Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

New parts - random shut downs

This is a discussion on New parts - random shut downs within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys! I just picked up a new motherboard, some RAM, and a new vid card and am having some

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #1

Hey guys!

I just picked up a new motherboard, some RAM, and a new vid card and am having some issues with my computer turning itself off.

Heres some specs off the top of my head:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - stock speed
EVGA 790i SLI FTW mobo - just got it
4 GB Patriot Viper DDR3 RAM - just got it
EVGA Nvidia GTX 260 Superclocked video card - just got it
(Forget the name) 1000W power supply
Various hard drives and DVD drives

Anyway, I connected everything, made sure everything was seated correctly, powered on my computer and it stayed on for a few minutes and then shut off without warning like the power had been cut. It lasts for random amounts of time before it dies on me, but it never lasts for more than 30 minutes. It seems to run fine in safe mode, as far as I know (I don't spend that much time in safe mode). Though I have noticed that once it turns off the first time, it tends to turn off quicker than before (maybe heat related?).

I have done some research and most say its either my power supply or could be a failing device. I had some G Skill DDR3 RAM before the Patriot RAM and still had the same issue so I don't think thats it. I've only had my PSU for 2 months so I don't think thats it either, though I guess it still could be?

My first thought was heat, but the red light on the new board (indicating heat problems) never comes on when the system powers off. I even picked up an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, replaced the thermal compound with some Arctic Silver 5, and made sure all 4 of the pins were secure.

Also, SpeedFan reads my cpu temp idling at around 35C and the video card temp is well within normal ranges so I don't think it is heat, though my BIOS has no idea what my temps are. They bounce around from anywhere between -45C and 60C so I don't know whats up with that.

No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the system to stay on so I swapped out the new stuff with the old. My old set up had two Nvidia 8800s in SLI but now I have the new video card by itself in my old board with old RAM and the same problem happens. The system randomly turns off as if the power had been cut but it stays on for hours before it turns off.

All drivers are up to date as well as my BIOS.

Can this be a faulty video card?

Any help would be appreciated. Been working on this for days now and its frustrating.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

You have had it happen with the 8800 and the the GTX260 correct?
If so Then It would not be a video card. I would think power supply, or temps, what does the bios report the mb temp as, is it stable or jumps around also?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what brand and model is the 1000w

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #4

No, I never had it with the 8800s before, though I haven't tried them recently. I haven't gone completely back to my old set up including the 8800s, but I never had the problem before I got all the new parts.

And I just checked, its an Ultra X3 PSU
Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #5

Your problem sounds like a contact problems (short-circuit) though it should be not random like that, but still it sounds like a short-circuit problems :-/ My suggestion is, try to disconnect any drives you don't use; probably leaving only 1 harddrive (your primary ones) and 1 CD drive. And see if there's any change?

EDIT

Oh, and when you're swapping peripherals, do you always connect all the drives?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Did you do a clean format and install when you switched motherboards, or did you use the old hard drive on a new board?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vazaru View Post
No, I never had it with the 8800s before, though I haven't tried them recently. I haven't gone completely back to my old set up including the 8800s, but I never had the problem before I got all the new parts.

And I just checked, its an Ultra X3 PSU
You might want to try it with 1 8800 in if it either runs longer or does not shut down then I would check out the power supply.
Providing of course the windows installation is new or repaired after the MB swap.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench97 View Post
Providing of course the windows installation is new or repaired after the MB swap.
So you think it was a software/driver conflict problems? Hmm.. could be so.. the fact that he also said that the problem tends to dissapear in safe-mode so there's possibility that he don't do a clean OS reinstall after swapping motherboard or the driver of the new parts are conflicting. Could also a PSU problem though
Old 02-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #9

Sorry, been at work all day.

I had an old hard drive so I formatted it and stuck vista on it, get the same problem.

I am leaning towards a PSU issue. It happens A LOT more with the new motherboard than the old. The old board has a 24 pin and a 4 pin while the new one has a 24 and an 8. I don't really know if that means much, but just adding it to the available information.

I stuck in my old stuff with an older PSU and I seem to be running fine so far, though I've only had it running for about a half hour
Old 02-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

check the psu with a multi meter

https://www.driverheaven.net/guides/testingPSU/

Closed Thread