Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Multiple problems that are probably motherboard related

This is a discussion on Multiple problems that are probably motherboard related within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sorry if the formatting is bad, I'm typing this on my phone. 3 days ago lightning struck right next to

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Sorry if the formatting is bad, I'm typing this on my phone.

3 days ago lightning struck right next to my house. Everything aside from the hardwired lights turned off and restarted. My modem got busted and my tv won't turn on, but that's another issue. When my computer started to turn on again right after the strike, but nothing would display on the monitors. After a couple minutes fidgeting with the wires, I found that the only signal was coming from my motherboard, and I could plug the computer into that and use it fine. I say fine, but 1, my graphics card doesn't seem to be working, as in windows doesn't recognize it, and the ports on it don't work, 2, I can't connect to my new modem with ethernet (nothing happens), 3, whenever I try to turn off the computer it starts itself back up almost the instant it goes dark. The only way i can get it to stay off is if I use the switch on the power supply. This seems like a problem with the motherboard, but I can't be sure.
My specs are:
AMD FX 8370 cpu
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard (i think that's what it is anyway, not sure)
EVGA GTX 750 Ti gpu
and some indescript 450w power supply (this was originally a prebuilt)

If someone could give me any input on what the problem is it would be much much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Hello and welcome to TSF.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think there's much you can repair after such a power surge. You can only replace what's been damaged, considering how extensive the damage could be, regardless of how "fine" the systems seems to be after the strike.

You could test the graphics card on another pc to rule out if its dead or not. The ethernet adapter is also most likely fried, especially since the modem that it was directly connected to got fried. You could get a PCI ethernet adapter at a reasonable price and try it, or a usb ethernet adapter if the usb ports are still functional. If the graphics card is functional on another pc, then there's a good chance the PCIe port it was connected to has been damaged, or some component of its circuitry on the motherboard. If that is the case, then you're looking at pretty much a motherboard replacement.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

Is it possible for the motherboard to automatically restart the computer when it turns off too? It seems like that's the only problem, unless that has to do with the power supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018, 09:50 PM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx_ View Post
Is it possible for the motherboard to automatically restart the computer when it turns off too? It seems like that's the only problem, unless that has to do with the power supply.
Yes it is possible, after all, the power on/off switch is the motherboard's function, but it could also be the power supply. The only way to know for sure is to test that power supply on another pc and test another power supply on your pc. If it doesn't automatically turn back on with another power supply, then you'll have narrowed it down to the old power supply. Automatic power on is also a function of the bios, so try resetting cmos by removing the coin battery for a few seconds and reinsert it. Do this while the system is powered down and disconnected from the mains power outlet. Sometimes a system is spooked into a malfunctioning state and all it takes is a memory reset.
Closed Thread