Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Mouse stuttering/PC freezing

This is a discussion on Mouse stuttering/PC freezing within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I posted this to r/techsupport thinking that my SSD was failing, but a user asked me to post a

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I posted this to r/techsupport thinking that my SSD was failing, but a user asked me to post a CrystalDiskInfo log and subsequently said that my disks seem fine and that this issue is either CPU or RAM related. I've decided to follow up on this forum because you guys have helped me well in the past:

About a month ago my cursor started stuttering/lagging. It will happen daily and occurs sporadically. Sometimes it happens as soon as I start up the PC, other times after an hour or two. And it is intermittent. Once it starts, it will happen for just a couple of seconds, then it will go away for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes.

In addition, there was a particular incident a couple of weeks back where my cursor started lagging, then the song I was listening to started looping the same 1-second over and over. And after another minute or so, the cursor completely froze up. However, I was downloading a file at the time and the progress bar continued to progress even after the cursor froze up. But after another minute or so of watching to see what would happen, the progress bar stopped as well and the entire PC froze up. I had to do a hard shutdown.

I also want to point out that certain processes seem to be slow at times. For example: if I open a folder in File Explorer that contains large files, it will take File Explorer a couple of seconds to display the contents. I never noticed this issue in the past. Likewise, extracting archived zip/rar files will sometimes take much longer than typical. I guess there are always variables. It's just that it's something that's become obvious and more frequent now.

Here is the part list. I did have my processor OC'd to 3.8GHz @ 1.3V up until a couple of days ago. However, after setting everything back to stock, the cursor is still stuttering. I've also attached a new CrystalDiskInfo log from right before posting this thread, in case that is needed:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $99.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $30.99)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $79.70)
Memory: Kingston - FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For $101.99)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $49.99)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $48.99)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card (Purchased For $189.99)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $69.99)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $54.99)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - X2 GP-12 (White) 52.3 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $12.99)
Other: SilverStone All Black Sleeved 1-to-2 Sleeved PWM Fan Splitter Cable (CPF01) (Purchased For $4.39)
Total: $744.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-12 01:00 EDT-0400
Attached Files
File Type: txt log081118.txt (22.3 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2018, 06:57 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Feels like hard drive or memory but also could be power. Is the Psu new?
I would run Memtest86 and do at least 2 full tests there are 8-10 passes in each test.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Feels like hard drive or memory but also could be power. Is the Psu new?
I would run Memtest86 and do at least 2 full tests there are 8-10 passes in each test.
The entire PC was built with new parts, including the PSU, in January 2018. I just ran memtest86 with all tests selected and 8 passes. The default was set to 4 passes. There were 0 errors throughout the entire test. Is it necessary to run a second test? If so, I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

No I would say that is enough to test the ram.
How much free space is left on Ssd drive?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:27 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I'd go in this direction... CPU--Hard Drive--RAM

Even though the primary is a SSD, if it's accessing data over the HDD, and if the HDD is slow, it will cause the data read/write speeds to be restricted.. So were the songs on the SSD or HDD ?

Regarding CPU, when the lag starts happening, open the clock, does the second hand move when there is a lag ?

Also grab a few samples of the Task Manager, before, during and after the Incident, this will help us find any conflicting apps.

Use Resource monitor to capture the events for CPU, HDD and RAM...

Old 08-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
No I would say that is enough to test the ram.
How much free space is left on Ssd drive?
The SSD has 80.5GB free out of 111GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
I'd go in this direction... CPU--Hard Drive--RAM

Even though the primary is a SSD, if it's accessing data over the HDD, and if the HDD is slow, it will cause the data read/write speeds to be restricted.. So were the songs on the SSD or HDD ?

Regarding CPU, when the lag starts happening, open the clock, does the second hand move when there is a lag ?

Also grab a few samples of the Task Manager, before, during and after the Incident, this will help us find any conflicting apps.

Use Resource monitor to capture the events for CPU, HDD and RAM...
My music is kept on my HDD. I just opened the clock and it does seem that the clock is stopping whenever the mouse stutters. What is strange though is that the time on my PC is correct. Since this issue has been going on for a month, I would think that I would be at least a minute or two off by now. I was looking at the clock and after a specific stutter, the clock jumped ahead a second, as if to catch up. Is this possible?
Old 08-16-2018, 02:39 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Yes, so think of it this way... While the action was performed, for some reason it did not show the "refreshed screen" of the clock... Sounds like a resource bottleneck...

To test if the HDD is the reason for failure, go to Device Manager, disable the second Hard drive for a couple of days.. Let's see if the issue replicates, if not, then most likely the HDD performance is degraded..

At this point, going to Add/Remove programs and remove unwanted applications from the computer may not be a bad idea..

If there are some system/reg mechanic, driver updater or any such applications, they might need to be uninstalled... These apps can make the system crazy, so taking a good backup of all your files may not be a bad idea :)

Old 08-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
Yes, so think of it this way... While the action was performed, for some reason it did not show the "refreshed screen" of the clock... Sounds like a resource bottleneck...

To test if the HDD is the reason for failure, go to Device Manager, disable the second Hard drive for a couple of days.. Let's see if the issue replicates, if not, then most likely the HDD performance is degraded..

At this point, going to Add/Remove programs and remove unwanted applications from the computer may not be a bad idea..

If there are some system/reg mechanic, driver updater or any such applications, they might need to be uninstalled... These apps can make the system crazy, so taking a good backup of all your files may not be a bad idea :)
I apologize for the late response. I have some personal issues going on, so may PC trouble has taken a backseat. I did what you suggested and disabled my HDD that I store my music/videos/pics/etc on. I also disconnected my external HDD that I was using with File History and disabled Backblaze from startup processes, which I use to backup files as well.

I am still having the lagging/stuttering problem. I only have items enabled at startup: Realtek HD Audio Manager and Windows Defender notification icon. I also have only the programs that I absolutely need on my PC.

The lagging will occur even before I open any programs. I started moving my mouse around once my desktop showed up and within 30 seconds I was having the lagging start.

I have noticed that under the processes tab in Task Manager, I have a large amount of processes listed. But my CPU usage is only at ~5%. My Memory usage is listed around 15% at startup without any programs running. And with Chrome running I'm hovering around 23%
Old 09-03-2018, 04:26 AM   #9
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Those utilization results look good.. When the freeze occurs, is there anything that is logged in eventvwr ?

Start--run--eventvwr.msc and check under System and Application..

Look for errors, also look for repeated events logged for the same item..

Old 11-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hi tristar,

I greatly apologize for not responding. As I said earlier, I had some personal issues going on that were taking precedent. However, I realize that if I'm posting here for help, then I need to be present and engaged. So I promise I will do so moving forward.

Just minutes ago I had a bit of the cursor/clock lag. It was nothing major at all. I went into the Event Viewer as you instructed.

There were no errors for today under Windows Log > Application.

However, there are a handful of errors under Windows Log > System from today. But none of them were from any sooner than about three hours ago. All the errors listed the source as "DistributedCOM". I'm not sure what other information you may want regarding these errors, or if any additional info is even needed?

I've taken note of a few things that I want to point out:

1. I did a clean install of Windows 10 on my SSD a few days ago. The cursor/clock lag seemed to stop, but then it started up within one or two days. There was also one instance on the first day where my cursor froze while I was using Chrome, then when it came back, Chrome was in a small, windowed version rather than full screen. It was as if I had maybe moved the cursor to the title bar and double clicked it, but the monitor just wasn't showing the action.

2. The cursor/clock lag seems to be very sporadic. There will be days where it only happens minimally, then there will be days where it's happening so much and for so long (hours), that I just decide to shut down my computer and not use it for a while.

3. I do have a router next to my desk where my computer is located. It seems that sometimes the lag will correspond with when I hear router activity (it's a bit noisy, you can hear buzzing alot).

4. Around one month ago a new issue started happening. It happens any time that I view an iTunes album webpage in Chrome: As soon as I exit the page, by either closing Chrome, opening a site in the same tab, or closing the iTunes page tab (even if it's not the tab that is currently displaying), my monitor will go black for a moment and then it will come back, as if it's resetting itself. This problem does not happen when I try to recreate the issues with Microsoft Edge. So I am unsure if it may be hardware related or maybe Chrome-related. If it is Chrome-related, then I realize that it's not appropriate for this thread. But I am unsure of how to diagnose.
Closed Thread