Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Long term hang on BIOS screen

This is a discussion on Long term hang on BIOS screen within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, First post!! So I built a computer probably 10 years ago and have been upgrading it piece wise

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys,

First post!! So I built a computer probably 10 years ago and have been upgrading it piece wise since. Right now I've got a GA-P35-DS3L with a Q6600. The other day I was plugging in a usb charger and i got shocked, nothing crazy just some static (or so i thought). This resulted in both of my monitors going black and SlOWLY coming back in, window by frame .. like an alt-tab from a full screen game on a slow computer.

I restarted the computer and it hangs on the bios screen right before it counts the memory it even types out "Memor" and then stays there. I've restarted several times. So this past time, when it hung at that location I pulled out my laptop and started searching for a forum like this. Midway through my account registration it continued typing mem check and hardware check like nothing had ever happened. (That's saying a lot for the magic this forum works). Anyway, I was hoping someone might know what's going on or a way to debug which component might have been shocked and need replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm typing this from the computer, but I'd like to not wait 7 minutes to boot up each time I restart and I'm assuming this is a sign of more trouble to come.

Also note, this isn't just my memory counting slowly on the screen, it pretty much freezes for 5 minutes and then continues.

Thanks!!!

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Emeritus

Brand & Model of RAM-Graphics-PSU?
Does the PC operate normally after it completes booting?

Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

G.Skill 4gb PC2-6400
GeForce GT 430
Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL PSU

The computer does seem to be a bit slower with loading things, parsing changes on websites, switching between apps; which lends itself to a memory issue. There are 2 x 2gb, might it be worth trying to take each out and see if one of them is damaged in some way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Emeritus

Try using one stick of RAM at a time and see if it helps.

Closed Thread