Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Newbie needs help w/P4C800E dlx, SATA...

This is a discussion on Newbie needs help w/P4C800E dlx, SATA... within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My new project: Asus P4C800E deluxe rev 2.0 1016 bios; P4 CPU Prescott 3.2; Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu W/fan control installed; Corsair

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 04:20 PM   #1

My new project:

Asus P4C800E deluxe rev 2.0 1016 bios;
P4 CPU Prescott 3.2;
Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu W/fan control installed;
Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 (2X512MB sticks in black slots, bios says 1024 MB memory OK);
Enermax EG425P-VE-SFMA PSU 420W, SATA connectors & adjustable fan;
Liteon SOHW-1633S 16X DVD dual drive (master on pri IDE);
Asus CD-S520 52X CD-ROM (slaved to Liteon);
Mitsumi MTM43W floppy;
Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB SATA 7200RPM 8MB cache (w/NCQ) (OEM);
Chaintech AA6800 Turbo Ed. GeForce 6800 AGP 128MB video card;
Soundblaster PCI128 soundcard;
US Robotics 56K V.92 PCI modem;
Lian Li PC-V1000 aluminum case;
Optiquest 95 19" CRT monitor.

PCI: 1-empty/2-PCI128/3-empty/4-empty/5-modem.

Seagate is connected to SATA 1. On 1st power up, everything seems OK (one beep from POST) but Seagate is not detected. My case HDD LED shows red instead of blue (which would mean HDD OK) and starts out by blinking red then dissappears. I have tried SATA 2 and all power connectors for the Seagate (PSU-included SATA power connectors & adapter from a molex that supplies a fan) but there just no sign of life with this HDD. I feel that I'm ready to proceed with winXP pro install but can't find the HDD. I plan on making this PC 'raid-ready' and have used Clintfan's instructions for making an IAAR floppy before installing the OS. My bios is all set (IDE config set as per the manual & the many posts I've read here).

Is this HDD DOA? Or am I not using/connecting/configuring it properly? (it is OEM, but I have the software from the manufacturer to set it up when it appears.) Do I have to format or partition it prior to installing it in this new setup? Shouldn't winXP do that?

I've been at this for days researching the *&%$ out of this on this forum. Seagate has told me that the mobo drivers are not installed and that's why the drive is not detected. I have tried several SATA data cables also, no luck. I want to use this PC mainly for gaming & internet. I'm hoping somebody reading this can enlighten me as to the problem here.

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2004, 10:08 PM   #2
I helped the forums.

OS: XP-Pro Sp2 & XP-Pro Sp2 Tablet Edition, Vista Ultimate, Win 7

My System

Boot from the disk that came with the HD, format and partition....you should then be able to see the HD.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately my drive is OEM and did not come with a manufacturer's disc. I have downoaded several manufacturer programs, none of which appears to be 'bootable'. I believe that either the drive is bad (not powering up), or my PSU is not supplying SATA power (unlikely since I've tried several power connectors, including those which are currently powering other devices) or the Intel controller is not active. Any other suggestions are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
I helped the forums.

OS: XP-Pro Sp2 & XP-Pro Sp2 Tablet Edition, Vista Ultimate, Win 7

My System

You should not need any drivers for the bios to detect the drive, list your bios settings, also make sure the sata data cable is in securely on both ends, they are easy to loosen up ( that is an issue they fixed with the next generation sata devices !) You should see the HD listed as the 3rd ide master. and the bios should be as in the pic on pg 4-11 of the manual. XP cannot recognize a HD that is not formatted. The Maxblaster software is a free download from Maxtor is bootable and works very well. otherwise go to bootdisk.com and download a boot disk for XP or 98 with FDisk on it and format the drive....then you can let XP re-partition the drive and format it in NTFS.....I wish I could offer better advice....didn't have this issue. post back and let me know how its going
Old 12-30-2004, 06:31 AM   #5

I have tried several variations of bios settings, and was very interested in following the 'raid-ready' setup described by Clintfan in an earlier post. I just want to get off the ground with a SATA drive now and add another SATA drive later for a possible RAID configuration on the ICH5R controller.

Bios settings:
IDE mode: Enhanced
En Mode Supp: S-ATA
Config SATA as RAID: no
IDE time out:35

In the above config, the 'third IDE master' and 'fourth IDE master' are 'not detected'. (If I change bios settings listed above to config SATA as RAID-YES with Serial BootROM enabled, the third & fourth IDE don't even show up in the bios.)

My bios also shows PCI IDE busmaster as enabled, I'm not sure if that's affecting anything. I just wish I could figure out if it's the controller not enabled, or the SATA1 mobo connector faulty or the HDD just DOA. I'm thinking it's the drive because it doesn't seem to be getting any power. All connectors are double-checked for secure connection (as if you could call a SATA cable secure). I've tried all the SATA cables that came with the mobo, no luck.

I HOPE somebody has another idea, cuz I'm at a loss on this one.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:40 AM   #6
Registered Member

You can download a copy of Disk Wizard for your Seagate hard drive. This program is bootable and should be able to test your hard drive. I would also check the hard ware by using another data wire connector and plugging the hard drive into the other SATA port on the motherboard. Also check the power connectors as well. My best guess is that if changing all the wires and ports do not cause the hard drive to show up in Bios then you are looking at a dead hard drive. But I would still use the bootable software above just in case.

I have a Seagate 200gb SATA hard drive myself, it's a very good drive. But with anything else sometimes the products come off the assembly line DOA, just the way things are. Hope this helps.
Closed Thread