Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

MSI/Corsair/Intel problems?

This is a discussion on MSI/Corsair/Intel problems? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. ok, those who might remember me a while back, I had many 925XE problems detecting my processor... I've fixed that

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 10:34 PM   #1

ok, those who might remember me a while back, I had many 925XE problems detecting my processor... I've fixed that by spending an hour on the phone w/ MSI tech peeps, and got myself a new board.

-With the new board installed and Win XP loaded, my proc seems to work like it should, but it can't seem to handle multiple tasks like I think it should. What I mean is (specificially), while watching a movie, downloading anything, or simply listening to music (occasionally), my computer is 'jumpy', meaning my mouse will not move smoothly, and things take a while to open. if you want other examples or analygies(sp), let me know.

-So, to try to fix this big problem (when you spend nearly $1000 on a new system, you expect it to work nicely), I've tried checking the voltage and speed of the CPU (intel 640 3.2GHz), and swaping out the ram (4x512mb) one at a time. None of this however, has seemed to do anything helpful.

-In addition to this, my computer takes roughly 75 seconds to boot, and this is with 2Gigs of RAM, a 3.2GHz Proc, and a fresh copy of Win XP SP2 on a freshly formatted HD (60gb Seagate) (only the windows updates, and basic mobo drivers are loaded, along w/ the NVidia driver).

--> Thanks to all who took the time to read, and try to help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2005, 04:40 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy
That is interesting. What does your task manager say when you open it while running these tasks. Is your hard disk being hammered? though since this is a new isntall the drive must be fairly compact and free from framentation. Perhaps an interrupt for one of your devices has gone haywire.

well what does the task manager say first.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:10 AM   #3

well, nothing looks out of the ordinary on the task manager, as far as what is demanding usage of memory and speed... the HT tech seems to be working just fine too... so I'm stumped once again.

HOWEVER, Right after I posted the first message, and I was shutting down, the computer was rather slow (more than right now at least...), and a box saying "ending the program" (I've seen this common window many times, but not like this...), but the program name was "should not see me" seriously... *** is that?

-anyway, here's a pic of my TM just in case you see something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 03:57 AM   #4

hello
it smells of spyware and or infections

Old 06-28-2005, 06:52 PM   #5

well, I'd say that an infection or spyware is about 99.9% impossible... when I'm not at my computer, it's off, and when I have been online, I've only gone to gmail.com, techsupportforums.com, and nvidia.com... everything else is done offline, and remember, it's a fresh install of everything, so nothing from my previous HDs yet... Also, I haven't loaded it up w/ AIM or crap like that yet... at the moment, only basic stuff like drivers and such. Any ideas on what else to try to stop the problem?

-BTW, how long does it take you guys to boot to the desktop? mine's about 140 seconds, but I think it shouldn't take that long...
Old 06-29-2005, 04:11 AM   #6

well that seems a little long, it really depends whats running at startup..run msconfig and see whats up.....definatly do some checks in regards to spy/virus....post back
Old 06-29-2005, 04:42 PM   #7

well, I have 8 items running in MSCONFIG startup area... all of which are there either from Windows, or stuff I loaded like drivers for my mouse/keyboard...

-as far as startup, spybot S&D, and Spyware Elim both say my system is clean... As for now, I'm not as concerned about the slow booting as I am compared to why my computer isn't responding quickly... Anything else you can think of?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:58 PM   #8

thats a quick machine you have there..should boot faster
is there anything in your bios that says "quick boot" or something of that nature?
if not
for the hell of it, pull 3 ram sticks out and fire it up with just 1.....just to see...
post back
Old 07-02-2005, 11:52 PM   #9

yeah, sorry it's been a few days (w/o a comp), but I tried that RAM thing... the computer won't boot normally... it just automatically restarts right before windows loads... so I think I'm going to buy some DDR2 ram and test that out on a fresh install on Win XP and return it if it doesn't help, and if it does, return it and return my corsair RAM... I'll post results after that...

-as for now... is there any sort of test program I can run to check the speeds of my RAM and all that crap?

-oh, almost forgot, Quick Boot is enabled... it's not that part that's slow... actually, it goes from Power ON to the Windows Loading screen in under 15 seconds usually... but spends over 90 seconds now starting windows... who knows.

- BTW, while listening to music today (off my HD), I was copying some files to my flash drive, and the music became SO slow, it was almost stuck in one spot... then it'd jump to about 5 seconds later in the song, then stall there for a few seconds, that's kinda what I'm talking about w/ the slow speeds and stuff. I'M SO DEPRESSED!

-any other ideas or suggestions?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #10

I just ran MemTest overnight... about 18 hours, and no errors were found using that... so, what else can I look at for my problems?

-if the ram supposedly isn't bad, the mobo is brand new and certified "working", and according to Intel "the new soc 775 chips just don't go bad..."

-what else can I do?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:40 AM   #11

hello
are you set up for a raid config?
and if you are, is it set right in your bios?
msi
Old 07-12-2005, 03:22 PM   #12

none of my HDs are set for RAID, but my bios is set to have the extra IDE hookups as regular IDE controllers... so the BIOS RAID function is disabled... (the MOBO is supposedly designed for 3 IDE or 1 IDE and 2 RAID slots...
Old 07-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #13

hi
do you know the voltage your leadtec draws? your msi is particular with the voltage on the cards.
and could you post your psu brand and capacity...hope its like 450-500w...
post back
Old 07-13-2005, 09:55 PM   #14

It's actually an Antec PSU... it's rated at 480 watt... it's a NeoPower 2... (very good reviews for a supply...) as far as my amps... +5V=38A +12V=33A +3.3V=30A -12V=1.0A +5Vsb=2.0A

-Another thing... I got it to boot fine w/ just one stick of ram... I also pulled out all non-essential HDs so I just had my single drive, my CD drive, and that's it... (not IT... but you get the idea...) still had the slow problems... but it took longer to boot, I'll say that...

-beyond that testing, I ran Aquamark 3.0 and got a score of 57,822. That's amazing considering my 3.0GHz w/ 1 GB ram only got a 25,000. So, it can handle that stuff fine... but like using the scroll wheel to move down a webpage... it jumps and isn't smooth at all! Any other ideas?
Old 07-14-2005, 05:55 AM   #15

good morning
would you do a good spyware/ virus scan with a couple different scans including spybot and housecall... and then use cleanup
after that, use the hyjackthis link and post the log in the security section, i am curious about the results of the log
post back
Closed Thread