Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Mobo upgrade help please

This is a discussion on Mobo upgrade help please within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi , I'm trying to upgrade my old Emachines E4076 and need some help with an upgrade for the mobo

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #1

Hi ,
I'm trying to upgrade my old Emachines E4076 and need some help with an upgrade for the mobo .
Presently it has -
Intel Desktop Board D102GGC2
Pentium 4 CPU
Ati Radion Xpress 200 (+PCI slot)
3.06 Ghz (533mhz fsb)
2 x 1gb DDR2 (533)
120 GB HDD Seagate Barracuda St3120213A

The machine is my previous system but developed a fault - i have upgraded to a Corsair 400w PSU and am now looking into replacing the mobo which i think is where the fault lies .
Anyway i think it will be hard to find a direct replacement for the original mobo in the UK but can anyone please help with suggestions for a compatible upgrade that might allow some room for expansion ?
Make/model etc ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

what is the fault that is occuring? and why not just get a decent case and motherboard?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
what is the fault that is occuring? and why not just get a decent case and motherboard?
Thanks for your reply - there's no problem with the case (i presume you are referring to getting a bigger case = bigger mobo ?) i know the original mobo is limited and as i think that the fault lies there i wanted some help with suggestions of a compatible mobo to upgrade (instead of a direct replacement which i probably wouldn't find in the UK anyway ?)
What's concerning me is finding an upgrade mobo that is compatible- i know it's ATX (micro?) but will i find anything that i can still use the (newish) Ddr2 533 RAM sticks ?

As to the fault -
The machine is clearly not posting at startup and mostly takes 2-3 attempts before getting to desktop .
When you turn on the startup sequence is this -

Black screen with Emachines logo (Pentium4 sign bottom left) and lower right corner "Bios Setting F2
Boot Menu f10 "
Then another black screen with "F11 to start recovery " in top left corner .
Then another black screen (as if trying to load something ?)
followed by the " Welcome/Desktop page - if it manages to get that far in the sequence , mostly it black screens and begins the process again .

Internally all the fans /lights etc seem to be working .
Things i have done -
1 tested HDD by a Diskchk
2 taken out both RAM sticks and switched on -mobo gave out a "beep" , then tried both sticks of RAM one at a time .
Symptoms remain the same .
3 Re-installed Windows XP using repair disk that came with the system , so basically everything is now back to factory settings but still same result .
4 Took out the cmos battery for a short while and refitted .
If the machine does manage to start and runs normally for a short while (1/2 hr if lucky ) it crashes and goes back to restart as described above .

As stated there is no post at startup -only as described - and also no beep . This is not normal right ?

Anyway PSU is crappy (bestec) so i bought a replacement (Corsair) but have not fitted yet as to be honest i reckon it must be the mobo and i don't want to damage the new PSU .
Any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
Emeritus

When E-machine PSU's fail , they commonly take the Mobo and/or CPU with them.

This Asus Mobo is compatible with P4 CPU, 533 RAM and is mATX.
ASUS P5QPL-AM $64.99 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131394

Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Enthusiast

My System

I agree with Tyree, I have had four emachines to look at latley because of a similar issue and all issues related to the PSU damaging the motherboard.

Have a look on your motherboard can you see any burn marks?

Have a look at the capacitors (small cylindrical pin like things near the cpu) do any of them look crushed or are leaking?

Can you smell what I can only decribe as burnt fish n chips with vinegar and paper when you press the on button.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
When E-machine PSU's fail , they commonly take the Mobo and/or CPU with them.

This Asus Mobo is compatible with P4 CPU, 533 RAM and is mATX.
ASUS P5QPL-AM $64.99 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131394
Hi ,
Thanks for the link that's a real help -the mobo looks a much better bet than the original in the emachine .
I thought it must be something like the mobo - confusingly i still get a "beep" from it when i tried it with no RAM (before trying the RAM one stick at a time) .
I read that usually indicates the mobo as ok but i guess not always so ?
As is obvious to you i am still learning about hardware - re mobo's , can you tell me if Asus is good make and does this model allow for any expansion/future upgrades if required ?
Also should i stick with the 533 RAM or is this limiting me and i should be better advised to move up to another mobo with higher RAM ?
I guess what i'm saying is DDr2 533 an outdated RAM version ?

Thanks for your help .
Old 08-27-2009, 06:10 AM   #7

Quote:
I agree with Tyree, I have had four emachines to look at latley because of a similar issue and all issues related to the PSU damaging the motherboard.

Have a look on your motherboard can you see any burn marks?

Have a look at the capacitors (small cylindrical pin like things near the cpu) do any of them look crushed or are leaking?

Can you smell what I can only decribe as burnt fish n chips with vinegar and paper when you press the on button.
Hi ,
Well i can't see any obvious burn marks and really not aware of any kind of smell as your describe . No leaking either but the only physical thing i noted is 2 ( i guess capacitors -small battery type things standing upright?)
have domed top whereas all the others are flat . They have like a "cross hairs" on top which shows up the slight bulge ?

Now you might say this is the cause ( and it might well be i don't know) but one other thing i can tell you both that i just found out is in the Bios . On the startup prompt i pressed F2 (for Bios) and found under "Hardware " the fan speeds and temp's -

Processor Fan Speed 1740 (this varies it can be 1680 or so)
Front Fan speed 0 ( there is no front fan)
Rear Fan speed 1680

Processor Temp 61c
Internal Temp 49/50c ( fluctuates between the two)
Remote Temp 48/49c (" " " )

V 12.0 11.844V
V 5.0 5.018V
V 3.3 3.349V
Vccp 1.356V

Even i reckon the temps seem high whatever the cause 'cos the fans are obviously going round .
Do these readings mean anything to either you or Tyree ?

And would this cause crashes and/or the PC to not post properly on startup - or is that purely down to a faulty mobo ?
Lastly - should i fit the new corsair PSU and see if that helps the problem or hold off as obviously i don't want to damage that because something else is the real fault ?

Thanks for both your help - i'd appreciate any further thoughts ?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #8
Emeritus

The "domed" tops on the caps is bulging and that means damaged.
61C is too high for the CPU.
Asus is a very good brand..........I wouldn't recommend anything that isn't.
If you get the new Mobo, and your budget permits, faster RAM would be a plus.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:44 AM   #9

Hi Tyree ,

Thanks for your reply , that's great i really appreciate your help and advice .
I'll be looking into the Asus model that you recommended .
Old 08-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
The "domed" tops on the caps is bulging and that means damaged.
61C is too high for the CPU.
Asus is a very good brand..........I wouldn't recommend anything that isn't.
If you get the new Mobo, and your budget permits, faster RAM would be a plus.
Hi ,
I really like the look of the Asus model you recommended but before i go ahead and order i wondered if you could just confirm something for me ?
The present system with the old mobo ran the following -

Pentium 4 CPU
2 x 1gb DDR2 (533)
120 GB HDD Seagate Barracuda St3120213A
DVD Writer Model TS-H652 (Toshiba/Samsung )

The HDD & DVD are both IDE connected - will they still be ok to fit into the Asus board , or will i have to get a Sata HDD ?
Also regarding the CPU heatsink/fan - the model i have is a TaiSol Intel LGA 775 (CET 5A63989B6) .
Are 775 mobo HSF fittings all the same and i can still use this model or will i need to find something compatible with the Asus board ?
Incidentally the Bios shows the CPU fan speed as between 1680-1740 rpm - do you think this is ok or showing a need for a new fan/heatsink ?
Old 08-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
Enthusiast

My System

The IDE drives will work but SATA is faster. Just remember that you will have to back up your data because if your putting the old drive on the new mobo you will probably have to wipe due to having to get rid of the old motherboard drivers and installing the new one.

All LGA775 HSF will fit all 775 mobos and that fan speed is ok nothing to worry about ther.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
Emeritus

If you're using XP, you "should" be able to do a XP "Repair Install" and keep all of your data.
https://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Old 08-31-2009, 08:25 AM   #13

Hi Guy's ,
Thanks for your help - i'm ok with a re-install of XP as i managed to get my files off the system and in fact one of the things i tried already was a reinstall using the original install/repair disk that came with the system .
I understand if the mobo is changed i will have to reinstall xp to wipe off the old driver info etc .

Thing is before i finally go ahead and order the Asus - can i ask your general advice with this issue , will this make a significant improvement to the system and is worth doing or would it be just as well to try find a direct replacement for the original Intel D102GGC2 board for this system ?
It would probably be easier (driver wise) with the same board but is the Intel an inferior /poor quality mobo or was i just unlucky it was brought down by the poor PSU ?( which i have now upgraded )
Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 AM   #14
Enthusiast

My System

You would be better off with the Asus motherboard but the choice is down to you in the end.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #15

Quote:
You would be better off with the Asus motherboard but the choice is down to you in the end.
Thanks GreenBrucelee ,

Yes i agree the Asus looks a better bet but i just found out a bit more on the components in my present system and it says in the CPU description
"Pentium 4 -524
3.06 GHZ ( 533 mhz FSB) - is this still ok with the Asus ? I'm a bit confused by the different speeds referred to and whether they are an issue with compatability - does "524 " refer to Mhz ?
Closed Thread