Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Mobo USB Port Malfunction

This is a discussion on Mobo USB Port Malfunction within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. One of the 3.0 usb port has gone bad. In my sig you will see the specs for the gigabyte

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Question

One of the 3.0 usb port has gone bad. In my sig you will see the specs for the gigabyte rig, which is the one with the problem. I had a hub with power hook up to it, and I was having problems with devices that were plugged in to it. I tried to plug the hub into a good port, but not all the devices plug in are showing up. I needed more hubs so I hook another 4 hub with power to the first hub. They are not the greatest hubs either. Also I am hearing the sound when the usb device is plugged and unplugged from time to time. Is there anything that can be done to correct this problem?

Thank you for reading my post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Disconnect everything from the "faulty" port and see if the problem continues. If it stops, try connecting a single device directly to the port (ie: no hubs) and see what happens. If the problem stops, then it's a hub issue. If the problem continues, the port is faulty. You can try manually reinstalling or updating the USB 3 drivers. Otherwise, stop using the port. If you still need more ports, consider installing a USB controller card if you have any available slots on the motherboard. You can get USB 2 and USB 3 cards with generally 4 ports.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Thanks for your input ... it is definitely the USB port. I tried connecting my mouse to that port and it would not work. I will try to reinstall the drivers for the USB ports 3.0. If that doesn't work I will stop using that port. I ordered a better hub with power. I hope that will do the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
Thanks for your input ... it is definitely the USB port. I tried connecting my mouse to that port and it would not work. I will try to reinstall the drivers for the USB ports 3.0. If that doesn't work I will stop using that port. I ordered a better hub with power. I hope that will do the job.
A better hub won't magically repair the faulty port. However, if the new hub will be used with one of the remaining good ports, then carry on.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:44 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Question

Yes, a better hub in a working port is the plan. I went to gigabyte website where my board is and there is no driver for the USB 3.0 listed ... is it possible there is no driver?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:42 PM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Yes, a better hub in a working port is the plan. I went to gigabyte website where my board is and there is no driver for the USB 3.0 listed ... is it possible there is no driver?
Your board has no USB 3.0, only USB 2.0/1.1 with 4 ports at the rear (I/O panel). Windows 7 has native drivers for USB 2.0, so additional drivers aren't needed. If it doesn't, which is rare, then chipset drivers will include them. The specs for your board are here https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...T-S2-rev-13#sp where did you get the information that it has USB 3.0?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Oh wow ... I thought it had 3.0 ... I have so many different computers I got confused. The better hub should still work even though it is 3.0 ... Can I install 3.0 usb pci card?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Oh wow ... I thought it had 3.0 ... I have so many different computers I got confused. The better hub should still work even though it is 3.0 ... Can I install 3.0 usb pci card?
It should and yes you can.
Closed Thread