Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

New APU system dead in the water

This is a discussion on New APU system dead in the water within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have the following components: Asus F1A75-V Pro Motherboard AMD A8 3870 APU Kingston HyperX Ram 16GB- KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX and an

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have the following components:

Asus F1A75-V Pro Motherboard
AMD A8 3870 APU
Kingston HyperX Ram 16GB- KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX
and an OLDER power supply: Thermaltake TR2-430W (W0070RU) - which was working on an older build until I took it out 2 hours ago and dropped it in my new case.

I (foolishly) installed everything in my case, and connected a brand new Corsair SSD (Force3), and connected in all the stuff (USB2 ports, audio in/out, power and reset switches and LEDs). With everything connected I plugged in the power supply and flipped the switch on the PSU. The Standby Light on the Motherboard came on. I pressed power button on the front of the case, but nothing happened (nothing changed that I could discern, no noises, no fans, no additional lights, no flicker in the standby light, nothing...) .

I have since disconnected everything, and pulled out all but one stick of ram (I've rotated which stick, and which slot I'm using), but I still get the exact same results. The Standby light on the
MOBO turns on, but nothing else happens when I hit the power (or reset) buttons. I've also tried unplugging the leads to the power switch and manually bridging the gap with a screwdriver, but with no different results.

All that is connected now is: APU is on motherboard, with provided heat-sink/fan installed and plugged in.
One 4-gig stick of ram
The Power supply 24-pin connector is plugged in securely, the 4-pin 12V connector is plugged into the rightmost half of the 8-pin plug on the board (the only way in which it will physically go in, and also the only way it would cover the pin labelled "Pin 1" on the motherboard).

OK- so probably way too much info, but here are my theories, hopefully you can invalidate them or provide others.

1. The quad core APU can't run on only a 4-pin power supply- if so, would a simple 4 to 8 pin converter fix my problem?
2. The ram is incompatible with the board (this exact set isn't listed as being compatible, but the 12-gig set with essentially the same number is on the list: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Memory/Device Support (F1A75-V PRO) F1A75-V PRO )
3. The Motherboard is DOA.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there anyway to test the above without buying anything additional? Is there another problem that I could be having? Any thoughts are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

At this point, I have to recommend you back up a little. Pull the board out of the case and proceed with a benchtest using only minimum components.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...em-171424.html

PS:
1) Not an issue
2) Should not be an issue
3) Possible, but we won't go there yet.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

put a quality 550w 80+ psu in it

TR2-430W low quality bin material is not going to run it

Power Supply Information and Selection - Tech Support Forum

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Registered Member

So I have basically done the bench test as described in the link above, except that my motherboard is in the case. Could this be the issue? is it really worth pulling the MoBo out of the case to do the same thing (try to start it with only 1 stick of ram, and the processor installed) outside the case? If this could tell me something, I'll do it, but it seems like each time I'm putting my hands on the board and and maneuvering it in and out of the case I am risking damage... could a short explain my issues? Is there some other issue that removing everything from the case might solve?

Thanks so much for the quick replies!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Emeritus

A bench test should be dome precisely as described.
If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective

Old 02-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

The idea behind the benchtest is to eliminate as many components from the equation as possible. Think of the case as just another component which itself may have 'failed'. Something as mundane as an out of place motherboard standoff or a wire with chafed insulation can and often will cause the system to fail to boot.

If the system boots with the minimum components but fails once another is added, you know where you should be looking for the fault. If it won't POST with the absolute minimum necessary, you also know where you should be looking.
Closed Thread