Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Lockups at random points during the boot process?

This is a discussion on Lockups at random points during the boot process? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. I recently purchased a cheapo "PC Chips M952" motherboard to build another computer with some spare parts I had

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 10:33 PM   #1

EEK!

Hello. I recently purchased a cheapo "PC Chips M952" motherboard to build another computer with some spare parts I had laying around.

The hard drive, 3d card, cd writer, ram, and processor were all working perfectly before my last major upgrade. I installed them on the new mobo (case, power supply, and mobo are the only new things) and booted it up.

I got a message that the CMOS settings were incorrect. Fine. I tell it to pick the default "safe" options and continue booting. It boots to my hard drive (empty) instead of my CD ROM. Ok, so I reboot the machine and tell it to boot to the CD Writer first, and restart. Now it hangs after drive detection.

Every time I restart, it continues to hang at a random point in the boot process (I got it to boot to my Win XP install CD once, but it hung as it was loading the install program). Usually I have to reset the bios in order to even get back in to the settings.

Any ideas on what could be causing this to happen? I've tried re-seating everything on the mobo about 3 times, and tried every combination of BIOS settings I can think of.

Hell, it hangs at different places even if I don't change anything and just reboot it.

I have a feeling I just bought a really crappy motherboard and will probably need to return it and upgrade to something slightly more name-brand.

I have a 40-gig IDE hard drive installed, a generic CD Writer (though I tried 5 or 6 different CD Roms), two stick of DDR (tried each individually, still locked up), and a GeForce FX 5900. The case has a built-in 300W power supply.

I've never seen these symptoms before so I don't have a clue what the problem could be. Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2004, 04:55 AM   #2
mark3567

Hi,

Darn things can give you fits, can't they? Something you said gave me a clue to a possible cause:

Quote:
The hard drive, 3d card, cd writer, ram, and processor were all working perfectly before my last major upgrade. I installed them on the new mobo (case, power supply, and mobo are the only new things) and booted it up.
If you did not do a clean install of the hard drive on this motherboard then the computer is looking for the other motherboard as the old chipset drivers are telling it to. It is always best to do a clean install when you set up a new motherboard and then load the chipset drivers for your new board as soon as you get the OS installed. I would recommend doing that if you did not take that step.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:04 AM   #3

Well, I'm trying to do a fresh install is the thing.

Can't even get to the point where I can reformat the hard drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2004, 06:18 AM   #4
mark3567

Hi,

Try the following:

Clear CMOS

Enter the BIOS setup menu and set it to default after the clear option.

While there, set your boot order to:

CDRom
Floppy
Hard Drive

Save and exit

Reboot with the CDRom in the CD Drive

See if you can find it that way.,

Addendum:

If that does not work, then reseat your CPU and heatsink. Be sure to use Thermal Paste (Artic Silver). Also, use only one stick of memory and reseat that and the video card also. Let me know how it goes.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:40 AM   #5
Citizen of the world

A common cause for random stops is bad memory. Try one of these memory tests overnight, it should run totally error-free.

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic

MEMtest86
Closed Thread