Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

New Computer Woes

This is a discussion on New Computer Woes within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello Everyone, Recently I built a new computer, before I go any further I'm going to list each item that

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #1

Red Faced

Hello Everyone,

Recently I built a new computer, before I go any further I'm going to list each item that is in my computer. I'll provide links to specs to make it easy for everyone.

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-620w (https://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817139002)

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-VM DVI (https://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813131214)

Sound: Using the on board sound from the motherboard

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor (https://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16819103773)

RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB and 2 x 512mb (3gb total)) 240-Pin DDR2 800

HD: Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD (https://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16822136012)

The following items I took out of my old computer and put into this one until I have the money to replace them. My old PC worked perfectly fine, and as of now ran better then my new pc due to this problem. but I wanted to upgrade to a dual core.

NIC: Bigfoot Networks K1 (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833342002)

Graphics: BFG Tech BFGR79512GTXOCSINE GeForce 7900GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143062)

Now with all that being said here is my problem. I'm going to use World of Warcraft as my example, though it happens with any game I play (half life 2, stranglehold, quake wars, bioshock, etc)

When I'm starting out I'm sitting at about 60 FPS. After about 7 minutes or so, the whole system will lock up on me for about 8 seconds, the sound will stutter. Going from 60 FPS to 4, then after the 8 seconds or so it jumps right back up to 60 FPS. There no consistency as to why it would do this. Once it does it the first time (since i started playing) it will happen over and over every 2 minutes or so. Sometimes it will lock up so bad I wont even be able to bring up the task manager. Other times I can bring up the task manager and just terminate the program.

I'm usually pretty good as fixing this stuff. But this one has me stumped. I have all the latest in driver/ windows updates. shutting my anti virus off doesn't do anything. I tried different NIC, disabling the sound. The only thing I can think of is heat. But in my opinion it fixes its self too fast to be a heat problem. Though I have been wrong before. If its not heat, then i would guess that it would be something related to the motherboard. Though I wouldn't know what, hence why I've turned to the help of others

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Danny-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #2

I should probably also add that this is all inside a APEVIA X-Navigator case (https://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811144125) i has 3 80mm case fans (one in the top, one in the front, and one in the side) and a 120mm fan in the back.

The computer is air cooled, and the cpu has the heatsink and fan on it that come with the CPU.

If anymore details are need please let me know.

Thanks again
Old 10-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

check your device manager for any yellow conflicts-
what did you do for an operating system?
leave the side off with a fan blowing in to eliminate heat, unless the thermal compound wasnt installed properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #4

I'm going to try that idea with the fan. I'm running windows xp pro 32-bit edition. No yellow conflict items in my device manager either. I used the thermal grease that was already on the heat sink, just pealed off the foil and installed it. I bought some grease because i didn't think it would have some on the heat sink when i bought it. I'm thinking about taking it off, cleaning it and reapplying some grease. But I guess I'll try the fan idea first to see if that does anything.

Thanks speedster123
Old 10-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

I also have the X-Navigator. You aren't using the PSU that came with it by chance are you?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #6

No I'm using a Corsair 620w. I was originally using the PSU that came with it. But When I thought that could be my problem I replaced it.

Update: due to the fact I haven't found my fan yet since I moved, I went ahead and pulled off the heat sink. The grease cover was decent, but could have been better. So I went ahead and removed the old stuff and applied new grease. I started her back up and I ran the Half Life: Lost Coast video stress test. I ran 118 FPS (last time was 96) and I did not notice any problems with it appearing choppy, or having it freeze up on me. I went in to Episode one and starting playing and it was running pretty good. But after about 5 minutes it started doing it again. Just as often as before.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #7

Ok I found my fan, I tried it out while playing episode one, and for a good 10 minutes it ran fine (with my luck it was just where i was in the game). but then it started happening again like clock work

Before the fan test I ran 39 C and while playing it would go up to 52 C.

During the fan test is ran at 37 C and while playing would go up to 45 C.

I don't know how quick the monitoring software is when the game is frozen though.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

Is "Cool-n-Quiet" enabled in the BIOS? If so, disable it.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #9

It is on as of right now, tough I starting having this problem before I turned it on. Though I'm gonna shut it off now and see if that makes a difference

UPDATE: I disabled it as you ask. No change unfortunately, is there anything else I should consider disabling?

I'm gonna run a memtest, case it could be the ram. Figure I have nothing to loose at this point lol
Old 10-04-2007, 04:51 PM   #10

Memtest went fine
Old 10-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #11

One thing I did notice though is even though my hard drive is new, and I did a full format when I put windows on there. When I look at the disk defragger it says i should defrag my hard drive. It shows 17% of my hard drive as already fragmented. Don't know if this has anything to do with anything. But I figure it's worth mentioning.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #12

I ran memtest all night to see if there were any problems after multiple tests. No problems after six full tests
Closed Thread