Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Motherboard/CPU meltdown?

This is a discussion on Motherboard/CPU meltdown? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, Currently I'm having issues booting my computer at all. No OS/bios/monitor display/beeps. Here are some pertinent facts: -

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #1

Hi all,

Currently I'm having issues booting my computer at all. No OS/bios/monitor display/beeps.

Here are some pertinent facts:
- Computer worked fine until I shutdown sometime in the evening. I attempted to turn on the next morning, nothing happened (No os/bios/display).

- Took apart the computer, checked all connections/wires...Still no luck.

- Around 6 hours later I turn the power on, without having made any changes, and the computer fully boots. I attempt to standby, instead of shutdown, and back to square one (no os/bios/display).

- Fiddling around with it today, I notice the fan on the PSU has failed, and at times when I power on, the keyboard or mouse will not have power. Naturally, I believe it to be a PSU problem (was running an Antec 500W - not sure what model). I replace said PSU with a BFG 650W. No dice, still no OS/bios/display.

- I do notice that the chip fan on the Mobo does not work anymore. Also, upon replacing the PSU I ensured all power connects were in place (24 pin + 4 pin).

Any advice?

I'll post my computer's specs shortly, but I've noticed I've created quite the wall of text.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #2

PC specs:

- AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2.2Ghz
- GeIL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit
- Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
- EVGA 256-P2-N516 GeForce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - OEM (Just one, not running SLI)
- ASUS A8N-SLI 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
- Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail (Replaced with BFG 650W today)

Thanks for your guys input/time btw!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #3

Sounds Kentucky Fried to me. Best case scenario is replace the CPU fan and hope there's no permanent damage to the processor. CPU fans for common socket sets can be found at a lot of brick and mortar stores (Office Depot, Best Buy, etc.) if you're the impatient type like me. You're probably looking at either the cpu, motherboard, or both being damaged, as you've already concluded.

EDIT: Cross-posted with you. One nice thing in your case is Asus has a very nice RMA policy, and you should be able to get your A8N-SLI replaced for free. So you're looking at the cost of a new socket 939 processor and fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

replace the chipset fan
reset the cmos
when you turn it on do the fans run as normal and no beeps or screen or nothing at all
if you take the ram out do you get the bios error beeps that it is missing

Old 04-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #5

Just for clarity, when you say chip fan, do you mean the fan on the cpu, or the
motherboards chipset?

If you are talking about cpu, then what bluesoul said applies here.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #6

Well the CPU fan hasn't stopped, just the motherboard fan (sits near the SLI slots) has stopped working. Which leads me to believe the board is somehow damaged.

I didn't want to take apart the CPU fan/heatsink just yet to check if there was damage to the chip, since I personally don't like messing around there. Though I guess I probably will have to.

Also, to clarify, all Fans (Case and Vid card fans - with the exception of the dead chipset fan on the motherboard) do work upon turning on power. Also, the motherboard's LED shows green (to show power is actually being received).

EDIT: Just saw the -quick- responses (that's awesome!). Going to reset the CMOS and take out the RAM.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #7

Oh, I thought you meant the CPU fan, not the chipset fan. I'd RMA that bad boy, you'll have to remove your CPU anyway.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #8

Ok, well it might not be damaged, as those chips can handle very high temps.

But high temps can make it run like crap though. So I would try to replace the fan first.

You can find generic fans like that all over the place for less than $10.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #9

Dai - I reset the CMOS (only by changing the jumper positions, the manual didn't mentioning taking out the battery as I see commonly). I also powered without any RAM installed (or vid card, heh), but no warning beeps at all (all fans work).

Just to be sure, are there any sort of power connectors to enable onboard sound (the warning beeps)?

bluesoul - Looks like I'll be RMA'ing it, but I don't want to give up -just- yet... :\
Old 04-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

turn the computer off
remove the power lead from the back
take the side off
remove the cmos battery
move the cmos jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pin 2 and 3 and the back to pins 1 and 2
replace the battery
put the side on
replug in the power lead
boot the computer
there is usually a small speaker on the m/board these days or plugged onto the m/board with the wires from the front reset and power button
if there is no speaker it throws a spanner in the works

Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manduin View Post
bluesoul - Looks like I'll be RMA'ing it, but I don't want to give up -just- yet... :\
I hear ya. But I know when my time's worth more than messing with a product I can get replaced. You just received a pretty exhaustive test to try so maybe that'll help you out.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #12

Okay, I just reset the CMOS by taking out the battery + the jumper configs...no dice.

Started computer with no ram/1 stick of ram, w/ and w/o video card, and no beeps/display/anything. Just fans running.

Sigh...
Old 04-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #13
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

then it looks like rma

Old 04-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #14
I helped the forums.

My System

Chipset fan failure on the early A8N board is very common problem. ASUS will take care of it, but thier custom service is horrible of late. You'll likely be spending alot of time on the phone before you are done with the RMA.

Good luck and let know how it goes.
Closed Thread