Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

New build cycles on and off, before POST

This is a discussion on New build cycles on and off, before POST within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just put together a new build for the end of the year game releases. I had some troubles at

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I just put together a new build for the end of the year game releases. I had some troubles at first (very easy mistakes: forgot cpu power, had to boot with 1 stick of memory). But I was able to get in and set up the BIOS so the SSD would be recognized, and then install Windows 7 on the SSD. Went through the control panel setting up some basic important preferences (no recycle bin, auto login, etc.) Also used a guide with another pc on setting up Windows 7 a little more thoroughly for the SSD. Restarted the pc, and now it just cycles before the POST. I've taken everything out, and layed the mobo (with cpu, cpu fan, 1 stick of ram, video card) and the PSU on a piece of cardboard but still can't find the problem. It shouldn't be the RAM because I can't even get to where i get the beep codes. The psu worked fine last night. I've checked the cpu fan to see if it was on wrong, or too tight, or too loose, and it's fine. I've tried all 4 sticks individually in all 4 dimm slots (i know to keep the 1 in dimm1). So i'm thinking the problem lies somewhere in the mobo or cpu. Is there someway to test this out? Using spare parts isn;t an option. The only other pc here is running completely different cpu and ram.

Azza Hurrican 2000R
MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
i7-2600k
Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R
(8gb, 4 sticks) G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL
EVGA GTX 570 HD
CRUCIAL CT064M4SSD2
WD WD1502FAEX
Corsair GS800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

So just to clarify, you don't get anything on the screen when you turn it on?(No POST screen or error messages?)

May be a silly question but have you tried clearing the CMOS on the mobo?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Nothing shows up on screen at all. This is my description of what's happening: *turns the psu on* > *presses power button on mobo* > lights come on, fans turn, cpu phase lights go all the way to SIX > 4 seconds later everything just powers off > then it just repeats from everything turning on, to turning off, until i manually turn off the psu.

And i failed to mention, but yes, i did clear the CMOS. I just dont get why a reboot would cause this. Everything was fine just before. I didn't download anything (wasn't even connected to the internet). And i didn't mess with the parts since long before the installation of Windows 7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The settings you changed from within windows has nothing to do with the computer POSTing. Those settings only effect settings for your OS which are all on the hard drive. If you just did the jumper trick with the CMOS clearing, I would consider pulling the CMOS battery and leaving it out for 10 mins and discconect the PSU. Then reconnect everything and see if it will power on.

If that doesn't get you anywhere....
Do you happen to have a friend you can borrow a spare power supply from? I would start with that since you aren't getting any beep error codes.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Using spare parts isn;t an option. The only other pc here is running completely different cpu and ram.
It doesn't matter what cpu and ram the other pc is running as long as the other power supply is at least 550w and a quality unit.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Well, the battery removal for 10 minutes with psu disconnected didn't work. I guess i'll pull the psu out of this one of see where that gets me.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Yeah try that. Let us know if there are any changes.

Good Luck
Old 06-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Swapping out the power supplies changed nothing at all. Still the same on/off cycling. It was a Corsair 750w. Anymore suggestions? I really don't wanna have to take this to a shop or get parts RMA'd
Old 06-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

I just read about some compatiablity problems with my mobo and g.skill ram. COuld this be the problem? DOesn't really explain how i was able to fully install windows and what not, but it does seem interesting
Old 06-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

If it fails to POST with the bare minimum parts during a bench test, you definately have a defective part im afraid. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your probably looking at a motherboard or video card replacement. Processors are pretty bullet-proof and I doubt all 4 sticks of your ram are bad since you already mentioned that you tried them individually. Do you have another video card you can try or a computer you can test you video card in?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Just saw your post about the ram...G SKill ram is good memory but it is possible that is the problem. Since it worked fine with installation of windows, I have my doubts that is the problem though.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

I know the video card works because I just pulled it out of the old pc. I was running the gtx 570 with a 9600gt as a physx dedicated card. Ran smooth and cool since march. should i try and RMA the board? or just trach it and go with something that may be a bit more reliable?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

It seems like a lot of the owners of this board have the same issue. It arrives and almost immediately starts this power cycle rampage. Maybe i should ditch the msi and get a gigabyte or asus.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

I think this is a motherboard problem, but your testing without any drives hooked up(Optical, SSD or conventional hard drive), 1 stick of ram, and jumping the pins on the front panel header(no case wiring hooked up)?

What CPU cooler are you running?
If you have removed the cooler to check did you clean off the old and install new thermal paste?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Replaced thermal paste. Ran with stock cpu fan. Ran with dvd drive, hdd, and ssd. Tried the jumpers. I think i'll just trash this mobo and go with a different brand that doesnt have this issue with 1/30 customers.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #16
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Did you run it without the drives hooked up?

Here's the 3 I've used the Sabertooth is my favorite of the 3.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #17
Registered Member

My System

Yes, I did run it without drives hooked up. Went from full system in case, to full system out of case, to just mobo, cpu/fan, psu, 1 stick of ram.

Looked into my case a little more and found tons of others with the exact same problem. And just on this model. So i've decided to go with a different brand and possibly save some hatred for MSI.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #18
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

MSI's quality goes back and forth, as soon as it appears they have it straightened out and under control along comes anther dud :)
Old 06-29-2011, 04:44 AM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Yeah, if that many people are having the same issue then you probably are right. I always read tons of reviews before I buy anything electronic. I have had a few MSI boards before and they have been great. (I've also had one that was DOA.) Same goes for gigabyte im afraid. I had one of their boards that was horrible. My advice is to pick a board thats been out for a while and has alot of solid reviews. That way you have at least a slightly better chance of not having any issues with it.

Good Luck
Old 06-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #20
Registered Member

My System

Apparently one small issue is that mobo developers are still trying to figure out how to best utilise the Sandy Bridge, so things are a tad iffy. I found one mobo I'm interested in: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3. I think it's fairly new, so it still has it's little issues, but it's mainly in the optional software that comes with it, I believe. Then there is this one: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3). Seems to be tons more stable, thus probably making this the winner for my build. I guess stability trumps most-up-to-date. What do you guys think? I would like to make the purchase tonight from Newegg, because I usually get shipments from them 2 days after purchase, sometimes 1 day (warehouse 1 1/2 hours away). And thanks for the help so far. So sad looking at my build taken apart and put back in the boxes, when it should have been done this week. Oh well. That's part of it all, I guess.
Closed Thread