Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

My pc has been stuttering/lagging for a few days after some motherboard damage

This is a discussion on My pc has been stuttering/lagging for a few days after some motherboard damage within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. so basically i was replacing my thermal paste and one of the nails got stuck in this slot you can

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

so basically i was replacing my thermal paste and one of the nails got stuck in this slot you can see in the photo and i ended up having to remove the slot and refastening it into the bracket which is fairly annoying to do. In doing so i managed to damaged my motherboard around the edge of the motherboard socket as you can see in the photo i was wondering is this the type of damage that could cause issue with my pc to stutter and for my audio to be a bit dodgy at times. I seem to have this issue when i get stuttering on my pc or lagg when doing a random task and then my mic stops working in discord and i have to unplug it and plug it into another usb slot to get it to work. i have no idea if this would cause damage to the motherboard or not im betting it would be i need some advice cause im not sure whether to replace the motherboard or what to do.

here is a picture of the damage : https://gyazo.com/92de7a5ae949f64c667f90859dfb7bcc

the motherboard is a z170x gaming 3 ddr4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Those metal brackets are used for strength as well as a ground for electrical signals. It shouldn't hurt the board if they are missing, but that sort of damage could have damaged something else causing your issues.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Those metal brackets are used for strength as well as a ground for electrical signals. It shouldn't hurt the board if they are missing, but that sort of damage could have damaged something else causing your issues.
so do you think my best bet is to replace the board or do you think it could be something else im completely stumped tbh

Im not sure if it was damage tbh it just sort of came off around the edge of the standoffs im not really even sure how it happened it just happened when i screwed down the cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

It could be heat. Have you checked the temperatures of all of the components?
Closed Thread