Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

MSI K8N SLi vs MSI K8N SLi x16

This is a discussion on MSI K8N SLi vs MSI K8N SLi x16 within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Well here is a question I cant seem to find a clear answer for. Two boards, nearly the exact same

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via MSN to jamie_Ridler

Well here is a question I cant seem to find a clear answer for.
Two boards, nearly the exact same thing:

MSI K8N SLi Platinum - nForce 4 SLi
MSI K8N SLi Diamond Plus - nForce 4 SLi x16 (Dont get confused with the K8N SLi Diamond, the PLUS makes the difference).

Now the only major differences are these:

The onboard sound on the Platinum is a Creative Soundblaster Live 24-bit, while on the Diamon Plus its a Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE. Not to much of a difference here though, they are more or less the same thing.

Main difference is the PCI-e pipelines. On the Platinum, as with almost all other SLi boards out there, its either run as a single PCI-e x16 or two PCI-e x8.
The Diamond Plus has the new nForce 4 SLi x16 chipset. This means insted of 2 PCI-e x8, its has two fully fledged PCI-e x16 sockets.

What I wanted to know was, will the Daimond give me a boost over the Platinum when running two Geforce 7800GTX cards? I know the Platinum board can give you around a 10-40% boost, depending on the game, when running two of these cards in SLi, but will the Diamonds extra pipelines improove the performance, or will it not make a difference?
I know for a fact, the Geforce 7800GTX isnt running at its full potential at PCI-e x8, but I cant find anything even remotely like a review or guide on this kind of thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

For the amount of times this page shows up in google searches, it hasnt done well for replys now...
I still havnt found a single site or any kind of review comparing the two types of motherboards. Plenty of nForce 4 SLi reviews, and plenty of nForce 4 SLi x16 reviews, but all on different PCs with different parts. No one is comparing the difference between the dual PCI-e 8s and duel PCI-e x16s...
Does it actually give SLi a boost, or is it just a new and usless fueature that wont be used for 2-3 more years?
Old 01-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
ole'

My System

it will give it a boost, but i dont no how much. probablyy noticible. not sure if u really need it though. if u have got $$$ and dont care about overkill, u could probably upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2006, 10:03 PM   #4

@ jamie Ridler
According to mad mod mike the x16 mobos don't give a huge performance increase yet as there are no games that take advantage of the additional bandwidth at this time...but it is possible in the future.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:41 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Please has it right from everything I've heard. Right now, there isn't anything that will fully support that kind of infrastructure. Now that the technology is a reality, however, the sky is the limit so more developers are probably going to find ways to utilize it. If ya got it, go for it ($$). But for now, the standard SLI will do just peachy! IMO of course.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
Decisions Decisions

IMO buying hardware that is cutting edge just released is too expensive to justify. Buy the time games or other applications are engineered and sold to the public the super dooper componets you just bought will be worth half what you paid for them !!!!

so therfore spending high end dollars to buy hardware that cant really be used is of questionable value???

I cant tell you this: I am eagerly looking forward for the release of the new 64bit Windows code named Vista; if that OS delivers on the hype currently surrounding it you will see a substantial improvement in computer speed and capability >>>> A true 64 bit platform will definetely rock and roll!! I would advice anyone considering spending over $1000.00 to hold off until they can get a real 64 bit system.

until then a regular SLI system is going to perform just about as fast and smooth as there is available.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
ole'

My System

vista =$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. it might be worth it, but ther is no point yet. xp 64 is cheaper, and close to as good. vista is made mostly for servers
Old 02-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Just an update...:

Even with one graphics card, this newer motherboard gave me a pretty decent boost.
Turns out the old one didnt actually support the Athlon 64 X2 I was using, while this new one does.

Oh and about the BIOS on this board, I knew the board was new, but didnt realise how new... For the fact I bought this less than a week after posting here, the BIOS is dated Dec 14th 2005. Dont matter really... it gives me the boost I wanted, and im sure it will do even better when I get that second graphics card :D
Closed Thread