Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

motherboard help

This is a discussion on motherboard help within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi ALL can someone please help I picked up an Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 at car boot sale for $10 and

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi ALL can someone please help I picked up an Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 at car boot sale for $10 and have some problems finding where to connect the power button wire from front of pc case ?? I have added pic of board and showed the only to wires from psu I have added , when I power up motherboard a get a green light also. Thank you for taking the time to read very new to pc build
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	board.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	319698  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2018, 04:45 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Looking at the board, seems to be the lower right hand corner of the image, next to the SATA ports, look closely at those pins, you will find a Pwr_On or RST_On etc, which are the contact points for the Power button. +-

Old 04-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Like this:

PLED (Power LED) is green
PWRSW (Power SWitch) is red
RESET (Reset) is blue

The manual, where I got the above info is on the ASUS site here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4...lpDesk_Manual/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
Registered Member

thank you guys for your help that is where I was thinking my problem is the cables do match up ? as in pics below
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2977.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	319724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2978.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	319726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2979.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	319728  

Old 04-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Where does the other end of the "SYS" wire terminate?

Where does the other end of the "CPU" wire terminate?

Where does the other end of the "HDD" wire terminate?

The 4-pin Molex connector is power from the PSU (Power Supply Unit) to connect to a CD/DVD drive, older-style IDE Hard Drive, etc.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
Where does the other end of the "SYS" wire terminate?

Where does the other end of the "CPU" wire terminate?

Where does the other end of the "HDD" wire terminate?

The 4-pin Molex connector is power from the PSU (Power Supply Unit) to connect to a CD/DVD drive, older-style IDE Hard Drive, etc.
back of the digital panel on photo 1 The 4-pin Molex connector also runs from back of panel and not from PSU , thank you for taking the time to reply
Old 04-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythefish View Post
back of the digital panel on photo 1 The 4-pin Molex connector also runs from back of panel and not from PSU , thank you for taking the time to reply
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	319742   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	319744  
Old 04-18-2018, 11:51 PM   #8
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

From the looks of it, this looks like an older PSU/Cabinet, and the small ones you can connect based on SDR's manual, but still, you have SATA ports and you need a molex to SATA Power connector to connect SATA hard drives.

Chances are, you might have to replace your Power Supply.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:59 AM   #9
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Still can't tell where those three red/black 3-pin leads terminate. At first glance they appear to be fan power connectors.

Looks like the orange/white and possibly the blue/white are for the Power and Reset buttons on the front panel.

To see where those red/black, green/white, etc. wires go would require removing that white plastic cover?
Old 04-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

What is the original tower? Brand name make and model or custom build as this looks like fan wires and I would bet this is a brand name tower with a single proprietary plug for motherboard you will never figure out how to use.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #11
Registered Member

guys Thank you all very much i would say iam 80% there now , so where iam at now is cables in pic on my first post still dont know what there for ?? not to worry yet, found a lot cables behind digital panel on photo 1 and replaced all the 3 pin connectors for 2 pin and connected to motherboard so now have power and led lights as seeing in photo 1 . now my next step if you guys dont mind is i have 4 wires as seeing in photo 2 not got a clue what there for or do, i also found this black button type thing in photo3 ?? and last i hope is photo 4 usb connector 4 pin do these go on front 4 pins of the usb socket on motherboard ?? and dose it matter what socket of the 4 they go ??? Again thank you for your time and help guys
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	40
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	319766   Click image for larger version

Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	319768   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	319770  

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	319772  
Old 04-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #12
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Quote:

guys Thank you all very much i would say iam 80% there now ,
You're welcome. It's looking good.

Quote:

so where iam at now is cables in pic on my first post still dont know what there for ??
Hmmm... don't see any cables in your post #1. Just the motherboard. If you mean the first pic in your last post (post #11) I only see a lit-up led screen and buttons, but no cable.

Quote:

not to worry yet, found a lot cables behind digital panel on photo 1 and replaced all the 3 pin connectors for 2 pin and connected to motherboard so now have power and led lights as seeing in photo 1 .
Looking good.

Quote:

now my next step if you guys dont mind is i have 4 wires as seeing in photo 2 not got a clue what there for or do,
The "HDD" with the green/white wires is for a little LED to connect to the Hard Disk Drive so that every time it is accessed the little LED blinks.

"CPU" is an abbreviation for Central Processing Unit (like an Intel Core i5 or whatever), and the "SYS" stands for SYStem. Because their wires are also green/white would make me think they might also lead to a couple of LEDs somewhere.

Quote:

i also found this black button type thing in photo3 ??
Looks like a rubber bumper. Maybe to keep something from rubbing/rattling? If it's wired and on the bottom, maybe it's a tip-over cuttoff switch, like you would find on a little space heater?

Quote:

and last i hope is photo 4 usb connector 4 pin do these go on front 4 pins of the usb socket on motherboard ?? and dose it matter what socket of the 4 they go ??? Again thank you for your time and help guys

Yes, those two 4-pin connectors, labeled:
GND (Black)
DATA+ (Green)
DATA- (White)
VCC (Red)
are for USB ports. The Red (VCC) wire is 5 Volts DC, black is ground (GND) and the green (DATA+) and white (DATA-) are the two wires that transfer the USB data.

The other single wire there labeled SHIELD is a connection to the metal shield that surrounds the USB wires. It needs to be connected tightly to the surrounding metal computer case. (It acts as a shield, an extension to a Faraday cage to help ward off interference).

And no, it wouldn't really matter which USB connector you plug into which set of USB pins on the motherboard. I usually label mine though (1,2,3,etc). so I know which one leads to each USB port on my computer case ... simply to make it easier to trace each one down down later.

When you get here all done, post a couple of pics? Looks like fun!
Old 04-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
You're welcome. It's looking good.

Hmmm... don't see any cables in your post #1. Just the motherboard. If you mean the first pic in your last post (post #11) I only see a lit-up led screen and buttons, but no cable.

Looking good.

The "HDD" with the green/white wires is for a little LED to connect to the Hard Disk Drive so that every time it is accessed the little LED blinks.

"CPU" is an abbreviation for Central Processing Unit (like an Intel Core i5 or whatever), and the "SYS" stands for SYStem. Because their wires are also green/white would make me think they might also lead to a couple of LEDs somewhere.

Looks like a rubber bumper. Maybe to keep something from rubbing/rattling? If it's wired and on the bottom, maybe it's a tip-over cuttoff switch, like you would find on a little space heater?

Yes, those two 4-pin connectors, labeled:
GND (Black)
DATA+ (Green)
DATA- (White)
VCC (Red)
are for USB ports. The Red (VCC) wire is 5 Volts DC, black is ground (GND) and the green (DATA+) and white (DATA-) are the two wires that transfer the USB data.

The other single wire there labeled SHIELD is a connection to the metal shield that surrounds the USB wires. It needs to be connected tightly to the surrounding metal computer case. (It acts as a shield, an extension to a Faraday cage to help ward off interference).

And no, it wouldn't really matter which USB connector you plug into which set of USB pins on the motherboard. I usually label mine though (1,2,3,etc). so I know which one leads to each USB port on my computer case ... simply to make it easier to trace each one down down later.

When you get here all done, post a couple of pics? Looks like fun!
1 The "HDD" with the green/white wires is for a little LED to connect to the Hard Disk Drive so that every time it is accessed the little LED blinks.

"CPU" is an abbreviation for Central Processing Unit (like an Intel Core i5 or whatever), and the "SYS" stands for SYStem. Because their wires are also green/white would make me think they might also lead to a couple of LEDs somewher.[/QUOTE]

2 These wire come from LED PANEL and just end there with no connectors at all just in a tube (iam thinking i dont need these ???) or do i ?

Looks like a rubber bumper. Maybe to keep something from rubbing/rattling? If it's wired and on the bottom, maybe it's a tip-over cuttoff switch, like you would find on a little space heater?[/QUOTE]

yes this has 2 wires 1 green and 1 white , i was thinking it could be to monitor the heat in pc case but i could be wrong , just cant work out the + on the top

Once again thank you for your time
Old 04-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #14
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Do the CPU and SYS wires go to LCD screens that display something like the MHz/GHz speed for CPU and the other possibly SYStem temperature? <shrug> Who made the case? Does it have a model number?

The clear "tubes" are to keep the metal plug-in connectors from shorting against something else.

A "+" usually means positive, and "-" negative. As in positive and negative in DC (direct current) such as in a battery.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #15
Registered Member

thank you all for your time and help,i am about 98% there now a few small probs with sound but will work that out when i fine some time. not bad for a 50 pc i think , one thing i need to do is find something to go into the 3.5 slot in photo 4 anyone got any ideas ???
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	23
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	320222   Click image for larger version

Views:	29
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	320224   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	320226  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	320228  
Old 05-28-2018, 07:15 AM   #16
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Looking good.

USB 3.0 card reader for a 3-1/2" drive bay? https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb....0+card+reader

SSD in a 3-1/2" adapter? (Youi'd still need some kind of cover plate though).
Closed Thread