off switch, I just replaced the cae and all is well
Old 06-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
at 4 years I would toss it if it works or not because it will eventually kill something if it already hasn't IMHO.
I was wondering if you have actually ever seen evidence that psu's degrade so much that after 4 years the ripple gets so much out of hand that it becomes a noteworthy factor?

I haven't been able to find such evidence. Also considering common warranty of 5 years (50,000h of operating time) or more would suggest otherwise.
I get the feeling that this is one of those things in hardware land that gets blown wy out of proportion like the "importance" of how to apply thermal paste.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by endemion View Post
I was wondering if you have actually ever seen evidence that psu's degrade so much that after 4 years the ripple gets so much out of hand that it becomes a noteworthy factor?

I haven't been able to find such evidence. Also considering common warranty of 5 years (50,000h of operating time) or more would suggest otherwise.
I get the feeling that this is one of those things in hardware land that gets blown wy out of proportion like the "importance" of how to apply thermal paste.
It was about 6 years ago I had 8 Cooler Master 550 watt cpus 4 V Series and 4 GX series and none of them lasted beyond two years. The RMA process was so difficult after I got 2 back from RMA and the lasted about a month in 2 of my bench machines I decided to walk away.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #10
Registered Member

To be clear I wasn't talking about defects but ripple of the psu's in older fine working pc's. As in actually tested by hooking them up to an oscilloscope. I can't even find individual results of older psu's having been tested with such equipment. So how can you draw a line at x years old so you better replace it. And are you assuming 24/7 use or how are you going about determining the actual runtime?

As long as there isn't some organization producing actual statistics like blakblaze does with HDD failure rates. It stays in the realm of anecdotes. Like what you apparently base things on is a matter of one brand and 2 models with one of those models being known for being complained about (GX's) + it isn't clear to me if there was an actual ripple issue with what you said or that they just crapped out on you wile benching something.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

All units initially worked and one by one died and failed to start systems over a period of two years. I remember the first pone didn't even last 6 months.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:58 AM   #12
Registered Member

I give you that two years is a short time for psu's to fail but at the same time you weren't using them normally. I don't know what you were benching but if you were constantly doing things like "OCCT" heavy benches that at least in part could account for early deaths. Still we're only talking about two models, much to small of a sample size to draw conclusions from.

But most importantly it still doesn't tell us anything about the quality of the power being supplied (aka ripple amount) in aging psu's.

My conclusion, you can't really do any kind of trustworthy evaluation on a psu just going by it's age.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #13
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

OP has declared the issue SOLVED.....there is no need to continue this discussion.

Thread is now closed.