Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

New PC overheating when i turn it on for the first time in the day

This is a discussion on New PC overheating when i turn it on for the first time in the day within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, I have some strange issues with my PC and hope you can share some advice of how I

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 04:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys,

I have some strange issues with my PC and hope you can share some advice of how I might fix it. Let’s start from the beginning, the PC is new – I got it around 3 months ago and this is the configuration:

• Gigabyte X99 – Ultra Gaming
• Intel Core i7 – 5820K 6 core
• Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
• Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
• WD 2TB HD
• Antec High Current PRO 750W
• Nepton 240m Cooler Master
• G-Skill Ripsaw’s DDR4 4 x 8GB

On this I have Windows 10 64-bit installation.

So my problem is when I turn on the PC for the first time during the morning, the coolers after few minutes go to max speed, and after a while the PC is unresponsive and turns itself off. This happens only when I turn it on for the first time in the morning after it was off for the whole night, the air that was flowing was cold. If I manually turn it off while pressing the button, and turning it on again right away…the problem goes away and the PC works normally during the day. So it only happens when I turn it on for the first time. I installed Open Hardware Monitor and checked the temperature readings right after the Windows starts - they begin from around 30c and go all the way up to 80\90c in few minutes. So I turn it off and on, and it will work all day with around 30c temperature.

I don’t think it’s a Windows issue, since the cooler goes off even if I don’t log in to Windows and I leave it to the login screen for few minutes. If I restart the PC from the Windows Start Menu button while the temperatures are spiked then the coolers will remain in full speed when it reboots, and even in BIOS the temperatures read at around 80C. So the only way I can fix it, with hard press of the button. So I am doing that 8 out of 10 days….since there are some days which it boots up without a problem.

I contacted Gigabyte about this, they told me to update the BIOS (which I did twice…from F4 do F5, then to beta F6) but the problem remained, then they told me to take it back from where I bought it and change the thermal paste. I did that as well, and the guys from the store did thorough testing, with different hardware, changing of the thermal paste, cleaning of dust (even though its only few months old). The strange thing is - they didn’t have one temperature and cooler issue like I do when the PC is at my place.
I have to specify that the PC is not covered with anything and it has good ventilation. I tried plugging it in a different socket, tried it with another power cord cable, but again today the temperatures went crazy.

I am going to attach some photos so that you can see how freak of a problem this is.

Hope you can give me some helpful advice

Thanks,
Mitko

https://imgh.us/1_3876.jpg

https://imgh.us/0-02-05-39ad33c05eeaa...58db0_full.jpg

https://imgh.us/0-02-05-f6544e8f65757...ce68c_full.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I would continue to work with Gigabyte until they find a solution or replace it.

The only difference between having the PC at your house and somewhere else, would be power. But if it was a power issue, I'd expect it to always have an issue, not just when powering on.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Try swapping the 4 pin connectors on the motherboard around, sometimes having an All In One pump on a PWM fan header can cause issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 01:16 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

I have a hunch.

Do you have a regular CPU air cooler? Not a stock cooler but an aftermarket cooler like the Hyper 212 EVO. If not a stock air cooler will work. Replace the water cooled cpu cooler with the aftermarket or stock cpu air cooler. Then check system for start up issue.

My hunch is with the water cooled system you have. Either faulty pin connectors, faulty sensors or faulty software.