Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Liquid Cooling for an FX-8350 AM3+ Socket

This is a discussion on Liquid Cooling for an FX-8350 AM3+ Socket within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So, I'm looking to invest into liquid cooling for my computer, and I found that the Best Buy near me

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 11:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to NFSRacer

So, I'm looking to invest into liquid cooling for my computer, and I found that the Best Buy near me has a Corsair H60 liquid cooling unit for sale for about $70 ($20 off the price that the manufacture is asking for!), however while the unit says it supports AM3 sockets, I'm concerned if this'll work with AM3+? I get the feeling it won't, but I figured I'd ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Yes, the AM3 socket was the same as the AM3+. It should mount without an issue.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

So, I got the cooler, however I'm trying to remove the existing cooler from the CPU. Before anyone asks, the system has been running all day with ambient temps exceeding 80F degrees in the day time, so the system should be nice and toasty. When I got started trying to remove the heat sink, I managed to get the mounting braces removed, and when I tried giving a pull to the fan and sink, the damned heat sink and CPU came out both! Thankfully, the pins don't look damaged, so fingers crossed on that. Nevertheless, how do I get the CPU free now? I'm tempted at using a knife to see if I can wedge it free, but I don't want to damage the CPU, so I'm not even going to attempt it, unless I know it can work safely.

UPDATE:
I managed to get it free after working with trying to get a pair of needle nose pliers under it, so it's good now! Just got to get the thing clean of thermal paste, then I can try it again. Hopefully everything will work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2018, 01:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Okay, so I got the CPU and radiator and such all installed. Works like a charm! One core (and last) question, however: How long do these things last before they need to be worked on/replaced? This is my first ever instance working with a liquid cooling unit, so I'm a bit of a scrub when it comes to this. XD
Old 05-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Since it's a closed loop, they will last longer than the computer.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Cool! Then, I think I'm good! Thanks for the advice, guys!
Closed Thread