Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

MSI P6N-SLI Diamond Help

This is a discussion on MSI P6N-SLI Diamond Help within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, I am really having an issue with this new comp I am putting together. Here is the stats

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #1

Hello all, I am really having an issue with this new comp I am putting together. Here is the stats to get a feel for what I have in it.

The P6N mobo has the latest upgraded bios v1.1 installed and running.

*Black Lian Li PC-65B Case
*Crucial Ballistic Led Ram PC-8500(1066) 2x1GB CL5-5-5-15 in Duel Channel
*Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4
*Seagate 300 GB SATA 3.0
*750 Watt PC Power & Cooling Power Supply Silencer
*MSI 6800GT PCI-E x16(in Top PCI-X x16 slot)
*2-SATA DVD-RW drives.

The issue I am having is I am not tosure on these Bios settings. Out of all the computers I have built I haven't seen any like these. I am not sure on a few of the Bios setting commands and their meaning. But, The computer itself starts up and sunns fantastic. The issue that I am having is when I go into FPS Games like even an old on like Star Wars Jedi Academy. The the FPS should be pinned and stay pinned at 90FPS but it will start there and then go up and down after that sometimes even hitting 14FPS. I know for sure that the video card is fine cause I put it back into a AMD gaming system I also have and there is no issues with that. I have tried the ram at the speed of 800 and the max of the Ram of 1066. The FSB of the mobo is set to 1066 cause that is what the intel is rated at. If there is any help out there it would be well appreciated like if I need to replace some componants or whatnot. If you need more info like on my settings in the Bios or which Bios settings I am not sure about then I can take a swreenie or whatever is needed. Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #2

You do have a very Out dated Video Card, Do you think that is the problem?
Old 08-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

have you tried benchmarking this video card in another system on the same game ?????

the rest of your system is a rocket compared to the video card ????

there is no way in hades the 6800GT will out run your cpu or ram >>>>> that aint happening

but; it could well be your video card cant keep pace with the game ??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #4

Yes, I have run that video card with another system and the game on that system and it works great pinned at 90FPS all day with any map i throw at it. The Vid card isn't that old. I wanted to test the system with it before running out and picking up two expensive ones to run SLI and something not work.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
I helped the forums.

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowsezy View Post
You do have a very Out dated Video Card, Do you think that is the problem?
I can't be that dated it's PCI-E. The core is a structure is dated but not the card itself.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

download and install the intel core 2 patch

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/936357
Old 08-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #7

I appreciate the attempt with that patch but there was no gain to it. It is weird it acts like if you forget to plug-in the vid cards aux power to the back of the vid and run the pc in a game. The FPS gradually flucuate. There is a section in the Bios that says something about "PCI-E Frequency adjustment" it defaults at 100 and goes in 1 increments. The other is the C5 to nvidia bus and it defaults at 400mhz and has a range every 200 like 200, 400, 600, 800, and 1000 tops it out. I have it at 400.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #8

Oh on a side note. You guys don't think it needs DX 10 even though the card wasn't designed with it but maybe the board is funny like that or it really need a newer DX 10 card
Old 08-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #9
I helped the forums.

My System

DX10 is native to Windows Vista only and has nothing to do with the motherboard itself. What version of Nvidia graphics drivers are you using?
Are you using the Nvidia SM bus drivers?
Old 08-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #10

tNo I didn't install or use the sm driver. and for the Display driver I have tried many from the original one from the disk, to one before the split the series and now I am running the latest as of last night. Oh and Update to the config is I am running the WD Raptor 74GB not the 300GB
Old 08-06-2007, 12:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlock138 View Post
I can't be that dated it's PCI-E. The core is a structure is dated but not the card itself.
I thought it was the other way round
Old 08-06-2007, 12:30 AM   #12
I helped the forums.

My System

The text below is copied from our Nvidia Driver Sticky. Give these drivers a try and make sure you have the latest motherboard drivers.

Currently, the best choice for drivers is the 84.21 version.

84.21 available here.
The 84.21's have proven to be extremely stable, and give the best performance of all the 80- and 90-series drivers currently available. If you are having problems with your NVIDIA graphics card(s), the first thing to do is make sure you aren't using a 90-series driver.

One thing to note, however, is that 90-series drivers are required for certain cards, including: 7950GX2, 7950GT, 7600GS AGP, and 7100 GS. For each of these, use the 94.24's. If you have an 8800 card, you must use the 97.XX's, as they are the only versions which support 8800's.

-----------------------------
Note on installing drivers

When installing video card drivers, it is very important that you follow the correct procedure, as outlined below. Incorrectly installed drivers will cause just as much trouble as faulty drivers.

1. Uninstall any video drivers you currently have, through Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.
2. Restart your system, and boot into VGA Mode (tap F8 while the system is starting, and select VGA Mode from the list).
3. Disable any antivirus programs you have.
4. Install the new drivers.
5. Restart your system again.

While not absolutely necessary, using a program such as Driver Cleaner when removing the old drivers is also a good idea.
Closed Thread