Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

New PC build slowly developing more and more issues...

This is a discussion on New PC build slowly developing more and more issues... within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My build was working great for just long enough to allow me to install Windows and most of my programs/games.

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

My build was working great for just long enough to allow me to install Windows and most of my programs/games. Then it started shutting off randomly. Event Viewer lists what is happening as "Event 41 Kernel-Power." I did some troubleshooting, and all the temperatures look good and messing with power profiles does nothing. Today I went out and bought a new PSU (Corsair CX650M) to rule out my slightly sketchy older 485W PSU being the issue. No change. Now the computer has developed a new issue: about 5-10 minutes after booting up and loading into windows, the sound output starts to gradually get more and more distorted. At first it's just a few clicks and buzzes, and then after a few minutes it sounds like it needs an exorcism. I reinstalled the Realtek audio drivers from ASRock's page, and nothing. Tried different speakers, different headphones, both the front audio panel and rear ports, nothing. I have the latest BIOS revision, chipset drivers, graphics drivers, and Intel ethernet drivers.

Build info:
- Ryzen 3600 w/stock cooler
- ASRock X570M Pro4
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 CL18, XMP profile enabled
- Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC
- Inland Performance 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD
- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (secondary drive)
- WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200rpm (secondary drive)
- Corsair CX650M
- Dell XPS 8300 mATX case for now (yes, the pinouts for everything are compatible)

This is the audio issue about 6 minutes after startup:
https://streamable.com/11uxt

...and then about 3 minutes later:
https://streamable.com/v8hr3

Any idea where the to even start with troubleshooting at this point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
Game Team Tech

according to the specs you have a 7.1 hd audio what speakers are you using? have you checked the cables wires are in the correct place. Sounds like a loose cable. Have you used the realtek app in device manager to adjust the sounds.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Not sure if this is your first build or not, so I have to ask. After you installed windows....did you install all your mobo drivers? Is the BIOS up to date? Usually there is a mobo DVD supplied with the mobo. Have you installed the GPU software/driver package? Do you have the 8 pin power connector from PSU connected to GPU?

Open up the case and double check all your wire connections. Make sure that all the cable headers are fully seated and in the right orientation.

Since your using an Dell case, the front panel connections may differ from the normal aftermarket mobo's. It's my belief that it's the case....something is shorting out the sound connection. I would definitely get a new case. You can get an decent case for under $30 USD.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Not sure if this is your first build or not, so I have to ask. After you installed windows....did you install all your mobo drivers? Is the BIOS up to date? Usually there is a mobo DVD supplied with the mobo. Have you installed the GPU software/driver package? Do you have the 8 pin power connector from PSU connected to GPU?

Open up the case and double check all your wire connections. Make sure that all the cable headers are fully seated and in the right orientation.

Since your using an Dell case, the front panel connections may differ from the normal aftermarket mobo's. It's my belief that it's the case....something is shorting out the sound connection. I would definitely get a new case. You can get an decent case for under $30 USD.
I am pretty experienced with computer hardware in general (I do micro-soldering, etc) and I have built lots of computers from older parts laying around but no I haven’t bought a bunch of new parts to assemble before. The cables are seated properly (and were with the last PSU as well). I did say in my original post that I have the latest BIOS revision, and I listed all the drivers I have updated. The audio thing happens regardless of whether the front panel audio connector is even plugged in (also notice I said I made sure the pinouts are the same). And yes I know I can get a new case for relatively cheap, but I have a custom mATX case project underway that this thing will eventually be transferred to. There’s nothing wrong with the Dell case for the time being.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Perform a bench test, see if the issues persist. If you're using a UPS, try connecting directly to a mains outlet instead. You can also try different mains outlets. If you're certain the outlets and all power accessories are okay and the issues persist during a benchtest, the motherboard could be defective.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Download these nvidia drivers here

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv...x/150581/en-us

Set your ram manually @ 3000 MHz and use timings manually CL 18 17-17-17 35 1t. Tell me if you still have the same issue. Use 1.3v instead of 1.35v.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareChange View Post
Download these nvidia drivers here

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv...x/150581/en-us

Set your ram manually @ 3000 MHz and use timings manually CL 18 17-17-17 35 1t. Tell me if you still have the same issue. Use 1.3v instead of 1.35v.
Like I said in my original post, I already have those drivers. I did do some testing with the RAM in between posting here and seeing your reply, and it turns out that with XMP off and the RAM running at 2133MHz, all the issues go away. I ran MemTest86 and there are no errors at 2133. I tried running it with XMP at 3600 and it wouldn't even run, it just shut off. I set the ram to 3533 and ran another test, it should be done in about an hour and a half. I'll try your suggestion next. I'd like to have RAM that works at its default XMP profile, maybe a different set would?
Old 09-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #8
Hardware Tech Team

My System

It's possible I use a B450 Asrock board with an R5 3600 and I had to do plenty of testing myself. XMP 2.0 with a set of 3200 mhz modules produced the same issue you have. What I did was test at every level, DDR4 2400-2666-2800-2933-3000 up to 3200, and ended up using this kit at 3000 with the timings I mentioned above it was close enough to DDR4 3200 but the tighter timings at lower voltage makes the performance even better than the rated 3200 mhz timings and it's totally stable and no audio issues.

I would start at 2666 @ 1.25v or 1.3v, and 3000 @ 1.3v and see how your system acts. It could be that your kit needs 1.4v to run stable at 3600 mhz but keep in mind that 3600 mhz is really past the point of diminishing returns anyway. Meaning, peak is actually 3200 mhz after that the performance gains are extremely minimal even on an AM4 platform. Remember as you move up from 2133 though 3200-3600 mhz to test with various timings. It could be that you would be fine with DDR4 3200 or 3400 @ CL19-18-18-38 1T @ 1.35v, but NOT XMP use manual.
Closed Thread