Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Need help with motherboard voltages

This is a discussion on Need help with motherboard voltages within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Antec Truepower 2.0 550watts Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L 4gb 4x1 OCZ DDR2 800 E4500 @2.75 8800GT 512mb 1 DVR 2 SATA HD

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #1

Antec Truepower 2.0 550watts
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
4gb 4x1 OCZ DDR2 800
E4500 @2.75
8800GT 512mb
1 DVR
2 SATA HD 120gb & 500gb

This is what Everest says my voltages are at idle:

CPU Core 1.39v
+2.5= 2.05v
+3.3= 3.36v
+5= 5.03v
+12- 2.05v (not a typo)
+5 Standby= 5.38v

This is what Speedfan says my voltages are at idle:

Vcore1= 1.39v
Vcore2= 2.02v
+3.3= 3.36v
+5= 5.03v
+12= 2.05v
-12= -16.97v
-5= -4v
+5= 5.38v
Vbat= 3.14v

Unfortunately my bios doesn't list the actual voltages, it just says "ok" next to them. All are listed as ok. I have tested the rails with a multimeter. All are within normal limits. I tried a different PSU, but Everest and Speedfan list the voltages at about the same. I also tested this other PSU with my multimeter, and it too is fine.

I would assume that the sensors on the motherboard are simply bad. (Can you RMA a motherboard for faulty sensors?) But the problem is my 8800GT just died. That's how I spotted the wacky voltages to begin with. One day while playing AoC textures turned to solid colors and started flashing. Then the pc locked up while watching videos online. I updated drivers, I tried older drivers, nothing helped. Now even from before post, the graphics are messed up. Wavy lines across the screen, little pink squares with 6's and square root signs in them. Windows won't even load the card. It says the device reported an error and shuts it down.

I tried the 8800GT with a different mobo and OS, but same results. I put an old x800 in, and everything works fine. The voltages listed above were taken with the x800 since I can't get the 8800GT to work at all.

The computer is dust free, temps are all fine, I've cleaned the connectors, reseated everything, and the readings are still the same.

So are the odd voltages listed just the result of a bad sensor?
Is my graphics card dying just a coincidence?
Are there any other tests I can do to narrow down the problem?

Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

voltages look ok .............. I dont see any to be alarmed about ......all voltages have a range of "+-" of ...... motherboard sensors and the programs which monitor them are fairly accurate ............ the only thing I would be cognoscente of is your power supply .......... the antec true power has a history of less than stellar performance ........... thats why we dropped them from our recommended list ...............

try to send the video card back to the manuf on an RMA ...........
Old 03-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderman View Post
voltages look ok .............. I dont see any to be alarmed about
Really? The 12v Rail says it's only getting 2.05v. That's well outside the limits I've read about.

I've tried to rma the card, but unfortunately it only had a one year warranty, and after the first email they stopped responding to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Most likely, my friend linderman either didn't see the +12 rail reading or else he determined that the sensor was not working properly. If a true reading, that is not up to any specs as listed by the manufacturer.

It is too bad you don't have a great power supply to try in there, because the one you have is a very unreliable unit as far as steady power to be supplied to "any" video card that demands a steady stream of power. If this were my rig, I would try to beg, borrow, or steal (only kidding), a powerful supply to try in there. IMHO, any good 550 is going to be pushed to run an 8800 in the first place, and then with the one you have....well, good luck on that Antec putting out enough "steady" juice to pull it.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

Tumbleweed is correct ...............as usual

no way would a system even run if the 12volt were really at 2.05 volts ......... so yes; I did dismiss that reading ........... that is actually a common sensor reading error ......

I should have expounded on that ................ I also looked at the 3.3 and 5.0 volt

generally when a power supply is in trouble .......... those are out of wack too ..........

example the 3.3 volt might be 2.8 / 2.9 and the 5.0 volt might be 4.7 / 4.8

and the 12volt might be 11.4 or 11.5 ............ then its safe to say ......... its toast

I also agree with Tumble on the upgrade to a Corsair unit ............... sooner or later that antec will cause you alot of grief $$$$$$$$$$$$ ............ the Antec Trio's and NeoHE's are ok / fair ................ but the antec smart power and true power......... not so stellar

the bios voltages with the "ok" also means they are within the motherboards anticipated range
Old 03-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #6

Thanks for the input guys. It's greatly appreciated.

I think I'm going to replace my 8800 with a 4870, and newegg has Corsair TX psu's on sale right now. What wattage would you recommend I get with my setup?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

With the 4870, I would go with a Corsair 750, and they are on sale right now at NewEgg.com for $89.99 after Mail in rebate.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

Side Note: Or for about twenty bucks more, you could step up to the big league with a Corsair 850, and that would leave you room to experiment with even more high powered video combinations. Both deals are simply a steal with free shipping.
Closed Thread