Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Lenovo T470s Supervisor Password

This is a discussion on Lenovo T470s Supervisor Password within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey I just bought a Lenovo T470s second hand. I knew when I bought it that the BIOS was locked

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 01:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey
I just bought a Lenovo T470s second hand. I knew when I bought it that the BIOS was locked with a supervisor password and that I really want to get that password off.

I have two options:

Re-flashing the BIOS chip: It seems through the digging that I've done that it would be possible to take the BIOS-chip off of the motherboard, flash it with the same BIOS-version that it already has, and then solder it on again. I've also seen a youtube video of someone just shorting two pins on the chip while booting and that somehow allowed him to enter the settings of his bios, where he could then remove the password.

Changing the motherboard via Lenovo: I contacted Lenovo customer support before I bought it to make sure that I could, if worse comes to worse, send it in for a motherboard swap, which would also resolve my issue. That would however be a lot more expensive.

Those are my options.

Any thoughts on the first one? I'm not a total stranger to soldering, but I've never dealt with surface-mounted stuff before. Also, I'm not even sure how the flashing would work. Does anyone have any experience with clearing a BIOS password by this method?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2018, 02:25 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi, and welcome to TSF the forum rules prevent us from assisting with password issues as we have no way to verify the ownership of any computer, since you bought it this way it would have been easier to be given the password and that would have allowed you more options, I would suggest contacting the seller to get it.
I will now have to close this thread.
Forum rules can be found here https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...ork&page=rules

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
system/applications running slow
Hello TSF. My laptop is running extremely slowly. Starting up from ShutDown or from Sleep takes awhile longer than usual, and opening any programs/applications is very, very slow. After I've been using the computer for awhile it runs better, but is still very sluggish. I have done chkdsk,...
sborau Resolved HJT Threads 9 12-31-2017 03:35 PM
Windows laptop infected with viruses
Hi. I have a laptop which must be infected with viruses etc. When I open chrome or IE new pages open up to ad sites. The antivirus which is already installed is notifying me of background changes and system changes from unknown (for me) program names I can't remember now. I installed AVG...
williamd244 Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 8 05-27-2015 06:26 AM
cannot startup Firefox -- I see the trojan
I am unable to open my Firefox browser, and now iTunes won't open. I had done some scans (Avast, Malware Bytes) and nothing turned up. Somehow(maybe through Process Quicklink) I found a trojan, but I cannot remove it: csrss.exe Below is the dds report, and attached are the required docs. ...
sborau Resolved HJT Threads 20 12-21-2013 10:01 PM
w32/blaster.worm follow up
My original post was closed due to inactivity. (I borrowed a computer while waiting for info and just procrastinated dealing with this issue) Here is the link to the original post: https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/w32-blaster-worm-follow-up-613982.html I have downloaded the...
danib.3 Resolved HJT Threads 40 01-04-2012 07:05 AM
External disc folders dispay as shortcuts
I think something must be wrong with my external disc folders and folders on my external HDD. They show up as shortcuts. When I open them a new window is opened and I can access the content. However that seems very strange. Also, I noticed that the update of my Antivir Software does not work...
armbroke Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 2 08-31-2011 08:25 PM