Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

No LEDs on Motherboard

This is a discussion on No LEDs on Motherboard within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey everybody. I just recently got my new computer parts from NewEgg this weekend, and I was really eager to

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to Dilyn Send a message via MSN to Dilyn

Hey everybody. I just recently got my new computer parts from NewEgg this weekend, and I was really eager to get to work putting it together (my computer has been in pieces since December). I took super extra precautions while setting up everything, because I didn't want my new motherboard to short like my old one did last time I did this. I laid out all my stuff on my counter, and followed my friend's instructions to a T (he's a computer technician). My problem is, my PSU won't turn on (Corsair TX750W) whenever it's connected to the motherboard (GIGABYTE EP45-UD3R). I know that the PSU isn't shot, because I've gotten it to turn on outside the case when it's not connected to the motherboard (stuck a paperclip in the main 24 pin, connecting the green and black wires). It fired on just fine, but I'm not sure if it's giving the motherboard enough power. No LEDs are lighting up on the motherboard (I've searched it high and low). I'm thinking that the motherboard is bad, but I'd really just like to know that silly me did something wrong, and that it can easily be remedied without having to RMA anything (I REALLY don't wanna have to wait any longer to get my computer up and running). I had this same problem on my old motherboard (same PSU) and I fixed it by changing the 24 pin to a 20 pin and connecting the other 4 or 8 pin to my motherboard (I don't remember which ). I've tried that, and it's still a no go. I've read through the little manual, and still nothing has worked. So is the motherboard shot, or is the PSU not delivering enough power, or what?

If you guys need to know any more info, don't hesitate to ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

try this .............. DONT abbreviate or skip steps !

https://www.techsupportforum.com/f255...em-171424.html
Old 02-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

So I followed the instructions, and when I turn on my motherboard using the flat bladed screw driver (video card + monitor, mouse, keyboard, CPU +fan, 1 stick of RAM) my motherboards LEDs shoot straight up to 6 (red) and it emits an ear piercing screech. The CPU fan isn't running, but I dunno why. I have it plugged in tight, I have some Arctic Silver applied (just a dab) and it's seated very tightly. Seeing as I only have a Core 2 Duo, I only used a 4 pin for the CPU, not the 8. And I'm using a 24 pin to connect to my motherboard.

Also, it's EXTREMELY dificult to remove the 24 pin from the motherboard. I mean, it took a good 10 minutes of pulling, swearing, and thinking nasty thoughts toward it to finally get it out. Is there an easier way to get it out? I'm holding down the little switch in the front, but it still takes TONS of force to get that sucker outta there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

you have a bad motherboard .............. or your cpu is not in the socket correctly ? >>>>>> pay close attention to the notches on the edges of the cpu and the "bumps" on the cpu socket at the motherboard cpu socket

review your motherboard manual then remove and reinstall the cpu .......... connect a standard case fan to the motherboard cpu fan header and verify is a standard case fan will spin up ?
Old 02-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

'If it doesn't go in with force, it's in right'. That's what my friend always says about CPUs. So Ive made sure the CPU is in right... Put in tv stock fan and voilà!!! It turned on. Of course, I didn't get far without the HDD installed on the motherboard. But the good news is, the CPU isn't shot, the video card works, the motherboard isn't bad, the RAM is good, and the PSU is working. :D
I'm happy now.
Do you have any idea why my other fan doesn't play nice with my motherboard? I have everything setup exactly the same as before. Only difference is the fan that was used.
I'll post back if I run into any more problems. You've restored my trust in myself when it comes to computers. Thank you.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

sorry for the double post, but apparently there's no edit button?

Anyways...
How do I know whether or not my system is detecting my hardware? I've gone to post screen, but it just flashes by and then continues on to booting up. Then it gives me an error:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
I can only assume that by system disk it means the disc that came with the motherboard? When I try to boot from THAT, I get the same error. I can only assume that it's not detecting my HDD?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

insert system disk = means hard drive

or cd-rom if you are trying to boot ............ that sentence can mean TWO totally seperate things

when you first start the computer and see the gigabyte bios screen........ start tapping on the delete key ..... about 3-5 times ..........at two second intervals then stop tapping

that will take you into the world of bios options

go into the bios and set your data and time in the main bios section

then enter the advanced bios section .............. you need to set your boot order

boot device priority = cd-rom = first boot hard drive = second boot device

then enter hard drive section ............. you will have to choose which drive you want to be the boot drive (only if you have more than one drive)

save and exit bios

[ all this is in your motherboard manual .................. you need to be reading that as you are doing this stuff]

then restart computer with windows cd in the cdrom tray ............. that should start the windows set-up
Old 02-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

It doesn't recognize my HDD?

But my HDD might be shot because of me and my stupidness last time I tried to do this. Fried the whole system.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilyn View Post
It doesn't recognize my HDD?

But my HDD might be shot because of me and my stupidness last time I tried to do this. Fried the whole system.

please expound on this more ????????

how do you know it doesnt recognise your hard drive ????? can you hear the hard drive spin up when you start the computer
Old 02-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

I can't hear anything from the hard drive when I turn it on.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
I can't hear anything from the hard drive when I turn it on.

sounds like you have a dead drive
Old 02-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

You can also try feeling the hard drive and see if there's any vibration, should be able to feel it if the discs inside it are spinning. Doesn't spin up, probably dead if it's powered.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:40 AM   #13
Registered Member

My System

OK so I'm pretty sure my HDD is dead. I'm gonna go buy from NewEgg... 1TB, here I come!!! I'm gonna test my 7.5GB HDD just to make sure that it's the HD that's bad, not something else.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:08 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I highly suggest you rethink the 1TB drive

if you ever want to make back-ups of your data / 1TB drives suddenly are not so attractive ............ drive data recovery can take a week !

my suggestion is two 500 gig drives is a much more friendly configuration
Old 02-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

you might get lucky and the dead drive still be in manufacturers warranty period ....... usually 3-5 years depending on the manuf and model
Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #16
Registered Member

My System

Well, that and the fact that I don't have a job have made me decide to hold off on the 1TB drive. I'll get a 500GB for now, then get another one later when I have some money.

Do you really think that I could get my HD replaced? The old computer it came from (got it in October '08) was just an out-of-the-store computer, from eMachines. Would they replace it since there's a one year warranty on it, or would I need to talk to the actual manufacturer because the entire system is gone?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

the drive came from an OEM built system (e-machine) so therefore you have to contact e-machine to get the drive replaced
Old 02-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
Registered Member

My System

alright. I'll talk to them to see if it can be replaced.

Since I've gotten the motherboard and everything to work out of the case, what do you think is re problem when I put it into the case?
Old 02-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #19
Registered Member

My System

I tried to explain to eMachines tech support that I had replaced the motherboard after the hard drive had died, and somehow that was translated in his mind to 'I replaced the hard drive because I felt like it, it died, and I want you to replace it for free for me'. I'm gonna try to talk to someone else about this, because I really don't have enough money to get a new HD.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:49 AM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
alright. I'll talk to them to see if it can be replaced.

Since I've gotten the motherboard and everything to work out of the case, what do you think is re problem when I put it into the case?

that sounds like the bare metal components on the bottom of the motherboard are touching the case somewhere .......... did you install the brass stand-offs ?
Closed Thread