Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

new build pc not booting

This is a discussion on new build pc not booting within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello Apologies if this question comes off a bit dense. I've only ever built a PC for myself once many

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #1

Hello

Apologies if this question comes off a bit dense. I've only ever built a PC for myself once many years ago and I'm having a go at it now for fun. My problem is as follows. I have the following components..

Mobo - Asus M2N-E SLI
CPU - AMD Dual Core 2.2GH
RAM - Kingston - 2 sticks of 1GB each
500GB hard drive
1 DVD+- drive
XFX GeForce 8400GS Graphics Card
450W ATX power supply

Now - at first, I had hooked up everything, flipped the switch, and everything seemed to fire up.. the fan on the case came on.. the neon lights in the case powered up.. the graphics card fan started running.. everything seemed to be working.. EXCEPT the BIOS. I read back through my ASUS mobo manually and noticed that I had missed one vital connection. I had successfully connected the 24 pin connection, but missed the 12V 4 pin connection near the top of the mobo. So I powered everything down, plugged in the 12V connection from the power supply.. and now I have absolutely nothing running. The green light on the mobo is still lit up.. but nothing else runs. The fan on the power supply no longer turns on... the lights in the case do not come on.. the fan in the case does not come on. Nothing works. Now.. if I turn off the power.. and unplug the 12V 4pin connector on the mobo, all the other stuff comes on again. So I'm stuck as to what to do now. Is it possible that I don't have enough power from my power supply? I have even unplugged the hard drive and DVD drive and it still doesn't seem to work. Hard for me to believe this system will need more than 450W. So any ideas? Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hi pipmiller Welcome to TSF
Not all power supply's are created equal.
Could you Provide the make, model and specifications for your power supply.
HERE is some info on power supply selection.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipmiller View Post
Hello

Is it possible that I don't have enough power from my power supply?
Yes...I don't know the exact chemistry involved to make the entire system not power up but when you apply all power plugs to the board, you don't have enough to power the other components.

Please understand, even though a PSU is rated at 450w doesn't mean you are actually receiving 450w to your system. Use the following link to calculate your power use.

https://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

450w for that system is a bit light. I would look at 550 - 650w.

What brand and model PSU do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #4

Hello and thanks for the advice so far. It's refreshing to find people so helpful. The PSU that I have is... Colors 450W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply

To see a spec on this PSU, here is a link.

https://www.planetmicro.co.uk/product...ckcode=M001403

I'm not opposed to buying a higher powered PSU, I just didn't want to have to go out and spend the extra money if I didn't need to. I wasn't sure if maybe there was something wrong with the mobo or maybe if I was just doing something obviously wrong.

Once again, any advice you might have is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #5

Many thanks for the Power supply calculator site. I've given it a go and tried to be a bit conservative in my responses. It estimates that I would need around 310W for the PSU, which leaves me scratching my head a bit as to why the 450W PSU doesn't seem to be able to power things up. Any ideas? Like I say, I would hate to buy a bigger, expensive one if I don't need one.

Thanks again in advance :-)
Old 02-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

there is a bit more to it than that
1/ the colorsit comes up reguarly because it is low quality with the same problem
2/when you use the calculator to the result you need to add 30%
310+30%=403 and it's based on a quality supply with at least 75% efficiency rating
3/pcie requires a minimum output on the 12v+ line of 26amps
the coloursit only puts out 20a
look for a quality 550w
https://www.techsupportforum.com/f210...on-192217.html

Old 02-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #7

Many thanks for the response Dai. That makes perfect sense to me. I'm going to order up a new PSU. That's what I get for being a bit cheap :-) Thanks again to everyone for all of your help. I'll give a higher powered, better quality PSU a go and see how it turns.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:48 AM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

post back with how you go with it

Old 02-24-2008, 02:32 AM   #9

I will indeed respond. I'm heading to PC World today. If they don't have a quality PSU for a decent price then I'll order one up on the web. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again :-)
Old 03-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #10

Hello All

Apologies for the delay in response. I've been off on holiday and so have had to put the project PC build aside for a bit. I'm back at it now and sad to report that I'm still having the same problem as before. I've now upgraded my power supply to something respectable. I have an Atrix 650W supply which looks like it should provide enough power for everything. Same result though. If I don't hook the 12V P4 connector into the motherboard CPU supply, then everything else comes on - the fan, lights, fan on the graphics card, hard drive spins... The PC just doesn't boot of course because I haven't powered up the CPU. When I do connect the P4 connector to the CPU then nothing comes on. Phew.. what to do now. Here's a link for the new power supply.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atrix-Black-...5073478&sr=8-3

Many thanks everyone.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

it looks like a m/b problem
are there any swollen or leaking caps
cannot find any listed details on the atrix which points to low quality

Old 03-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #12

Thanks for that Dai. I can't seem to see any swollen or leaking caps, though I'm not sure what that would look like to be honest. Maybe I still don't have the proper PSU. I thought this one would have done it, but maybe not. If price is any indication of quality, I would have hoped this would have been at least a mid-range PSU. I might just have to resign to taking it in to a local shop to see what they can do. I hate to do that since I'm trying to learn a bit in doing it for myself, but maybe I'm a bit over my head at the moment. I'll keep checking round on the internet to see if I can find a definite recommended power supply for this CPU. Thanks for all of your help so far.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

you will find some in the link i gave you
https://www.techsupportforum.com/f210...on-192217.html

Old 03-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #14

Thanks for the link Dai. I'm still scratching my head a bit. I'm still rather confused about determining what runs of which rail. My current supply is an Atrix 650T 650W 12V 2.2 compatible with the following maximum per rail..

+3.3v 30A +5V 30A +12V1 16A +12V2 16A -12V .5A -5V 2.5A

I have several 12V connectors, but I can't seem to use any of them, other than the 2x2 connector into the mobo near to the CPU. I have a gaphics card - the XFX GeForce 8400GS previously mentioned. That only seems to be powered by the mobo though as far as I can see - there's no connection on it to have a direct power connection. So I'm just wondering - it looks like my PSU has a max of 16A for each 12V rail... but since I can only use one 12V rail, does that mean I can only use 16A? If so, then how do I know how many amps all of the items attached to the mobo are using? With the 24 pin connector attached to the mobo (without the 12V ATX connection), everything works, including the fan on the graphics card - which makes me think the graphics card is drawing power enough power from that source. It's only when I plug in the 12V 2x2 pin ATX connector to power up the CPU that NOTHING then powers up. I just can't seem to find out how to measure how many amps my CPU/graphics card/memory/ and other devices require and from which rail. I'm thinking this must either be down to me still not having the correct power source or a faulty motherboard. Help!!!

Many thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #15
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

you add the 2 12v lines together=32 this will give you available amps around the min required of 26a,but it could be as low as 24a which would be a problem
can you borrow a higher ampage psu to try in it
set it up out of the case with
cpu
video
ram
speaker
and see if it posts with the aux power plug in the m/b,if not suspect the m/b

Old 03-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #16

Hello Dai. Sorry to be a pain again, but can you tell me how you calculated the minimum 24A for the 12V rail? I've been searching the literature and web for specs for my my Graphics Card and CPU but can't find that information anywhere?? Oddly enough as well, if I unplug the grapics card from the mobo and try to fire up just the CPU and motherboard, I still get absolutely nothing working.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #17
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

the min requirement is 26amps not 24 amps
i go on the figures put out by the video companies

Old 03-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #18

Hello All
Apologies for taking so long to get back to this. The Mrs and I have been off on holiday. Now back to my nightmare :-) Iv'e taken all of the components apart and put them back together again and it looks like I've made a bit of progress. Using my original power supply, everything finally seems to come on. The CPU fan spins, the fan in the case spins, the lights in the case turn on, the hard drive spins, the DVD drive spins. The only problem now is output. The fan on the graphics card seems to be spinning. I've tried it in both PCI-Express slots, but no glory as of yet. I'm stumped at the moment as to why I'm getting no output to the monitor. I've reset CMOS by taking the battery out over night. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Feels like it's nearly there now.
Many thanks in advance to everyone.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #19
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

see if you can borrow a better quality psu to try in it

Closed Thread