Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Motherboard Ethernet not working

This is a discussion on Motherboard Ethernet not working within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently built a PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kTntgw And as the title says the ethernet port built into my motherboard isn't working.

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

I recently built a PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kTntgw
And as the title says the ethernet port built into my motherboard isn't working.
We just installed the ethernet in the wall but I've tested the outlet on my laptop and it works fine, I've also swapped cat cables. I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers many times, I've reset my network, and smartlan is not a setting in my bios. It just says no ethernet and says there is nothing plugged in/something is broken but it was working fine on the very computer earlier as I was using the internet but now it says there isn't even anything plugged in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

I don't touch the cord, port, anything and it occasionally works for a couple hours at a time and then stops working for a seemingly random period of time. Occasionally while it is in a period of not working it will say it's connected to an unidentified network before going back to saying there is nothing connected.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Are you running the latest MSI BIOS for the motherboard? If not, I would try to update it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

If it's new, I'd probably think it would be a user related issue.

If it's a new motherboard, chances are that the port is a little tight and you need to apply a little bit of pressure (be careful here) and push the cable in and let it click.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
If it's new, I'd probably think it would be a user related issue.

If it's a new motherboard, chances are that the port is a little tight and you need to apply a little bit of pressure (be careful here) and push the cable in and let it click.
I have two ethernet cables one I made myself and one that I bought. The one I bought clicks into the port and the wall plate but doesn't seem to work at all on my desktop but works better than the one I made on my laptop. When I plug the one I made into the desktop it sometimes works sometimes doesn't but doesn't ever click, I've tried a lot to get it to go in further but it is as far as it will go.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Are you running the latest MSI BIOS for the motherboard? If not, I would try to update it.
I'm two versions behind on the BIOS but MSI's website says they don't recommend updating the BIOS unless necessary and the two versions made after mine don't add a lot:

- Update RST 16.0
- Improve memory compatibility.
- Improve USB mouse compatibility.
- Update Intel Micro code for security vulnerabilities
- Improve cpu over voltage when cpu overclocking

Do you still think that this could be the cause of the issue?
Old 05-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
Registered Member

I've purchased a Ethernet-USB adapter and it when I use it I get "no valid ip address".
I've turned off quick start, installed new drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled the device, used command prompt to refresh network stuff, ensured DHCP is enabled, the device is set to automatically assign an IP, and when it does rarely work, it's less than 1/9th the speed of my motherboard's ethernet port.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:57 PM   #8
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

The system is new, yes? If so, I would at least try the BIOS update and it does not work then I would RMA the motherboard.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:51 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I would not flash the bios since nothing there states any new bios addresses your issue and if you "brick"the board you own it that way and cannot get an easy rma. I think you should return the board as it sounds as if the board is the issue though you might spend half the price returning it on freight as you would buying another adapter like this one?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16833106033
Personally I seldom use the ethernet adapters built into motherboards because over the years I have had issues with them and I would much rather have Intel Nic cards anyway.

I currently have a Gen 4 setup with a 4790K i7 cpu and an MSI Pc Mate board that has given me exceptional service except two years out the Nic card died. So I put in a pci-e Intel card. A year ago that card stopped working and I put the cable back into the board Nic and it has worked ever since....at this point I don't ask any questions as this unit is the best one I have ever had!

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread