Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Motherboard Question

This is a discussion on Motherboard Question within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, I was recently looking to just buy a new graphics card, but I realized my computer is a

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #1

Hey guys, I was recently looking to just buy a new graphics card, but I realized my computer is a little outdated.

It has:
-AGP slots
-1.5G ram
-X1300 Radeon video card
-AMD athlon 4400 I believe for the processor
-Win XP Pro. (think thats good though, heard vista sucks)

Now, as I see it everything uses PCI slots now, correct? Well that means I would have to upgrade at least my motherboard for PCI slots, as well as more room for memoy. The power supply is fine, think its at least over 500watts. Now, is my processor good for running games like COD4? Or does it need to be upgraded too?

Basically if you guys could provide me with some information on all this, and maybe link some suggestions for what to upgrade to from newegg.com, that would be awesome!

Also, I'm not exactly wanting to go out and spend $500 on all this, $300 might be my max for now until I get some more money, so if anything of mine that I have listed is still good to even run games like COD4 on medium or slightly higher settings, please say so. I know for sure though, that a new motherboard and graphics card is a must. The ram and processor Im not sure about though.

Also, I'm quite under-knowledgable about compatability and some things concerning upgrades, so if possible please make sure these things can all be installed together.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi, PCI is a old interface, its PCI-Express now.

Your cpu is good enough since it dual core, is it socket AM2?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #3

Not sure what socket AM2 is, like I said, I know alot about certain parts, but not everything, sadly processors and motherboards I know little to nothing about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Do you know what model your current motherboard model is?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #5

Not sure atm because its in the shop getting fixed. Not sure about some parts on the computer, it was my brothers, he was the one who built and ordered it from alienware.

Have to do some morning things, will check back in a hour or two. Thanks for the speedy replies so far though :D
Old 01-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

ok well until we know what socket your cpu is we cant recommend any motherboards ( We dont want the cpu not fitting do we ).

An easier route would be to buy :

HIS 2600pro 512MB AGP 4/8x for $119

Antec trio 550w for $74.99

This would let you run COD4 smoothly.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #7

Caught me right as I edited my last post. I was reading up on I believe that same card, and then I kept reading AGP is so outdated it wont really let me run games like COD4 above low settings, or is that false?

Also, what is the difference between AGP, PCI, and PCI-E?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #8

The difference is different ports card typs mostly speed. Agp is 64 bit faster then pci 32 bit PCI-E is 16X to 20X the new thing much faster up to 16X. Agp is the most is 8X.
The new boards mostly comes with PCI-E 1 to 4 slots on the board hope that helps
Old 01-31-2008, 10:24 AM   #9

well I just got some news from the computer repair store, my motherboard is dying, and quickly lol

So, it looks as if I will need a new mobo. Now, seeing as how my graphics card, and I guess sound card are all AGP, and upgrading to PCI or PCI-E is probably best, and I don't have alot to spend on upgrades, I need some suggestions from you guys.

Basically I'm looking for a new mobo, graphics card, and sound card that are good, yet not so costly. Also, not sure if my processor can be put on the new mobo or not, or do new mobo's come with a better processor?

Also, if I get a new mobo, is there anything else that has to be replaced with it?

I appreciate the help so far guys!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:24 AM   #10

Couldn't edit last post, but I was also wondering, if I get a new mobo from like newegg.com, does it come with a processor on it, or do I have to buy one? Also wondering if new mobo's come a with sound card built into them as well. Trying to find out all what I have to buy to have a working computer.

Also, I don't even know whats compatible and whats not with certain parts >.>
Old 02-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #11

hi How much do you want to spend and what parts you need. New egghead.com is good
that is where I got my parts. The vido card I like is nivaa I have the 8800gtx 756MB.
this might be better for you the EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 it is cheaper 299.99 for one. It looks like you want 2. here is the web site https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130082
I like amd I think the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Black - is good for the price 99.99 The main board I just got is MSI 790fx. This one might be better for you the MSI K9N4 SLI-F AM2 NVIDIA nForce 500 SLI. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130071
The board comes with the sound card you canup grade later. Make shure you get a good power supply like 600 to 1000 w. You can find combos deal at newegg.com
I hope this helps If you need more info let me know
Closed Thread