Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

New mobo/cpu... Smart failure or select boot device.

This is a discussion on New mobo/cpu... Smart failure or select boot device. within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I've got a new cpu/motherboard/ram from amazon, company builds and tests the components and ships them out. I have

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I've got a new cpu/motherboard/ram from amazon, company builds and tests the components and ships them out. I have two hard drives, one ssd with Windows on it, one hdd as storage. Installed the new stuff and turned it on and I get "smart failure predicted on Samsung hd105si" which is the storage hdd, with "press f1 to run setup". Pressing f1 does nothing - monitor goes to no signal and seemingly remains that way for good, though the pc remains on.

If I unplug the storage hdd I got to "please insert and select proper boot device" which I take to mean the new hardware can't read the ssd and requires a Windows setup. I have bootable usbs thy have worked in the past, and bth are recognised as USB drives when plugged in, but neither satisfies that proper boot device message.

I thought it might be bios load order but I cannot for the life of me get to the bios. No combination or pressing or any key at any point has gotten to it. Removing the cmos battery for 5 mins and replacing it seemingly did nothing either.

Booting up with just the ssd and the USB plugged in prevents either of the above options and it boots, goes to no signal and stays there and the keyboard lights go out. Booting with just the ssd and no ush results in select proper boot device.

Feels like an endless loop here. I think booting into bios is the key but it seems impossible.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Seeing that you got all of the hardware recently and new, I would recommend you contact the supplier for support or for replacement parts.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi first off you need to give make and model of motherboard and other hardware. Second when you put new motherboard you can't just put hard drive with windows on it all ready that was installed on another computer. You will need to reinstall windows. Until you give make and model of the hardware we can't tell you what key to press to get to bios

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2019, 02:33 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi, thanks for the responses. It's a ryzen 7 2700x on a b450m-a motherboard.

Suppliers don't work weekends so I thought I'd look elsewhere. They test the components before sending them out - I doubt they're the problem since it does actually boot, just can't seem to get to bios.

Ive tried del and f2 repeatedly many times, but they both seem to stop the pc doing anything.

Thanks again.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

Worth adding that I've got two monitors, a vga connection converted to display port and a hdmi monitor. Both are plugged in through the graphics card because the motherboard has a hdmi and a vga and I can't seem to get a signal on either monitor through them, even when the graphics card is removed.

Wondering if this is a problem? Shouldn't on board graphics kick in at that point and show something?
Old 02-09-2019, 04:23 AM   #6
Registered Member

Progress! I have reached the bios with the graphics card in. Bios only has one boot device, the ssd, and doesn't recognise botable USB sticks. Think if I can get a USB recognised I can reinstall Windows and things should be going ahead.

Any reason a USB wouldn't be picked up? They were created using Windows boot utility and have been used successfully to repair windows installations in the past.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Go in bios and look for maybe integrated peripheral or something like that

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #8
Registered Member

Try taping the F12 key after the post beeb.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBrown141 View Post
Hi, I've got a new cpu/motherboard/ram from amazon, company builds and tests the components and ships them out. I have two hard drives, one ssd with Windows on it, one hdd as storage. Installed the new stuff and turned it on and I get "smart failure predicted on Samsung hd105si" which is the storage hdd, with "press f1 to run setup". Pressing f1 does nothing - monitor goes to no signal and seemingly remains that way for good, though the pc remains on.

If I unplug the storage hdd I got to "please insert and select proper boot device" which I take to mean the new hardware can't read the ssd and requires a Windows setup. I have bootable usbs thy have worked in the past, and bth are recognised as USB drives when plugged in, but neither satisfies that proper boot device message.

I thought it might be bios load order but I cannot for the life of me get to the bios. No combination or pressing or any key at any point has gotten to it. Removing the cmos battery for 5 mins and replacing it seemingly did nothing either.

Booting up with just the ssd and the USB plugged in prevents either of the above options and it boots, goes to no signal and stays there and the keyboard lights go out. Booting with just the ssd and no ush results in select proper boot device.

Feels like an endless loop here. I think booting into bios is the key but it seems impossible.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Just because it is a new motherboard that does not mean that it is a perfect running unit. I bought two duplicate motherboards from Frys Electronics and both of them were bad. I had Frys check it out. I could not believe it and got a third one that was a little different and it worked fine. Can you believe a new mobo could be bad? Yes I can.
Closed Thread