Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

My PC doesn't recognize the HD

This is a discussion on My PC doesn't recognize the HD within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My PC must be geriatric! After an hour of sitting idle the screen goes black and I get a message

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 04:03 PM   #1

Pin

My PC must be geriatric! After an hour of sitting idle the screen goes black and I get a message telling me that there is a missing OS or HD (can't remember exactly) and that I am to put in a valid system disk. After inserting the rescue disk and pressing ENTER, I get the same message.
I press CTL ALT DEL to bring up the first screen and while it is going through it's memory test, I press DEL to enter BIOS. When I go to the first screen in BIOS it shows that I have no HD. When I have it scan for an HD it still comes up nil.
What could be wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Responses can either be posted here or sent to my email addy of [email protected]

Thanx in Advance,
Dave

P.S. Eventually I have to restart the system. At that point the PC operates fine. I also remember that my virus software found two infected registry keys and quaranteened them. Could this be part of the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2004, 06:53 PM   #2

it seems that its more on the physicall connection..
Old 09-16-2004, 07:30 PM   #3

O.K. lets go back in time when 1mb of ram was ultimate (kind of funny since I am only fifteen, but hey I grew up on DOS). Many BIOS can only recognize so much hard drive. How old is the motherboard and did you just buy a massive hard drive. (Even some more recent BIOS even from 2001 still only recognize up to 80gb). If this is the problem you could update your bios.
It sounds more like a screwed up hard drive or a corrupted OS though so try and install the OS again, or sadly if your floppy drive sounds better than your hard drive it may be the graveyard for your hard drive. By the way how often do you shut down improperly because somtimes when you do the write head in you drive will actually touch the disk's surface and scratch it and that will definitly kill your disk.
Closed Thread