Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Lenovo H30 Series

This is a discussion on Lenovo H30 Series within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Lenovo H30 series desktop computer with Windows 10 Home Premium installed - when I can get to

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 03:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Lenovo H30 series desktop computer with Windows 10 Home Premium installed - when I can get to boot. When I power up the computer the power button lights up and the CPU fan runs but there is no indication at all on my monitor. I have connected a another known good video cable and monitor and there is still nothing shown on the monitor. There is also no 'beep' when the computer is powered up - it just plays 'dead'. I have tried re-seating the RAM module, video card and checked all the cable connections on the motherboard and hard drive. Any advice would be most appreciated as the computer is out of warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 03:22 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Does the Desktop come with some sort of Diag lights or indicators ?

If you remove the video card and the RAM and power up do you get no-memory beep sequence ?

Old 03-15-2018, 04:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your prompt reply. The computer does not have any diagnostic lights and when I removed the video card the computer just played 'dead' with the power light on and the CPU fan running. There are no beeps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 04:21 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

High probability that CPU/Mobo ran into issues, best to do a bench test.

Did you add/remove any new hardware recently ?

Old 03-15-2018, 04:27 AM   #5
Registered Member

I do not have the facilities to do a bench test if that means testing individual components. The computer was running okay until recently and I have not added or changed any hardware.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:54 AM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

a guide on how to bench test https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...er-937193.html

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #7
Registered Member

I got as far as here in the guide and got no beeps and there was nothing on the monitor (no BIOS flash)

12. If you are not getting a beep code, no signal to the monitor, or the system will not power on, switch off the power supply and inspect everything step by step. Try swapping to your second memory stick, see if fans spin on the CPU cooler and video card, and see if LEDs on the motherboard turn on. If you are still receiving issues during your bench test, contact our hardware team here.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:36 AM   #8
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I think to some extent the PSU is Ok, but can't rule it out.

There is no easy way of testing the Motherboard/CPU combo, if you can shell a few bucks, get a Motherboard Test Card either the PCI/USB one, this is a card which comes with a set of hex codes and Voltage lights (V are not too accurate but ok) with better diag indicators. When we follow the POST sequence we can to some extent identify where it is failing, but again, some steps can be ambiguous..

There have been instances where even with the card I couldn't get anywhere with VRM failures..Keep an open mind about getting the Mobo+CPU having to be replaced.

Start with clearing CMOS and Boot without any memory or GFX.. If you have onboard GFX, we can switch to that..

The Fan RPM will start at full speed and then is supposed to cut down and kind of settle in, listen in to see if this is happening.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:47 AM   #9
Registered Member

When I removed the RAM card the Lenovo computer beeps (as I would expect) but when I inserted the RAM the computer did not beep (no single beeps) and there was still nothing on the monitor (no BIOS indication). I then removed the hard drive and connected it to my other Dell computer and installed a Lenovo Windows 10 image that had been backed up earlier on an external hard drive. I then put the hard drive back into the Lenovo computer but the same problem occurred - no indication on the monitor.

At this point I ran out of ideas and left the Lenovo computer powered up. I came back 30 minutes later and the monitor showed the Windows sign-in screen - HURRAY I thought it was fixed. Unfortunately when I rebooted the computer the same thing happened. Initially there was no indication on the monitor but after approx 30 minutes the computer burst into life and the sign-in screen appeared.

Any advice on how to track down what is causing the 30 minute delay would be appreciated. In the meantime I will try running msconfig and try turning off any non-Windows programs and see if that points to the cause of the problem.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:39 AM   #10
Registered Member

I booted into safe mode but once again it took ages for any disk activity (HDD light blinking) to show on the computer - it took about 20 minutes this time for the computer to burst into activity. A uninstalled the AVG Antivirus program (there were 2 versions installed) but that made no difference to the boot time either. I used the installed Lenovo Solutions Centre program to carry out a full hardware test (HDD, motherboard, memory, etc) and no problems were found. I am at a loss to understand why the HDD takes so long to show any activity after the computer is switched on.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #11
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Well if it was me I would try another power supply could try supply from the Dell computer if have the right connectors.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thanks, I will borrow a power supply adaptor and see if that fixes the problem. The power supply is like the one that would supply a laptop that converts 250V ac to 20V dc and so will be easy to substitute.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:46 AM   #13
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I'd think it's a monitor issue, is your monitor old ? if so do this..

Shutdown the computer, turn it back on. Do you see a light on the monitor ?

Also, turn off the monitor using it's button and turn it back on, give it about 5 seconds, repeat these steps multiple times in 5 second intervals, let us know if this brings up the display.

If the above step works, you're looking at bad capacitors on your monitor, you can take it to a local tech and ask him to replace the capacitors on the power board.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #14
Registered Member

I have connected the PC to 2 different monitors and got the same problem. One is my own monitor which works perfectly on my Dell computer and so it is not a monitor problem. In case it was a power adaptor problem I took the PC to a colleagues home and used his power adaptor for his Lenovo PC but I got the same problem, no "Lenovo" splash screen and no HDD light showing activity on the HDD when I powered on the PC. However, after leaving the PC for about 20 - 30 minutes is burst into life (HDD light activity) and booted into Windows. Strange!
Old 03-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #15
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

which H30 series do you have the -00 or -05? do you have a cd drive in it? if so try swapping the power cables and sata cables around with the hard drive.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:41 AM   #16
Registered Member

The computer is an H30-05 (has a laptop style power adaptor and no internal power supply). It has a CD/DVD drive and I have already tried swapping the power and SATA data cables but that did not make any difference.

The following voltages are reported by Speccy for the motherboard:
CPU Core - 1.392V
Memory Controller - 1.512V
+3.3V - 2.880V
+5V - 2.802V
+12V - 8.064V
-12V - (4.080)V
-5V - (9.216)V
+5V High Threshold - 2.782V
CMOS Battery - 1.620V

I am not sure whether Speccy gives a reliable indication of the voltages for the Lenovo motherboard as these values are the same with a known serviceable power adaptor which I borrowed from a colleague with a similar Lenovo PC.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #17
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Ditto on the not trusting Speecy's voltage readings. Need to double check with something else before making any decisions.

--

Does the computer exhibit the same long delay problem when booting from a Live CD/USB?
A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or USB key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #18
Registered Member

There is nothing on the monitor during the initial boot and pressing the F1 or F12 key does not bring anything up on the monitor. The only time I see anything on the monitor is when it bursts into life in about 20 - 30 minutes. So I don't see how I can get it to boot to a bootable CD as the BIOS cannot be accessed to make the CD boot before the HDD.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #19
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

it's possible the motherboard is going bad maybe a component on the motherboard needs to heat up before it starts working.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:23 PM   #20
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

The poorest component in a branded desktop is always the psu and this unit is old enough, I wouldn't hesitate to simply replace that with a good quality psu and bet that fixes problem.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread