Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

My first build EVER, small speedbump.

This is a discussion on My first build EVER, small speedbump. within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys! Let me start off by saying I read these forums like a bible since building my computer and

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Hi guys!

Let me start off by saying I read these forums like a bible since building my computer and this is my first post, be gentle!

Some Background:

I bought a Dell Studio XPS 435t/9000 (the model was renamed at some point), and I loved it. It ran great and had some decent hardware inside. After a while I decided that I wanted to get into building my own computers. Money was my biggest concern, so what better way to get my feet wet than to buy a new, nice case and just "move" my computer to it. This decision left me forced to get a little bit more than my feet wet, let me explain.

I chose the HAF 932 computer chassis for my project and I was very impressed with the features and the cooling. I began dismantling the Dell Studio in preparation for the move. Unfortunately, a few problems occurred.

The heatsink that was attached to my motherboard was a no-name, alternatively mounted heatsink. The Heatsink screwed DIRECTLY into the back of the inside of the chassis. if you don't know, the HAF 932 (and many other 3rd party chassis) have a big open square where the heatsink is placed. This left me with NO place to screw my heatsink into.

Also, Dell used a no-name motherboard (go figure). I could not find ANY documentation on the motherboard, no manuals, no nothing. I even called Dell and they pretty much blew me off, not helpful at all.

At this point, I have the dell motherboard inside the new case with no way of mounting the heatsink, and NO documentation on where ANYTHING plugs into on the motherboard. (keep in mind this is the very first time I had ever tried to move a computer to a new case). I was screwed. (As a sidenote, the power supply was also no-named and was not long enough to connect to the cd/hd drives).

So this is what I did:

I bought a new motherboard, an aftermarket heatsink, and a new power supply.

I installed all of the parts carefully making sure to do extensive research on installation as I built the computer. I had everything in the HAF 932, all the cables connected properly. I was ready to boot it up for the first time.

The computer boots up perfectly, all the fans run, the LEDS are lit, and I get it to POST, AWESOME!

Believe it or not, there is still a problem, i'm not just using this as my blog .

When I boot up the computer, the monitor shows the bios screen (its a flashy screen with options on how to enter setup and whatnot) and it hangs and locks up. If I power down the computer and start it over, it POSTs perfectly, but it ALWAYS requires 2 "start-ups". If I restart the computer from windows, it POSTs perfectly. If I SHUT DOWN the computer, and then turn it on, I need to power it on twice due to the hang.

The motherboard I purchased has an LED readout that displays numbers and letters that tell me where it hangs, and when it hangs/locks up the motherboard reads "78". My motherboard manual lists this as:

"Initializes IPL devices controlled by BIOS and option ROMS"

Now, this isn't neccessarily a HUGE problem, but it's pretty annoying having to start my computer, wait for it to lock up, then restart it again to get to desktop.

Does anybody know what could be going on here?

System Specs:

CoolerMaster HAF 932 Case
Corsair GS600 Power Supply
ASRock x58 Extreme LGA 1366 Motherboard
Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz Quad Core
Ninja Scythe 3 CPU Cooler
Nvidia GeForce 460 GTX 1024 MB GDDR5
4GB DDR3 Memory
500GB Hard Drive
Windows 7 Home Premium

(If any further info is required I would be more than happy to help)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 04:17 AM   #2
Registered Member

i have a feeling from experience its your HDD hanging up,
does you HDD happen to be a WD?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

Excuse my ignorance but what is WD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
Emeritus

WD = Western Digital but I doubt the Hdd is your problem.
The Error you posted indicates a Bios problem.
Try clearing the CMOS using the Mobo jumper. Instructions are in the Mobo Manual.
If no joy, look over the posts from the ASRock forum: AsRock 939Dual SATA2 Post Error 0078 - COMMUNICASIA 2011 News Coverage | AMD 990FX | BullDozer | APU | LIano | Socket FM1 | Computex Taipei 2011 News Coverage | OCWORKBENCH

Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

Corsair GS600 Power Supply

is not one of their recommended models

i would be up here

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
WD = Western Digital but I doubt the Hdd is your problem.
The Error you posted indicates a Bios problem.
Try clearing the CMOS using the Mobo jumper. Instructions are in the Mobo Manual.
If no joy, look over the posts from the ASRock forum: AsRock 939Dual SATA2 Post Error 0078 - COMMUNICASIA 2011 News Coverage | AMD 990FX | BullDozer | APU | LIano | Socket FM1 | Computex Taipei 2011 News Coverage | OCWORKBENCH
I appreciate the link, but it seems the user is having a slightly different problem than mine, I can get my computer to POST, consistently too. I just have to shut it down when it locks up and when I turn it back on I can get to desktop.

@dai - I had an employee from a computer hardware store help me in choosing my power supply, I noticed you linked me a 750w Corsair PSU, I have a Corsair PSU already. Is there a list of recommended models? and who exactly is recommending this?

EDIT: I also have a Clr CMOS button on the I/O in the back of my computer, would this be a healthy alternative to messing with the jumper cables on the motherboard? Also, what will clearing the CMOS do?

Thanks to everyone for your help!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Emeritus

The Corsair GS Series are OK but not the same quality as the SeaSonic made TX-VX-HX-AS Series.
The CMOS clearing button should suffice.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
The Corsair GS Series are OK but not the same quality as the SeaSonic made TX-VX-HX-AS Series.
The CMOS clearing button should suffice.
The PSU I purchased is brand new, is it no good? Or are you just saying I could have got better? Could my PSU be causing this problem?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
ROG Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008

My System

We are just saying "you could have got better quallity"

But yes Reset your CMOS, using the button or the jumpers and let us know what happens.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1tecice View Post
We are just saying "you could have got better quallity"

But yes Reset your CMOS, using the button or the jumpers and let us know what happens.
Just reset the CMOS and booted it up, it asked me to load default settings, I said yes. It then booted perfectly, however after shutting it down and turning it back on, the mobo beeped but it locked up on code 00 (which has no label in the manual). It was a black screen with a blinking white line in the upper left. I powered down the computer, turned it back on, and it locked up at 78 AGAIN. After shutting it off a 3rd time and turning it back on, it posted perfectly and now i'm posting here.

EDIT: Not sure if it matters but I used the jumpers.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

What memory sticks are you using? 3 sticks or 2?
Try installing one stick only and see if it still fails the first post.

The GS is ok but for the money the other models are much better, as in higher wattage, longer warranty and give you more head room for the future.

As for the Dell, Dell designs their own systems and then finds a manufacturer to build the components to their specs, the motherboard is most likely made by Foxconn to Dells specs, the case is a proprietary Dell design no other motherboard will fit it without making modifications, the heat sink is actually a big improvement over the stock Intel push and twist pins that tend to pop up when the PC is moved, they are made to work as a unit design to be cheap to assemble, cheap to repair under warranty, they are not designed to be upgraded a lot, but at least now the PSU(it's not a no name it's a Dell) connectors are standard the cable length is not but a retail supply can be fitted, The front panel wiring is another story.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
ROG Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008

My System

Yes i was about to say, the front I/O plate is going to be fun to wire :P
Closed Thread