Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

No post or beep with new build

This is a discussion on No post or beep with new build within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Thank you in advance... Asus Z370 A mb Intel I7 9700 K (9nth gen) cpu G Skill Trident Z F4-3200C16D-32GTZR

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

Thank you in advance...

Asus Z370 A mb
Intel I7 9700 K (9nth gen) cpu
G Skill Trident Z F4-3200C16D-32GTZR (Four dimms = 64 gigs)
EVEA Supernova power supply 850 watt
CoolerMaster Trooper SE case

No drive installed yet. New M.2. coming soon.

I'm just trying to post to update bios, turn off integrated video, etc.

I have checked connections
Checked voltage to MB and CPU
I've pulled all but one dimm of Ram (No MB ram light comes on so I assume the ram is good).

Things power on and light up (including the Ram) but no beep and no post.
I've tried using various cables on both the integrated card and on a new Quadro P4000 card. Nothing!

I've triple checked connections. I don't know what to do next. Do I have a conflict with this cpu, board and ram?

Please advise. Thank you! Stu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Your board is not compatible with Gen 9 cpus as far as I can see.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

According to the Asus website, the newest bios update makes the Z370A compatible with the new CPU. Here is a dumb question... Can I update the bios without a processor or am I stuck buying a new motherboard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2018, 05:56 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Yeah these guys should know better as there is no way you can update the board with cpu that is not recognized, you would need to use a cpu recognized to flash the bios up and it could be any Gen 8 i.e. Pentium would do so if you can find someone with a suitable Gen 8 cpu to do that for you or you have to buy another board. And there is the "rub" as only 1 series will work which would be Gen 8 and there aren't that many out there as it is so new itself. A decent shop that stocks cpus might be able to do that for you.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:04 AM   #5
Registered Member

I emailed Asus. Do you think they will send me a boot kit to update my bios?
Old 11-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

AMD appears to have a bootkit that provides a throwaway cpu and hsf that will update a bios without a cpu but to the best of my knowledge that does not exist for Intel boards however I have read that some Intel boards will allow a bios flash without a cpu but you have to ask Asus if theirs is one of them. Other than that I believe the only way that can happen is if you send board back to Asus so they can do it. Maybe they will do that for you heaven knows they should!
How do you update bios without CPU? - [Solved] - Motherboards

Old 11-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Rich, where I'm at, the vendor updates the BIOS for free as part of support for such incompatible devices even if it's not under warranty... But carry-in... no kit..

But with the standard disclaimer, that if something breaks or if the board is bricked, they're not liable..

ASUS would probably oblige...

Old 11-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Interesting tristar.

Closed Thread