Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Mbr damaged

This is a discussion on Mbr damaged within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I desperatly need help fixing the mbr of my damaged external seagate hard drive I have tried every software imaginable

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

• I desperatly need help fixing the mbr of my damaged external seagate hard drive I have tried every software imaginable and can't afford to send it to data recovery company, i really need the music files on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

The MBR is for the C drive....it shouldn't be on an external drive at all. That said, you can try minitool partition partition wizard to fix the MBR. Or create a Linux distro on a usb and boot from that then access the external drive and move your files that way.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html
Old 02-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

But it is most external hard drives have them, and I have tried minitool doesn't work on it,have u used linux distro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmgj View Post
But it is most external hard drives have them, and I have tried minitool doesn't work on it,have u used linux distro
No they don't....it's put there by the OS. A new HDD is clean...I have a few HDD's for backups, Data, Photos and none of them have a MBR on them.

MBR = Master Boot Record.

"The Master Boot Record (MBR) is the information in the first sector of any hard disk or diskette that identifies how and where an operating system is located so that it can be boot (loaded) into the computer's main storage or random access memory."

reference link: What is Master Boot Record (MBR)? - Definition from WhatIs.com

Unless you used it to install windows are had it connected when you installed windows....You done something as it's moved. with Minitool partition wizard you can move the mbr back to the see c drive.

Can you post a screen shot of you disk management window, in full window mode, the complete screen.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:25 PM   #5
Registered Member

I have provided u with the attachment
Old 02-14-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
I have provided u with the attachment
What attachment?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #7
Registered Member

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.gif
Views:	118
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	318818  
Old 02-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

here is the correct capture of disk management
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture (2).JPG
Views:	10
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	318820  
Old 02-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #9
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Is the external drive connected in your corrected attachment?

What kind of PC is this....???

On your C drive, which has the MBR.....I see you have a 1000mb (1GB) recovery partiton. How did that happen?

The D drive is unknown as it doesn't have a driver letter assigned to it. You need to assign a drive letter to it and it should become allocated (usable)

What really concerns me is the size of each drive C is roughly 30gb and drive D is roughly 30gb and disk2 (unknown) is 2gb.

So, again what kind of PC is this...make/model.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:11 AM   #10
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
The MBR is for the C drive....it shouldn't be on an external drive at all...
No they don't....it's put there by the OS. A new HDD is clean...I have a few HDD's for backups, Data, Photos and none of them have a MBR on them.
ALL MBR disks have an MBR, whether external or otherwise. The MBR is located in the boot sector (first sector(1) of a disk), sometimes also referred to as the master boot sector. The MBR contains a partition table, master boot code and disk signature. The MBR is created when you (initialize and) partition a disk (as MBR). ALL external hard disks that I've worked with came already initialized, MBR-partitioned and formatted, sometimes even containing stuff like user guides, disk utility software and drivers, so YES, the external HDD should have an MBR if it was MBR-partitioned and YES, your backup, data, photos HDDs ALL have an MBR IF they were initialzed and partitioned as MBR disks, unless you erased the boot sector and converted the disks to GPT, then they no longer have an MBR. Internal HDDs on the other hand, often come clean, that is, uninitialized and unpartitioned, with ALL of their storage capacity being unallocated, until it's partitioned either as an MBR or GPT disk. If partitioned as an MBR disk, the disk WILL have an MBR written to its first sector. I hope this clears the confusion.

From the screenshots attached, it seems you have a 32GB eMMC or SSD (Disk 0) a 32GB SD card (Disk 1) and a 2TB external HDD (Disk 2), probably on an ultra-portable laptop (ultrabook). The MBR on your 2TB external HDD is definitely missing/damaged or the external hard drive is faulty. The sata-usb bridge could be defective (happens a lot). If you can pry open the casing and remove the HDD itself, you can attach it to another HDD enclosure or sata-usb adapter or caddy. Alternatively, you can connect it to a desktop PC's SATA port directly and see if it is recognized properly. Sometimes it's just a bad usb cable causing problems, so you could try swapping cables first. You should be able to get a spare cable and hdd enclosure quite cheaply.

Note:
The partition scheme on your system disk (Disk 0) doesn't look strange in any way. It complies with the scheme laid out here, so there's nothing to worry about there. I understand why bassfisher6522 would think it seems unusual though.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:32 AM   #11
Registered Member

I cannot open up the hard drive any other suggestions for fixing the master boot record?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:15 AM   #12
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
I cannot open up the hard drive any other suggestions for fixing the master boot record?
Let's try and scan the drive for lost partitions. If the usb cable, sata-usb bridge and hdd are all funtional, we should at least be able to read something using data recovery software such as TeskDisk. Download it from here. Extract the downloaded zip file first, then run the testdisk_win as administrator. Choose the option to create a new log file and press Enter to proceed. select the external disk (using arrow keys) and proceed, select the Intel partition table type selected and press Enter, select analyse then quick search
Old 02-15-2018, 06:34 AM   #13
Registered Member

Im doing that now
Old 02-15-2018, 06:49 AM   #14
Registered Member

I just tried that nothing happend
Old 02-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #15
Registered Member

its displaying partition read error
Old 02-15-2018, 08:07 AM   #16
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
its displaying partition read error
This affirms my suspicion that either the usb cable, usb-sata bridge or hdd is faulty. It is at this point that I have to ask, what happened to it? Did it drop or got knocked/bumped into something before this problem started? Was it in use and suddenly stopped working? Has it been having detection problems? Has it been in storage for a long time and so on? Kindly give a brief history of the problem, right before it ceased working.

Can you feel it spinning when connected? Place an ear close to it while connected and listen for some unusual clicking or knocking sounds coming from inside. This is most likely a hardware issue and NO software can fix it. I suggest you try a different cable. If that makes no difference, I suggest you get someone who can open it and remove the hdd from the enclosure, and have them try to access it using another enclosure or directly attached to a desktop PC.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #17
Registered Member

It was having detection problems before this it would take a few seconds to appear in my computer
Old 02-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #18
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
It was having detection problems before this it would take a few seconds to appear in my computer
Kindly try and be comprehensive in your replies. The suggestions and questions that we pose here are all relevant and can go a long way in correctly identifying and possibly fixing the problem you have. Appropriately respond to all questions asked and suggestions made. It avoids us repeating the same questions over and over because you didn't think it was important to answer them the first time they were posed, so again:

Can you feel it spinning when connected? Place an ear close to it while connected and listen for some unusual clicking or knocking sounds coming from inside. This is most likely a hardware issue and NO software can fix it. I suggest you try a different cable. If that makes no difference, I suggest you get someone who can open it and remove the hdd from the enclosure, and have them try to access it using another enclosure or directly attached to a desktop PC.
Closed Thread