Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Motherboard fried?

This is a discussion on Motherboard fried? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, as always I appreciate your help and the things you do here. Okay, my issue is as follows.

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:40 AM   #1

Hey guys, as always I appreciate your help and the things you do here.

Okay, my issue is as follows.

Last night my computer failed to shut down, after leaving it for 5 minutes and it was still running but displaying nothing on screen I decided to pull the plug, not thinking about the after effects.

I turned it on this morning, all lights showed up except keyboard lights and mouse lights, since I have been using a TV for my monitor through HDMI I have not been able to see the BIOS, I assumed it was hanging or something (Of course I dont know this because I can't see the bios), so i restarted it, the exact same thing again. After googling around for similar errors I followed up on two possible solutions.

~Replace the CMOS battery to reboot the BIOS
~Try a different power supply

After doing both of those and getting no further I plugged in a different monitor(A monitor this time) and still nothing displayed, I did unplug the previous HDMI monitor through this process.

My first personal view would be the Motherboard, which is the last thing I wish to replace, if anybody has any ideas I would really appreciate the help.

Again I love what you guys do here.

~Warren

PS: I really don't have much money to spend, around 15, if need be I can borrow some off my parents.

PS-2: My PC specifications may be of help.

Intel Q6600
ASRock Penryn
500gb + 160gb SATA hard drives
8600gt Graphics Card
A 800w PSU by a make which name escapes me, I remember it being a 70 one from Maplins with a blue light in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Hi
Do you hear any beep codes?
1 beep is OK..

If you hear no beeps, try removing all memory modules and try again-if the system does not complain.....

Until you hear the OK Beep, the PSU does an internal check, then notifies the chipset (PowerGOOD), then the chipset notifies the CPU that starts reading from the Jump Address (FFFF0h) to start the boot process.

You ruled out PSU, so try the CPU (VERY common in Noteboks, actually). If still nothing happens, you can point the finger to the Mainboard.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Emeritus

Remove the side cover and look at the Power Supply. There should be a label with the Brand name and power specs.
When booting, tap the Delete key continually to attempt to access the Bios.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #4

Thank you so much I will try it immeadietly.

It is an iCute, and to my surprise only a 700w not an 800w. Also next to the 700w it says "(Peak)"

I tried your suggestion regarding the delete key, but to no success. Before, despite not being able to see anything on my TV, I never used to have the "no signal" sign, but now I do, before I used to just have a blue screen, it was like the TV was recieving the image but coudnt interpret it? So instead it displayed a blue screen.

Thank you so much.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeKS View Post
Hi
Do you hear any beep codes?
1 beep is OK..

If you hear no beeps, try removing all memory modules and try again-if the system does not complain.....

Until you hear the OK Beep, the PSU does an internal check, then notifies the chipset (PowerGOOD), then the chipset notifies the CPU that starts reading from the Jump Address (FFFF0h) to start the boot process.

You ruled out PSU, so try the CPU (VERY common in Noteboks, actually). If still nothing happens, you can point the finger to the Mainboard.
I don't really want to try and replace the CPU with a temporary one, I'm not exactly a fully equipped techy, and I only have a pentium II to try in it.

Regarding the beeps, it beeps once as if it was turning on normally, everything really does sound and look like it's turning on normally except I get no lights on mouse or keyboard or display on the monitor, it's as if it is hanging in BIOS mode.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:34 AM   #6

Bump, sorry.

I just need to find out what part to buy so I can get it fixed ASAP.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #7

I'm really sorry to blag on this, but I develop for a community and I desperately need my computer up and running.

Please, what part do I need?
Old 06-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Try only 1 stick of ram and see if that helps.

Are you certain you got that CPU/Heatsink snapped down and tight? (so it won't move)

Did you remember to plug in the +12 molex from the power supply?

Are you certain all wires were put back correctly? Check them!

Clear the CMOS using the method below instead of just the battery:

Clearing The CMOS

Clearing RTC (Real Time Clock) RAM:

• Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.

• Hit the ON button (power button) on the case to remove any residual power.

• Remove the onboard motherboard battery.

• Move the Jumper Cap from pins 1 & 2 (default) to pins 2 & 3. Keep the cap on pins 2 & 3 for ten seconds, then move the cap back to pins 1 & 2.

• Reinstall the Battery.

• Plug in the power cord and turn on the computer.

• Hold down the DEL key and enter the bios setup menu to re-enter data.
Notes: Some motherboards use different key combinations to enter the bios setup menu.

There are also some motherboards that you can simply push a button to achieve the same as moving the jumper from pins 1 & 2 to pins 2 & 3 and then moving the jumper back.

In addition, there are some boards that you simply use a screwdriver to short across the two jumper pins (no jumper), but this serves the same a removing the jumper and replacing it to adjacent pins.

If all else fails, then bench test it: (might try some of these steps in the case first)

Bench Test Your System
Old 06-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #9

I'v got to go to school right now, I will try as soon as I get back.

I appreciate the vivid answer, it's opened up a lot of possibilitys as to what this may be.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #10

I love you guys!!

I'm definately going to donate to you guys, youve saved my *** so many times to recievevnothing in return, I was about to spend £90 on a new graphics card.

The problem was with one stick of RAM.

Again I love you all, thank you so much for your help. I will definately reccomen you to everyone.

Thanks again, Warren.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

We are happy you are up and running. Enjoy your rig and save that money...won't be long, you can build a new one if you keep saving money by fixing them here on the forum. See you around and enjoy your time with us.
Closed Thread