User Tag List

No power up

This is a discussion on No power up within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My son's PC has an Abit NF7 v2.0 motherboard with an Athlon xp2200 cpu, which suffered a failed psu, which

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 04:35 AM   #1

Confused

My son's PC has an Abit NF7 v2.0 motherboard with an Athlon xp2200 cpu,
which suffered a failed psu, which was replaced. Now the PC will still not power up with the case 'on' button.
Although the new power supply will start up when the pwr-on pin in the ATX motherboard connector is grounded.
I have also checked that the ON button is working by checking for continuity at the motherboard connector.
The only sympton he noticed prior to complete failure was that the USB ports stopped functioning.
Any ideas guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #2

Usually when a power supply goes out something else goes out with it. Power supplies are known not to go down alone. I would think that if the computers USB ports dont work then something might have been hurt as well. As for the power on button I would wait for someone else to respond on that.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

take the button wires from the 2 pins on the m/board and touch the 2 pins for a fraction of a second with a small screwdriver
can you test your ram in another computer
uplug usb plugs and see if it makes a difference
what psu was in it and what did you replace it with

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I checked the power on switch lead for continuity with a meter, but tried shorting the pins anyway but no response. I tried with no usb devices plugged in as well with no response.
The psu came with the case (ebuyer) model LC-300ATX, no make, it has been happily running for a couple of years. I replaced it with a Sumvision 450w psu. Unfortunately I don't have another system to try the ram as I only have a laptop.
It is beginning to look like a motherboard fatality!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

yes it looks like the m/board unplug your drives reset the cmos and try it
https://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=107466

Closed Thread