Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Mobo shuts down with new CPU installed

This is a discussion on Mobo shuts down with new CPU installed within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been running the ASUS A7N8X with a AMD 1.2 CPU and 512mb DDR for about 7mo now. I purchased

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #1

Angry

I've been running the ASUS A7N8X with a AMD 1.2 CPU and 512mb DDR for about 7mo now. I purchased a AMD Sempron 2400+ CPU yesterday. I installed it and on the post start it came in as a AMD Athalon XP. So I knew that I would have to get a BIOS update. I let Win XP load, then opened up control panel and selected System.

Win XP Shows that I installed a AMD Athalon XP 1500+. I clicked on a couple of programs to see the speed difference. Ya, there was a speed difference from my 1.2. Cool, so I thought. Next thing I know, the tower shutdown. So I restarted and checked the BIOS temp reading on the CPU. It was reading at 90c and jumped (very fast like) to 97c. So I shut it down before I would burn out my new CPU.

I jumped on to my second computer and went to ASUS.com for the BIOS update. Of which there was, for Sempron CPU's. I downloaded it and put it on floppy. Then went to my problem computer and started the AWDFLASH.exe and followed the install proccedure. The one thing that it didn't do was ask me to save the old BIOS.

After I updated the BIOS the CPU was reading correctly. Sweet, so I thought. After the same amount of time the bugger shutdown. So I went in to the BIOS to see the temp of the CPU. It now was at 79c and climbing. The fan was running at 3400 RPM to 3600 RPM, but the CPU temp was still climbing.

I've spent some time on the AMD Forum for help. Many suggestions that unfortunatly didn't work. So I put my old 1.2 CPU back in and re-adjusted everything back to the way it was when it was first installed, so I could at least tend to my paper work. So I thought, again. After ten min, it shutdown.

I left it off for a long while (about 3 to 5 hours) and then started it up and went in to the BIOS and checked the temp right away. It read 79c and up. Kinda makes you think it is the heatsink. Nope. Heatsink is installed correctly. Maybe the fan is not working? Nope. Fan is working just fine.

I started it up the this morning and the CPU temp read 82c and quickly going up. So, needless to say I'm at a loss.

All I can think of it is the mobo.

Any suggestion or ideas for something I may have over looked?

Canadian2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Did you apply new thermal paste ( recommend Arctic silver www.arcticsilver.com ) when you changed the CPU, if not this could account for your temp rise in both instances.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #3

Yes I did. I purchased the AMD Sempron 2400+ w/heatsink and fan retail box.

I tried my old hs fan because it was getting upto 7000 RPM, and there was no change in temp on the both of the CPU's.

That's why I think it may be the mobo.
Closed Thread