Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

new WD HD not seen by XP SP3

This is a discussion on new WD HD not seen by XP SP3 within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Upgrading storage in my Compaq Presario SN2030NX. 200GB original drive is good in SATA slot 1. New Western Digital WDBH2D5000ENC-NRSN

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

Upgrading storage in my Compaq Presario SN2030NX. 200GB original drive is good in SATA slot 1. New Western Digital WDBH2D5000ENC-NRSN 500GB drive powers up but in SATA slot 2 it is seen by BIOS, not by OS. Swapped signal cables and computer wouldn't boot, so something wrong with SATA 2 on Motherboard. (?) (XP Media Center edition part of the problem?)
==> Workaround is to install Seagate 500GB IDE drive (old portable storage pulled from I/O Magic case), clone original drive to this one. Then install WD drive into SATA1, clone IDE drive to this WD drive, next clean the IDE drive and use it for backing up. I have Acronis True Image 2014 Premium, not just depending on the limited version of WD Acronis SW one downloads for formatting and limited backup of new drive.
I do have a life, but since support for XP goes away soon, I'm making sure my legacy machines are all set up. I also have an old (2001) Dell w/ 850MHz P3, stock XP Pro. SP3 -- that's my "audio computer" -- and the CPQ (HP) is my "video computer." Discovered this forum while troubleshooting my OS for some explanation, figured I better sign up and perhaps there are others trying to ride XP as long as they can because of legacy software and/or budgetary concerns.
==> Any comment or insight will be welcome, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Try this: Hook the WDBH2D5000ENC-NRSN back up to SATA 2, load Windows, click Start, right-click My Computer and select Manage, then select Disk Management. Right-click the WDBH2D5000ENC-NRSN and create a partition, then right-click it again and format it.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

Confused

Thank you for the good direction. I would be home free if the drive would show up under Disk Manager. But so far neither the WD SATA drive or the older Seagate IDE will appear once the operating system boots -- can't get a handle on the new drive through Disk Manager.

Also, when I moved the original cable on my good boot drive to the 2nd SATA data connector, the computer wouldn't boot. I keep thinking there's a "software switch" in the wrong mode somewhere -- or maybe I have the wrong kind of drivers installed. Pursuing that line of thinking, I can't find an ATA/ATAPI controller in this computer -- another suggestion out on the Net was to "set Auto-Detect to enable LBA" logical block addressing in my BIOS -- and I sure can't get a handle on that either...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Are the drives detected in the CMOS/BIOS Setup?
Old 03-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Is the new WD drive formatted?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

Yes, - I fear I messed up with a recent installation of AVG TuneUp Utilities. It installed some pretty severe restrictions in the name of speeding up my PC. Now that the SW is removed, I'm dealing with trying to find a restore point. Nothing talking across network, printer uninstalled, stuff like that. Original problem was drive visible to BIOS but disappears when booting up OS. Same problem both SATA drive and IDE drive. Curious thing was that my good C drive not seen by system when I used the 2nd SATA slot (w/ known good signal cable). What a mess I'm making.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
Registered Member

I believe the WD drive is formatted and loaded with a PDF of the User Manual... But I just took a giant step backward...
Old 03-31-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Starting to sound like you may have a hardware problem that needs to be resolved first.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:11 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Well that wouldn't be the first time. If you have no restore points to go back to, I would try the XP Repair because any of those utilities can create unresolvable registry damage.
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
But I think you will wind up reinstalling Windows.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
Emeritus

Same thoughts as Rich-M
Tune-Up utilities, in general, are usually pretty much worthless and can cause far more issues than they resolve.

Closed Thread