Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

No powerup - what to test next?

This is a discussion on No powerup - what to test next? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all. Having trouble with a Mesh ATX tower, a few years old. One day fine, the next no POST,

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:01 AM   #1

Hi all. Having trouble with a Mesh ATX tower, a few years old. One day fine, the next no POST, no drives spinning up, not even the power supply fan. I've tried a new PSU, and I've tried shorting the power button connectors and plugging the reset button into the power pins, still no nothing.

A couple of things: the motherboard light comes on so it's receiving power. I'm not 100% sure I've tested the power button fully so if anyone can suggest another way of doing that I'd appreciate it. From there, any suggestions of what to test next would be very handy indeed.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

To test the case power on button, simply remove the two wires from the pwr sw (power switch) that are connected to the motherboard. Then, take a paper clip or screwdriver and with the PSU on, simply touch those two pins on the motherboard (pwr sw) for an instant and the computer should come on.

Do not leave the screwdriver or paper clip on there, it only takes an instant for the rig to start. If it comes on when you short across those two pins, then maybe you have a bad power switch, but if shorting them does not turn it on, then your issue is most likely someplace else.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:08 AM   #3

Thanks Tumbleweed. Yeah that's pretty much what I did, to no avail. What's the logical next step to test out?

Thank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Please clarify, when you say to no avail, what happened when you had the power supply on and shorted those pins?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #5

Like I say - nothing. No beeps to indicate hardware failure, no drives or fans whirring up, nothing. I've been told to check the reverse of the motherboard to look for anything obviously blown, but assuming nothing's there, anyone have anything I could try?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Bench Test Your System
Closed Thread