Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

new mb will boot wont except any hd

This is a discussion on new mb will boot wont except any hd within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a new msi p4m900 igp chipset mb, every thing seems to be working correctly but it gives a

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #1

I have a new msi p4m900 igp chipset mb, every thing seems to be working correctly but it gives a blue screen when booting to hd, using the xp disk, or turns off and then back on when booting from safemode or anyother of those settings. I have disabled the system bios cache as the screen suggested, and unplugged everything but the cdrom and the hd. also I have tryed three different hd's with the same result, one of the hd's was new.

Im at a loss, any help would be greatly appr. thank you Micki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Is the hard disk visible in BIOS?

Seems like a hardware problem to me.

Can you try to go into BIOS and see what the temperatures and voltages that are posted there state? And then post those there?

Also, can you try booting with just one stick of memory if you have 2?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi Micki,
Are you trying to just hook up HD's that have XP installed on them already? Or are you trying to do a clean install of XP? I am thinking a clean install.
Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 12:54 AM   #4

I did the one memory thing, and on the msi tech page it tells me to enable raid and sata, I have a ata hd, does this sound right? also, I have tryed three hds one new, I know or think this problem is in the bio's

the temps are= 31c 87 f fan 2343rpm vcore 1.312
Old 01-19-2008, 02:09 AM   #5

i have tryed both, on a new hd with nothing on it, the same thing happens. Thank you for responding.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:28 AM   #6
Troubled

My System

Ok. Lets start from the beginning. Please download PC Wizard from the sig below and run it. Please then click FILE, SAVE AS (text) and name it and save it on the desktop. The copy the text out of that file into this thread.

Please also post what Power SUpply unit you are using. You are trying to install Windows XP Professional (32 bit or 64 bit?).

Please post that info and we can start from the beginning.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #7

I cannot put the pcwizard on the new pc, it will not let me to the hd, and the power supply is masscool 8w501B1M3G.

to recap, the system boots to post, then to safe mode screen, no matter what way I go it will go to blue screen.

if I use xp it will go as far as to download the drivers then go to blue screen. if I try and boot it normally it returns to the post screen . this is with any drive I have installed.

the home page for the mb, faq suggests that all raid and sata be enabled, this does not make since to me as i have none of these.

thank you .
Old 01-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #8

ok a mistake, when booting without cd pc goes to safemode or normal screen, then when you click on one it reboots back to the same screen, the only time it goes to the blue error screen is when booting from cdrom. sorry, I dont know if this is important, but I do try to be right about my statements as I see them, thanks for any help. micki
Closed Thread