Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Newbie advice on compatible parts

This is a discussion on Newbie advice on compatible parts within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello to everyone. I am here on a situation that I am thoroughly confused about and I wish to make

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #1

Confused

Hello to everyone. I am here on a situation that I am thoroughly confused about and I wish to make the right decision. I purchased a Dell 540 Studio with the Q8200, 6 gb. etc. So right away I replaced the Q8200 with a Q9650, added Corsair DDR2 pairs (twins) 4096-6400C5 memory in the amount of 8 Gb, a BFG Nvidia 285 OC X, a Creative Sound Board XFI Platinum card and a 1200 watt power supply. But I want to move this up a notch more with a combination of memory and CPU maybe even SLI.

So I am wondering what you would recommend in the way of Motherboards to go with a Intel QX series CPU in the 9000 series coupled with the combination of Corsair memory and the BFG Nvidia 285 OC X. Again, what memory sticks to use in DDR2 or DDR3.

And if I decided to go SLI with TWO BFG 8800GTX OC cards in tandem instead of the BFG 285 OC X. I have heard of the 790i Nvidia cards being good but are they only compatible for DDR3 memory? I have heard that the current DDR3 is not all that much better than high end DDR2.

Some people recommend waiting for the prices to come down on DDR3 memory.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
Emeritus

Changing the Mobo in a laptop is not an easy task.
Going to an i7 Mobo and DDR3 RAM build is not going to give you any noticeable increase in performance.
What is the PC primarily used for?

Old 05-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #3

The computer is a desktop model. I did not put that in the first posting, sorry about that. The PC is used for gaming and the internet surfing mostly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Emeritus

Mobo; Asus P5QPro; https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131299

That will use the DDR2 RAM you have. Multiple Grahics cards is a waste of money and you will not see any real performance gain.
I believe it's something like 10% and that's benchmarking, not what you'll see.
A DDR3 graphics card will run on a Mobo using DDR2.
For gaming, a Dual Core CPU would have been a better way to go.
I hope you have changed PSU's and are not using the one that came with the Dell box.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #5

Yes, the PSU (power supply unit) is 1200 watts. Thanks.
Closed Thread