Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Need advice for removing a motherboard.

This is a discussion on Need advice for removing a motherboard. within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Pretty simple question. I don't have the computer around me and the person who owns it does not have the

Old 04-28-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Pretty simple question. I don't have the computer around me and the person who owns it does not have the knowledge or skill to figure it out on their own.
Pretty much, as far as I know they need to remove one screw from the motherboard to replace it. I can't figure out what the specific type of screw is from the picture/description (if it even is one). The computer is a custom build.
The motherboard is an ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4. It was put together by a friend they knew were schooling who does interning and they take apart computers for salvageable parts, but they only ever talked in person so finding contact is difficult.

The screw pictured can't be twisted out by finger and none of the screwdrivers that they have are able to get it off.
It is possible it's being held in by some other thing or spot, but as far as I know all the other screws were removed and whatever this is is keeping it in.

Pictured is the motherboard with the screw and a reference picture of the motherboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	325624   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASROCK b450 pro.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	325626  
Controldeleters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi hard tell by the picture but it looks like a 1/4 or 5/16 head if they have a nut driver of those sizes or sockets that should work if it is indeed a socket head screw. you would think they would all be the same screws that holds down the motherboard to the standoffs. looks like their is 6 screws that hold it on.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
oscer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:40 AM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Doesn't look like a screw or nut. Looks like a standoff on the case that latches onto the motherboard when the board is slid into position. The hole on the motherboard seems a bit bigger than the standoff to allow for such a move. I wouldn't be quick to try and slide it off though, because the image doesn't clearly show what we have here. A careful visual inspection of this fastener is required, and the still image doesn't reveal much.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2020, 01:28 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Question: it's been awhile since i've done a build. That said I can only see 6 mobo screw mouting points. There used to be 9 mounting points. Well 9 on every ATX mobo i've installed. So when did they (mobo) go to 6? Or am I just not seeing the other 3?
Old 04-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #5
Registered Member

I'm not exactly sure. From what I've been watching for builds recently I think I keep seeing bags that come with 6 screws for the motherboard. I don't have this in person so I can't tell you.

I appreciate the information in the thread though.
If it is a standoff, is it supposed to literally just slide off? The motherboard should be very dead so hurting it isn't really too much of a worry.
Controldeleters is offline   Reply With Quote