Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Locating an older processor...

This is a discussion on Locating an older processor... within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I'm on the lookout for an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ processor as an upgrade for my old computer

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: OS X Yosemite | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Windows 10 x86

Hi all,

I'm on the lookout for an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ processor as an upgrade for my old computer (socket 754).

Searches on eBay have proven fruitless and so I'm hoping a member of this forum may be able to inform me of a desktop computer which shipped with this particular processor in the hope I'll be able to buy it cheap, strip the processor and sell the components.

Model numbers of the chip are ADA3700AEP5AR or ADA3700BOX.

More details of the chip are available here: AMD Processors for Desktops: AMD Phenom

Note: Please don't confuse this CPU with the mobile version floating around as I've been told the two aren't compatible despite sharing the same name & socket...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

I have to ask: Why only that specific chip? Yes it's the fastest desktop 754 proc, and has 1MB of L2 cache, but the actual difference you would see between it and most others in the series, will be minimal.

PS: You are correct. There are some 754 notebook procs which are significantly faster, but very few desktop PCs have BIOS support for them.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcavan View Post
I have to ask: Why only that specific chip? Yes it's the fastest desktop 754 proc, and has 1MB of L2 cache, but the actual difference you would see between it and most others in the series, will be minimal.
The processors in this series are all quite old now & would likely be selling at roughly the same price as each other... I guess I'd have more peace of mind knowing I'd got the best of the best instead of making do with something else...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Try here Lowest prices and reviews for Socket 754 Cpu | Page 1
Old 06-16-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannpp2012 View Post
Thanks for the tip, bro!

I'm currently running a Sempron 1.6 GHz processor and was hoping I'd be able to see a big difference with the 2.4 Athlon with 1024 MB L1 cache!

If anybody has a working one for sale please let me know! :-)
Old 06-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Registered Member

Grrr.... This is SOOOO frustrating... I found the processor on eBay from a German seller but they're selling for 85 Buy It Now!

Emailed them a plea but not holding out much hope... ;-)
Old 06-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

A move from any Sempron chip to an Athlon is a move that will make a difference for sure. That cpu had to be the worst thing Amd ever offered.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Troubled

I ran that 754 3700+ back in the day with an Asus NVidia chipset mobo along with an (ATI) X850XT PE. Heck of an effective combo for a basic gamer rig at that time. Good luck finding your chip
Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Registered Member

So the eBay seller read my message and offered to sell it to me for 73 including P&P ('saving' me 15).

Very kind of him to reply with an offer but I couldn't part with THAT many beer tokens for such an old chip!

After perusing some old benchmark reviews online I was surprised to see that the 3400+ (the next model down) ran the same or better through testing and so found one on eBay for 15 with stock cooler!

Hopefully it will work! ;-)
Closed Thread