Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

My integrated APU A10-7850k Gpu started working very slowly.

This is a discussion on My integrated APU A10-7850k Gpu started working very slowly. within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello Tech Support, hope you can help me because im stuck. First of all, SPECS: Motherboard: ASUS A88XM-A CPU/GPU: AMD

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello Tech Support, hope you can help me because im stuck.

First of all, SPECS:

Motherboard: ASUS A88XM-A

CPU/GPU: AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7

Memory: DDR3 G.Skill 8GB 1333 Mhz F3-2666C12-8GTXD (single, I know it throttles the cpu but I had no problem until now)

PSU: Generic chinese / Seasonic 750W M12 II Evo

HDD: WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0

Cooling: Corsair Hydro H80i V2

Okey, the problem started a month ago, the pc started to randomly freeze for 1-10 seconds when i was playing games, rendering them unplayable. At this time the PC was running with the generic chinese PSU (i know, but i had no money to upgrade). The problem seemed to be kinda random, and it always happened when the pc was under stress, gaming opening 12 chrome tabs at once, etc. Then it became a biggern concern because it started to do it almost all the time, even when trying to open the start menu on windows. I first tought it could be a software problem, drivers, or dust collected in the pc. So i started to troubleshoot.

First of all I cleaned all the pc components, focusing on processor fans and dissipator, even opened and cleaned the PSU.

I tought this could solve the problem, the performance improved but the problem persisted.

Second I tried solving the software aspect of it, a clean install. The PC needed a format anyways so i went with it, formatting the entire disk (after doing backups) and creating new partitions with the last edition of windows 10. I installed the original drivers that I had all stored in a folder in Documents waiting for this day, they are old drivers but worked fine the last 2 years.

Tought it could be a driver problem so uninstalled the old ones and installed the latest ones from AMD website. Nope, same thing, constantly freezes. Until now i had tried 3 drivers and all had the same problem (original windows drivers, old ones that i had and new ones just downloaded from the amd site). So it wasn't the drivers.

Again, this didn't solve the problem, the pc still kept freezing and unfreezing.

Third I downloaded Hardware monitoring and testing tools, after a clean install, it had to be some hardware issue.

Tested the S.M.A.R.T hdd and it looked fine, tested the RAM, and no problem, ram problems would BSOD the pc, so i didn't suspect much about them. Tested the CPU and it went just fine, no freezes or anything.

I tried getting a good reading on CPU or GPU temperatures but every single monitoring program kept giving me odd readings, CPU was 25 C to 35 under load, that's crazy low and i think it's inaccurate. GPU was from -5 to 7 (yes negative number). I don't live in alaska or have a room temperature of -20 so that is simply not true. Programs used were MSI Afterburner, CPUID HWMonitor, SpeedFan and BIOS monitor settings, none of wich gave good readings.

After that i tought maybe the chinese PSU was the problem, I had a plan of switching for a better one but times were rough, so I asked a friend to lend me his PSU to test it on my pc, he gladly did.

After I Switched the PSU for the Seasonic one, the problem disappeared... or would I say, morphed.

With the new PSU the PC didn't froze again, but the performance decreased dramatically, GPU side speaking. I used to play League of Legends at 60fps on high, now i could manage 20 fps on ultra low. The data un CPUID tells me that the GPU clock is at 351mhz, when it should be ~700mhz (i think it could be because of a single slot ram, but again i always had it and i had no problems before). Also every time there is a video task, the GPU instantly goes to 100% and doesn't even compare with the performance it had before.

I tried switching drivers after changing the PSU with no luck.

Im stuck right now, everything works but the gpu is much slower than before, the new PSU works just fine, I want to make sure that is the real problem before buying a new one.

Does the old PSU broke the GPU side of the amd processor? Is that even possible? Why is it so slow now even after replacing the PSU? why the problem changed, if it was something about the voltage it should be fixed by now.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance =D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

What type of CPU cooler do you have?
Old 09-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Yes a bad Psu will starve all components and damage them in doing so.
How old is the hard drive as the drive itself could have something to do with the issue.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
What type of CPU cooler do you have?
The Cooler is Specified in SPECS, its liquid refrigeration corsair hydro H80i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Yes a bad Psu will starve all components and damage them in doing so.
How old is the hard drive as the drive itself could have something to do with the issue.
I've done some stress tests on the Hard Disk and it returned no errors, the disk is probably 2 years old (not much for a hdd).

Thanks for your relplies, ill update if i get more info.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:11 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Quote:
I've done some stress tests on the Hard Disk and it returned no errors, the disk is probably 2 years old (not much for a hdd).
Quite true but bear in mind Blue WD drive has 2 year warranty.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:54 AM   #6
Hardware Tech Team

My System

The older PSU isn't going to suddenly blow up your components. That is mostly a myth propagated by certain forums. Something happened in the transition from your PSU swap right? Unless you did something else in the interim that would lower your GPU (APU) FPS. By they way you have an APU, not a GPU per say. The 7850 is an APU, but actually a CPU with iGPU. AMD just calls it an "APU" but it's not much different from an Intel CPU with iGPU. Basically you are using your CPU's integrated graphics capability. You do not need a 720w Seasonic PSU for that you needed a decent quality 450w-600w for that. Good that you got the Seasonic though but the above posting that it can take out your other components is not true for the most part but yes in very rare occasions it can.

Reinstall your older PSU and see if you regain your FPS, and figure out what you did wrong software-wise, or PSU install wise with your new power supply. It's very likely that all you may need to do is re-check your power supply connections to the 4-6 pin (CPU) and the main ATX power supply (reseat them). Possibly clearing your CMOS might help, never say never because you never know.
Closed Thread