Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

No Power ... Motherboard?

This is a discussion on No Power ... Motherboard? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm not getting any power. I replace the P/S with a new one ... nothing ... could it be the

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Thumbs Down

I'm not getting any power. I replace the P/S with a new one ... nothing ... could it be the motherboard??? My specs are listed ... it's the i7 machine. It hasn't even been a year since I replace the mobo, the video card and the power supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Try a Bench Test the hardware to see where the problem lies
Old 01-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

Wellsir ... I removed the battery to reset the CMOS ... that got the power back, but the computer will crash (quick blue screen) then reboot in a endless cycle of crashing and rebooting. Same thing when I try to go to safe mode. I recall that sometime the time on the computer would be wrong. Guess I can try the bench test now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Try a new battery . .
Old 01-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Remove all but one module of RAM. Start and boot into Setup (Bios) If that works, on another computer, download the ISO image Memtest and burn it to CD using IMGBurn both available in my signature, or use their USB Key installer for Flash Drive.
Boot off of the newly created media and run the tests for at least 7 passes on each module of RAM separately. If you get any errors (red) that module is bad and needs to be replaced.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

I would also do as suggested by Old Rich and replace the cmos battery, they are not expensive.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

I did a test on the hard drive and the memory ... doing on ram stick at a time. They all passed. I tried booting it up again today ... nothing ... no power again. The CPU fan was loose so I made sure it was secure. I tried removing the battery for 10 min. ... nothing ... I used a multimeter to check the battery ... I got a reading of over 3.1 volts. I reseated everything ... I just don't understand it. When I took out the battery to reset the CMOS it was out for a day. I took the battery out again and will wait until tomorrow to try it again. Just don't know why there is no power again.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

How did you test the memory and drive if it does not power up? Do you have another power supply?
Old 01-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Bad CPU fan might be the reason, motherboard is deliberately powering down because the CPU fan is returning 0 RPM. You should be able to get it working with the stock cooler and can always change to an after market cooler later if required.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #10
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
How did you test the memory and drive if it does not power up? Do you have another power supply?
Yes ... I had a brand new in the box Rosewill PSU ... that got it to boot up again and I was able to do those tests. Then when I tried to boot it up the next day ... no power again. Tried resetting the CMOS ... nothing. I had problems with getting the CPU fan to attach securely to the board ... when I got them locked down ... still no power ... then I switched back to the original PSU ... booted back up again ... What the heck happen to that new out of the box Rosewill PSU??? ... I had to reset the time in the BIOS ... now I am using my install disk to test the memory. After that I will try reinstalling the OS.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Thumbs Up

Wellsir ... once I got the power back I tried to use the install disk to fix windows ... it didn't work so I had to reinstall the OS ... I thought it would install over the old OS ... it didn't ...it save the old OS. Anyway the machine is up and running again. I just have to reinstall all the software ...again
Old 01-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Next time, choose a custom install and delete all the partitions for a clean install
Closed Thread