Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Motherboard Failure

This is a discussion on Motherboard Failure within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Azza P4X4-ALH motherboard which is 3 years old and recently "died" on me. The problems started when

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 03:27 AM   #1

I have a Azza P4X4-ALH motherboard which is 3 years old and recently "died" on me. The problems started when at irregular intervals my pc would freeze and on being reset my harddrive would not be detected. Only after a complete power off would I have been able to get into Windows again. This became more frequent until yesterday my PC wouldn't even boot up, but just display a black screen and sound a long continuous beep. When I tried again this morning even the beep was gone and my monitor kept displaying "No Signal".

I removed EVERYTHING except a single slot of RAM and replaced my AGP graphics card with a different one, but it didn't cause any change. Obviously the problem is with either the CPU or motherboard, but most likely the motherboard. Before replacing either, is there any tests I can do or things I can try? I've already tried the reset jumper and I doubt it is the CMOS battery.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2006, 03:40 AM   #2

do you have a spare power supply to try before replacing any other parts?
Old 01-16-2006, 04:59 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I think from memory one long beep is video, maybe your video card has thrown in the towel, I will see if I can find my beep codes just incase it is ram not video

::as an after thought type question , do your fans ect power up and spin ?

EDIT:: It is late here and I am going to bed so I didn't look up what bios you have but found this

The only AwardBIOS beep code indicates that a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information. This beep code consists of a single long beep followed by two short beeps. Any other beeps are probably a RAM (Random Access Memory) problems.

this is for an AMI bios

1 beep Refresh failure
- try reseating the memory, if the error still occurs, replace the memory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2006, 06:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdat
do you have a spare power supply to try before replacing any other parts?
Ermm, no, but I can try and organize one if you guys think it's likely a problem with the power supply. The current supply is definitely providing power as fans are spinning and my agp card's lights are on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackduck30
I think from memory one long beep is video, maybe your video card has thrown in the towel, I will see if I can find my beep codes just incase it is ram not video

::as an after thought type question , do your fans ect power up and spin ?
I tried replacing the video card which didn't make a difference, so we can rule that one out. My fans do power up and as soon as I turn on the PC the three keyboard lights turn on then off as usual and from there on there's no response (or keyboard lights).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackduck30
1 beep Refresh failure
- try reseating the memory, if the error still occurs, replace the memory
I originally had 2x 512 MB ddr's in, so I tried removing either which didn't make a difference. What are the odds that both became defective at the same time? I also read on https://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm
that a "repeating high/low(?)" beep could signify a problem with the CPU?

So basically, here's all parts that could cause the problem:
- Motherboard (seems most likely to me)
- CPU (no idea how to test this without a different motherboard, doesn't really explain the hdd not being detected)
- Memory (unlikely because of using two sticks, also doesn't explain hdd not being detected)
- Power Supply (could cut off power to hdd, but appears to be working?)

Also, I'm not getting the POST beep anymore, at all.

Thanks again, any and all help is appreciated.
Closed Thread